AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:24pm
post #1 of

Has anyone ever added melted chocolate to your buttercream icing or cake recipe? I'm curious as to how well it would taste.

I can't find a chocolate buttercream icing recipe that is to die for. I used Wilton's chocolate buttercream recipe but it really doesn't taste like chocolate. It actually tasted kind of funny!

Any advice or suggestions for a good chocolate buttercream icing recipe? I heard about Cali4Dawn's but I don't want to make chocolate ganache to combine with buttercream icing.

31 replies
thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:30pm
post #2 of

I made my chocolate buttercream by adding melted chocolate. It was delicious! Every time I opened the cake box I wanted to take a bite!

Debbie

LAA Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:30pm
post #3 of

I have the same problem. I think that the Wilton recipe tastes "grainy" for the lack of a better word. I have tried melted chaocolate and the results were not great but who is to say that I did not screw it up. Hope someone has a good idea!!!!

Lisa

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:32pm
post #4 of

My wilton recipe was "grainy" too.

Debbie

LAA Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:37pm
post #5 of

Debbie

What kind of chocolate did you use?

Lisa

montanakate Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:39pm
post #6 of

thecakemaker, how much chocolate did you add amd to how big of a batch of buttercream? I'm looking for a good dark chocolate or fudgey frosting recipe, I'm hoping this will work out.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:40pm
post #7 of

Debbie please share.

I also want to know what kind of chocolate you used and did you add the melted chocolate to the Wilton's buttercream recipe?

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:40pm
post #8 of

I'm not sure of the brand. I got it at the grocery store in the isle with the baking "stuff". I just melted it in the microwave and poured it into the mixer with the buttercream and blended it.

Look at the smiley face cake in my gallery.

Debbie

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:44pm
post #9 of

Sorry ~ you guys are asking questions as i'm answering! I actually used the wilton class buttercream recipe and added the chocolate to that. I used a semi sweet chocolate but there's no reason you couldn't use dark chocolate or white chocolate with it.

Debbie

montanakate Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:46pm

Thanks for the tips, the smiley face cake looks delicious! About how much chocolate did you add?

LAA Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:48pm

Debbie

Your cakes are BEAUTIFUL.

Lisa

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:51pm

Thank you Lisa! I added a couple squares (1 oz each i think). Just add a couple and blend it then taste it to see if that's what you're looking for. You can always add more! I like to sit a little buttercream on the side in case I add too much too. That way I can always add the buttercream back in if I have to.

Hope this helps!
Debbie

montanakate Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:54pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm making a chocolate cake w/ chocolate dipped strawberries on it today, so I will put your ideas to work right away icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:56pm

This is so good to know. I bought some of the large Hershey chocolate bars from Kroger yesterday. They were $1 each. Do you think those will work as well?

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:56pm

Sounds yummy!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:58pm

Debbie

You are a lfe saver. I'm glad I asked this question b/c it seems like others want to know the same thing. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:04pm

Hershey's should work just fine. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't.

Debbie

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:05pm

AgentCakeBaker - you're right! This topic took right off!

Debbie

luceymoose Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:13pm

I almost always use the hersheys dark chocolate bars for my choc bc. It turns out soooo good. I also use the Wilton recipie but I use butter instead of shortening. It gives a better flavor. Sometimes, I use the bittersweet chocolate in the bakig aisle to tone down the sweetness. Hope this helps

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:25pm

Thanks luceymoose.

momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:54pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

Thanks luceymoose.

LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT AGENT!!!

IVE BEEN ONTHE HUNT FOR A GOD CHOCOLATE RECIPE TOO!

momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:56pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

Thanks for the tips. I'm making a chocolate cake w/ chocolate dipped strawberries on it today, so I will put your ideas to work right away icon_smile.gif

LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT MON!!!!!

montanakate Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:20am

I just posted the picture of the cake w/ strawberries. I like how the cake looks but I still wish that I could get the frosting darker. I used semisweet chocolate chips and probably close to 2 cups of them (melted) and added to the bc recipe. I even added a little more to see if it would darken up more but no luck icon_sad.gif Do you think that I need to use a darker chocolate, black food coloring, I don't know what icon_cry.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:24am
Quote:

I just posted the picture of the cake w/ strawberries. I like how the cake looks but I still wish that I could get the frosting darker. I used semisweet chocolate chips and probably close to 2 cups of them (melted) and added to the bc recipe. I even added a little more to see if it would darken up more but no luck icon_sad.gif Do you think that I need to use a darker chocolate, black food coloring, I don't know what icon_cry.gif

wow! that turned out great!! how did the chocolat bc taste??
did you dip your strawberries in the chocolate chips??

montanakate Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:36am

Thanks for the compliment, that's so nice of you! The bc tasted great! I really can't complain about that, I'm just being picky and would like the color to be darker. The strawberries were dipped in good ol' nestle's chips icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Posted 3 May 2005 , 12:28pm

cake looks yummy! you might want to try adding some black or brown coloring to darken it.

Debbie

m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 6:15pm

Ok, I was doing a search and found this...I bet you could just use the frosting recipe from this
http://starchefs.com/chocolate_lovers/1999/html/november/recipe_03.shtml
and also this http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/03/015212.shtml
and this... http://www.shavkin.com/darkchocfrost.html

maybe these can help you out!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 3 May 2005 , 9:01pm
Quote:

Your cake looks so delicious! Great job! I can't wait to try it.

montanakate Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:38am

Mouse,
thanks for the recipes, I thought the first one looked really good. I'm printing them all out so I have a few to work with. Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:45am

Someone on CC mixes Ganache w/ BCI. I think it is calidawn. That would be a good icing!!!!! I'm sure it would get dark too MontanaKate. I'm gonna try it~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%