Cake Supply Storage

Decorating By DeniseMarlaine Updated 13 Jun 2006 , 3:57am by JulieB

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 42

I did a quick search and found a lot of ideas for storing cake-making supplies. This is really tough for me as I have no basement or attic and DH does woodworking in garage--no way I'm going to subject my stuff to all that sawdust. I'm wondering if anyone has tried those mix 'n match carryall gizmos that Michael's and Joann's sell for sewing and other crafts. They're bright pink and turquoise and you buy a big container with handles and then figure out which assorted smaller containers will fit in there. I have one for my sewing and wondered if anyone has tried them for cake supplies.

41 replies
CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 42

bump.. I would like to know what other people use as well!

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 42

I have one of those carrying cases, but I wish I would have gotten a regular tackle box instead. The tackle boxes seem to have so many more individual spaces to put all the different items.

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 42

I have a wilton tackle like box and it is greatm but there are just not enough places. I have WAY more tints then it hold and it is overflowing with stuff now and then I have all the cake pans and such too icon_smile.gif lol

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 42

I store all my stuff in a big plastic rubbermaid storage container. for the most part it all fits in there - but I do not have that much yet.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 42

I use plastic shoe boxes on a shelving unit off my breakfast room. I also have one of those tool box drawer type thingies for scews and such, to put my tips in. and several of those plastic fishing boxes for putting my dust in it and such. Even with all that, I still can't find anything! haha

I have a wilton tackle box. Used it once. The tips don't stay in the tip holder, and I don't use Wilton colors, so the little holes for colors don't do me muc hgood. Another item to put in ebay! hahaha

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 42

Check out Home Depot/Lowes type places. They have the storage cases that have many small drawers. I found one that connects to another, so it will grow with my "collection"!
Good Luck

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 42

I also have the Wilton tackle box and it way too small for me now. I use it for the little things, like tips, flower nails, gel colors, etc and large ziploc bags for the remaining things with small parts. I have actually devoted two kitchen cabinets - one for the decorating supplies and another for the pans. Luckily I have the cabinet space. If I didn't, I am not sure what I would do icon_cry.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 42

I store mine in the dining room. I have a book shelf strictly for cake decorating stuff. I put odd & ends things in plastic boxes. I am overflowing to the dining rom table & chairs icon_cry.gif some one help before I must just make my dining room the cake supply room! icon_lol.gif

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 42

I use a tackle box. It's good for the time being. Have you dear hubby make you something : )

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 42

Someone was reading my mind!!!! I am wondering what other people do because I have turned my master bedroom into a "warehouse". I bought those heavy metal shelf units that hold up to 500 lbs per shelf (i have 4 of them) and I also have those plastic drwer unit cart things for all of my little stuff! Works out great but when i need something, I have to run all the way upstairs for it. I have one shelf unit just full of pans. The others are cake boards, boxes, domes,and other bulky things.
And of course, I keep adding to my collection.
Another unit is for items to be sold on ebay. It is a very slow process for me!!!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 42

I have the "tackle box" from Wilton for my tips, colors,bags. etc.
But for all the other extras,turntables, dowels, cardboard rounds,etc., I have 2 of the stackable trunks that you use to decorate your home. You know, the ones that are painted with flowers and look antiques. Everything fits in them,(except the pans), and no one knows my decorating stuff is in the living room!

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 42

Great idea Subaru! I've put a lot of work into decorating my home and don't want to give in to the temptation of Rubbermaid bins and plastic wheeled carts in the dining and living rooms. Now I'm thinking painted trunks and large, lidded baskets. Look out Pier I, here I come!

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 42

I am still new to this world and my dining room table was overflowing. I purchased a plastic file cabinet type unit from Office supply store and am storing my bags, colors, etc. I keep in my dining room but can roll to the kitchen and have the supplies handy. I also purchased a large container for my pans and larger items. So far this has worked but I am sure I will outgrow this.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 42

I have the rubbermaid five drawer wheeled cart thingy and it works great.....actually have 2 of them now as my supply has grown....I have one drawer with all cookie cutters, one with all gumpaste items, one with all craft (non-edible things) bows, pearls, etc. I keep all my tips and such in my wilton tackle box thingy but the drawers are great, they're see through and keep everything organized!

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 42

If you're looking for real furniture, I highly recommend this sideboard from Pier1. The shelves are adjustable and the doors fold open all the way to the side and are magnetic so they stay open. It looks great and it also provides a flat surface on top to store items temporarily until you need them.
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 42

thats a gorgeous piece of furniture.......bet it's not cheap!!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 42

All my cake stuff lives in my bedroom until I need it. It's a sad (not to mention annoying and inconvient) sitution. I keep it all in my childhood toy box with the books on a shelf in my closet. Unfortenatly i can't let my self get much more because I have ran out of room!!!! I guess then I will have to move onto rubbermaid totes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 42

I like your idea subaru. It would be out of sight but still be handy. Thanks for the tip.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:47am
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica0271

I store mine in the dining room. I have a book shelf strictly for cake decorating stuff. I put odd & ends things in plastic boxes. I am overflowing to the dining rom table & chairs icon_cry.gif some one help before I must just make my dining room the cake supply room! icon_lol.gif

Were you looking in my kitchen? LOL... I have the wilton tackle box and a plastic storage box with my pans in it. I have a huge cardbord box with my fondant and cookie cutters in it and my candy stuff is on the dinning room table. My kitchen/dinning area is my cake/cookie/candy room. birthday.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 3 May 2006 , 1:30am
post #21 of 42

I asked my Dad to choose a tackle box for me when he went to "Canadian Tire" last spring. He's an expert in fishing so I thought he could choose a big one, not too expensive and lots of little spaces for my tips. So he found one for 30$ and it does the job. My cake pans are in rubbermaid huge storage boxes, with notes on the covers so I can find the right one at the right time.

Lorris

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 3 May 2006 , 4:01pm
post #22 of 42

I have two VERY LARGE storage tubs that I keep all my pans in and then my husband found a big tackle box at W.M that I keep my icing gun, tips, bags, etc. in. I also have a couple of storage carts with wire baskets that I keep all my books, pillars and plates in.
I think any good size tacle box is perfect for your small things like tips, etc.
TAB

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:52pm
post #23 of 42

Hi Ya'll,

There are lots of great ideas here.

Thank you all!

I have almost all of my pans hanging on my kitchen walls. Devil and Demon love to look at them while eating. Family and friends are always requesting a cake done in this character or that. I make them get me a new toy for a cake. LOL.

I keep all of the pan inserts, my kitchen appliance booklets and reciepts in plastic dividers in a 3-ring binder so I can find them easily. the cookie cutters (as of this past weekend) are now in an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote.(ugly but effective)

Happy baking to ya'll.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:58pm
post #24 of 42

I have a question between making cakes, working, raising a family and sitting on this website is anyone elses house a mess all the time? I just don't seem to have enough time left over to clean.......lol.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:02pm
post #25 of 42

My husband got one of those red tool boxes for Christmas one year. The kind with all the drawers in it. Well, it was still new in the box until about 6 months ago. It is now in my kitchen holding all my supplies except for my cake separator plates and my pans. The top part works great for all the bottles of Americolor and Wilton colors. Drawers hold all the knives and stencils & etc. perfectly.

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:10pm
post #26 of 42

I just recently bought a scrapbookers cart. I was looking at standard kitchen carts like the kind with wheels that you put a microwave on because I needed more movable counter space in my tiny kitchen and I wandered around the corner of the furniture section of my local fred meyers store and found this cart. Instead of being open underneath, it has drawers half way down and little double cupboard space underneath. It also has this really neat slot at the top that goes all the way across and my jelly roll pans and silpats fit perfectly in there. I love it!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:02am
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones17

I have a question between making cakes, working, raising a family and sitting on this website is anyone elses house a mess all the time? I just don't seem to have enough time left over to clean.......lol.

I soooooo hear ya!!! House is a total wreck!!! I seem to have a problem with taking all of my supplies out to use them, then try to put everything back where it belongs!!
Also the tiny terror that I live with makes an even bigger mess with toys and not wanting to put them away after playing!!!
It is like walking thru a mine field stepping over things!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:37am
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I have a wilton tackle box. Used it once. The tips don't stay in the tip holder.

For those of you that have this problem, you can lay a piece of soft foam over the top of your tips so that if the box tips any they stay in place.

When I started decorating I didn't get the Wilton tool box, because I figured I would out grow it. But since I started teaching I love it, because it makes it easy to keep up with what I need to take to class.

So it may not work in every day use, but if you do wedding cakes or something like that, it might be good to have to carry your emergancy supplies with you.

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:59am
post #29 of 42

I recently just bought some of the Sterlite "Flip Tops" clear storage containers (they have a hinged lid--bonus). They are made to stack perfectly, even in different sizes. The small square ones are just right for icing colors (I can fit 16 Wilton jars in one layer w/room for 16 of their tiny jars on top); up to 6 4.5 to 5 oz bottles of sugar glitter/sprinkles/fetties; or just a bunch of couplers/bags/even my small Wilton tip organizer. They are clear so you can see exactly what's in them when you open the cabinet and they are compact enough for two to stack on a 9" hi cabinet shelf.

Oh, and did I mention CHEAP...$1 for the sm. sq, $2ish for the shoe box size...from Wally World and I think JoAnn's carries them too. thumbs_up.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 5 May 2006 , 11:50am
post #30 of 42

I went to the Container Store. They have any storage item you would need. I bought small hard plastic dividers for my tips and gel paste. And larger cariers to place them in with carry handles, etc. The place is unbelievable. If you can't find storage there then you wont find it anywhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%