Kitchen Cabinets

Lounge By butternut Updated 19 May 2006 , 6:00am by YumFrosting

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:16am
post #1 of 7

Alrighty, I've got a question for anyone out there who knows anything about wood. We are looking into purchasing new kitchen cabinets. We went to a cabinet maker today and saw some cabinets that I thought were really pretty. The fronts were made of alder wood. I'm just not that familiar with Alder wood. Does anyone know anything about it, or how it would compare to something like oak? THanks so much!!

6 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:39am
post #2 of 7

I've only heard of it, but don't really know anything about it. Maybe somebody will reply who does, but this will bump you up to the top of the list!

Good luck with those new cabinets! Janice

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:43am
post #3 of 7

I know some about it...my father owns a company that sells church furniture - pews, podiums, chairs, etc. He's been in this business for 30 years, since I was 2 yrs old, so I've grown up around it.

I said that to say this...most pew manufacturers make thier 'OAK' pews from Alder wood! It's so close in comparison, in every way, but MUCH less costly. The grain is very similar to oak, it's a hardwood just like oak, it's durability is pretty much the same, etc., etc. As far as quality, it's very much the same as oak...so the only real difference in the two (to the market) is cost...I'm not sure why Alder wood is less costly than Oak, but it is. Could just be the supply/demand thing.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with those cabinets you saw that were Alder wood...that is, if you like them. They're gonna give you the same look and feel and durability as oak without the same price tag!

Be aware, though...some people will charge OAK prices for items made of Alder wood. The manufacturer DEFINITELY pays far LESS for the Alder, but if they're dishonest, will represent it as oak. The only reason I know this is because my Dad almost got sued last year thanks to a disgruntled/fired salesman. The salesman went to a former customer and told them that the pews they bought ($146,000 worth!) were not oak, as represented by my Dad's company, that they were Alder wood. Come to find out, anyone who sells Alder as 'Oak' is commiting a crime...it has to be disclosed. Dad didn't get sued and worked it all out...but this has been going on in the 'industry' for YEARS, using Alder wood and calling it Oak...but somewhere down the line they made it mandatory that sales people tell their customers and explain the difference so they can make an informed decision. Needless to say, my Dad now makes it known to any customer interested in Oak, that there's an alternative that is commonly used (Alder) and sometimes passed off as oak by dishonest companies. He explains the differences to the customer and gives them the option of the Alder or true Oak...9 times out of 10 they choose the Alder! And he's never had a complaint on the quality of the furniture - before or after he started disclosing the oak/alder tihng.

I'd make sure they're charging less for the Alder wood than their Oak products before I commit. Sorry so long, I just wanted to share what I know about this and I hope it helps you! icon_smile.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:05am
post #4 of 7

JennT!!!! I'm impressed! My husband and I build signs.....some are redwood blasted...so I speak some wood language too. GREAT INFORMATION~ I LEARNED SOMETHING!!!!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:09am
post #5 of 7

veejaytx thanks for the bump.
JennT, I can't thank you enough for all of the great information. It has helped tremendously. This is the first time that my husband and I have ever purchased cabinets and we know absolutely nothing about the different types of wood. The cabinets that we saw that were made of alder were really, really pretty and with the information that I received from you, I am sure that we are going with those cabinets. Again, thank you so very, very much!!!!
Margie

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

So glad that it helped! I can honestly say that I never expected to share that little nugget of info with anyone...LOL...ESPECIALLY not on a cake site! icon_razz.gif Just figured it would sit stored away in my brain forever, I guess...LOL. Congrats on the new cabinets! thumbs_up.gif

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 19 May 2006 , 6:00am
post #7 of 7

As far as I know, Alder used to be an inexpensive wood, but the cost has risen lately because it has become quite popular. If you go on Parade of Homes tours, you will notice quite a bit of Alder usage in trim, cabinets, and doors. It is often stained to look like Cherry, so often you don't realize what it is until you ask. My sisters house she got new 2 years ago has it, and so does the new house I just bought. So, I don't know if you'll get a bargain on it anymore, but who knows? I haven't seen one oak kitchen in any of the new, upper scale homes I have looked at lately. Definitely go Alder...even if it costs the same! Don't know if this is too late to be of any help, but I thought I'd add my two cents! Good luck with the kitchen, I'm sure it will be wonderful no matter what you choose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%