Ugly Wedding Cakes

Decorating By 4dollars Updated 3 May 2006 , 2:28am by campbelland

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 33

I know that a bride thinks her cake idea is the prettiest thing on the planet, but how many of you have ever had a bride with a just plain ugly cake idea? Did you actually make the cake of her "Dreams" or did you try to pursuade her to do something a little nicer. post pictures of the ugly creations if you have them...

32 replies
4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 33

Oh I can't wait to see these responses ! icon_lol.gif

I don't do this for a living, but I think you make what the bride wants...and hope no one thinks it was your design...

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 33

I haven't done a wedding cake yet, but I think my wedding cake was the ugliest cake in history. I almost cried when I saw it, but it was too late to do anything about it, so I just took it and put on a brave face. I hope whoever made it got out of this line of business. If I ever do a wedding, my one goal is to make sure THIS doesn't happen to another bride.
LL

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 33

there was a thread going around before about this...I'll try to find it...I think it had a cake in it.

I would do it, simply because money is money!

mmdd Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 33
mmdd Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 33

kelleym~I really don't think that cake looks so bad...I just don't really think it looks like a wedding cake.

I'm sorry you hated it.

Oh yeah, I didn't like my wedding cake either, maybe I should post it. (and, no I didn't make it, lol)

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 1 May 2006 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 33

kellyem - I think your cake is pretty! I love anything pink, so of course I like that cake! And I can think of a whole lot worse - fortunately I haven't had to do an ugly one yet (well, none that were designed to be ugly icon_smile.gif.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 33

mmdd -- Well, it was in 1994 so I'm over it now. Mostly icon_wink.gif It certainly was not what I thought I ordered.

dydemus -- Thank you for your kind words icon_smile.gif Pink is my above-all favorite color, but I simply hate this cake. I think the pinks clash and it's so...poofy.

If I ever got married again and made my own cake, I would make something like the cake in my photos with the fondant swags and pink roses. After I made it, I said to my husband, I wish THIS had been my wedding cake!

mmdd Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 33

LOL! I recently remade our anniversary tier....the way I wanted it to look. (it's in my photos)

I specifically told that woman that I wanted the icing to be as smooth as she could get it...but there was cheap paper towel prints all over it; and all of the swiss dots had points to them....there were leaves amongst the roses, when all I wanted was roses period!! OH!!!!!!!!!! Just thinking about it makes me upset....and when it got to the site.....my faithful maid of honor sat for an hour picking all of the "fuzzies" from the trunk of her car off of it!! Ugh!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 33

Yes, it happened to me 2 wks. ago. It was a celebrity wedding cake she had seen. It was awful. The entire middle tier was completely plain. Not one thing on it. I hated every minute of doing it. The top had a futureistic wire pearl thing. But, the entire bridal party sent me emails that they all loved it & it was so good. Go figure! Helen

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 33

Right now, I couldn't do a cake that I didn't love. I ask very specific questions: # of servings, theme, message, inspiration? That's it. Everything else must come from me because if I'm not loving it, then it is work.
If you want to tell me how to do it, then I'm not doing it for you because any bakery can do that. I believe in my creativity more than anything and I vowed to stay that way.

On the other hand....

If I was depending on this income to live on, I might have to do one here or there for the money. I guess it all depends on your situation.

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 33

I haven't made a wedding cake yet, but my wedding cake disaster was the reason I decided to learn to decorate cakes. All my young life my mother decorated cakes, she stopped doing them about 15 years ago with the acception of maybe 2 or 3 small birthday cakes. Obviously I saw all the cakes she made in the past and she did wonderful work so I asked her to make my wedding cake 2 years ago last January! Huge mistake not only did it look terrible, but she didn't even use the kind of frosting I wanted and to make matters worse she's my mother so I can't even complain about it. I hated it so much that I didn't even have the roll of pictures developed that has the cake on it. So when they say if you don't use it you lose it, BELIEVE IT!!! I know from experience.
Jackie
icon_cry.gif

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 33

Oh how awful, I am very sorry! I have yet to do a wedding cake but with a sister in law getting married in two years I know I will be asked and I can not wait!

mmdd Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 33

Ok, here's the pic of my original cake...that WAS NOT made by me; and here's a pic of our anniversary tier that I just made.
LL
LL

4dollars Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:16am
post #15 of 33

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. I thought I was a bad person for thinking that someone else's "dream" was ugly! I am just really having a hard time making this cake. I also make cakes just for the creative release, so to be told to make it "just like this", when the original is so ugly, is just hard to wrap my mind around.

lillcabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillcabby Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:25am
post #16 of 33

I think it can't just be about the money. I don't want to put my name on something like that. I would kindly let the bride know that it's not the style of cakes I produce.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:39am
post #17 of 33

mmdd
Your cake isn't that bad. But it is rather "pokie" and she made all the dots in a row instead of placed randomly. Your cake is gorgeous. I love the white on the cream.

mmdd Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:43am
post #18 of 33

Thanks, sarah, I know it may not really look that bad...it's definitely not the ugliest one out there, but I wrote down instructions...I was very specific....I look back on it now...and remember us considering making our own cake....I wish we had done that, oh well!!!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:39am
post #19 of 33

My thoughts on those not wanting to do what the bride wants....how would you all feel, if you ordered something, cake or a handmade dress or whatever, & the person said they would not do it? I just feel when you are in business, the customer is the one who determines what style they want. Just my opinion!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:07am
post #20 of 33

My ugliest weddingcake (not that i have made many of them) Is my very first one. in my pictures. Ps. secretly i have to tell you that i was also invited to the reception and i was going to totally freak out when i saw that the bride had decorated the topper bride with a tiny red piece of a cloth , like a scarf on it or something and thrown red rose petals all around it.
The thing is that she was the one who wanted square and round and brought the topper and insisted in pink and white. i really didn't understand the red rose petals.

But what can we say peoples tastes are so dfferent and who are we to critisize it. icon_smile.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:37am
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyladyhelen

My thoughts on those not wanting to do what the bride wants....how would you all feel, if you ordered something, cake or a handmade dress or whatever, & the person said they would not do it? I just feel when you are in business, the customer is the one who determines what style they want. Just my opinion!

I think anyone has the right to choose not to do something. They may lose business, but that's their right. Say someone just doesn't like working with red and will do anything but red, well that's fine. As a customer you can also always choose to go somewhere else.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 2 May 2006 , 8:03am
post #22 of 33

Oh yes, it has to be my hideous yellow and teal green monster with white columns and stairways. How embarrassing this was to deliver, but it's what she wanted.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-13480.html

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:53pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidstains

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyladyhelen

I think anyone has the right to choose not to do something. They may lose business, but that's their right. Say someone just doesn't like working with red and will do anything but red, well that's fine. As a customer you can also always choose to go somewhere else.

I believe my feelings are more important that that of a client. I would tactfully say, as was mentioned earlier, "I'm sorry but that's not the style I make" and explain how they would be happier with someone else. A few years ago I was commissioned to paint 4 large paintings for a Japanese restaurant. I took the offer. The paintings came out great...exactly what they wanted but I can't even tell you how miserable I was painting them. I couldn't wait to finish and I swore I would never do that again. It simply was not in my heart to create those paintings. They were not ugly, they were actually very nice, but they didn't come from me.

mmdd Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:05pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

Oh yes, it has to be my hideous yellow and teal green monster with white columns and stairways. How embarrassing this was to deliver, but it's what she wanted.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-13480.html

You decorated the cake nicely, I mean, it looks GREAT! So, hopefully people will remember that instead of the color!!!

I wonder what these brides think down the road when they look back at their cakes? I wonder if they're still the most beautiful thing to them?!?!?!

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:09pm
post #25 of 33

I have to do an ugly wedding cake in July. What I mean by that is it looks like stepping into the late '80's/early '90's again!!! She's having two sets of stairs, I think about 8 sets of seperators and a fountain. Not to mention that up and down the stairs will be plastic bridesmaids & groomsmen. White and royal blue are the colors, lots of old fashioned string work, ug, not one that I'm excited about displaying in a portfolio!!!!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:34pm
post #26 of 33

This thread is funny to read, thus part of the reason I made my own (for my second wedding). I don't have pics, but my first wedding cake was very large with a fountain, the stairs, greens the whole nine yards- it was "poofy" and way too busy, not simply elegant like today's cakes are (my first was in 1994). My husband, however, did tell me that he thought my cake was a little too "plain", but he said it tasted great. We just have different opinions on my cake decorating- and I take his criticism lightly, as he is all about eating it, not looking at it! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2006 , 2:51pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTakeTheCake

I haven't made a wedding cake yet, but my wedding cake disaster was the reason I decided to learn to decorate cakes. All my young life my mother decorated cakes, she stopped doing them about 15 years ago with the acception of maybe 2 or 3 small birthday cakes. Obviously I saw all the cakes she made in the past and she did wonderful work so I asked her to make my wedding cake 2 years ago last January! Huge mistake not only did it look terrible, but she didn't even use the kind of frosting I wanted and to make matters worse she's my mother so I can't even complain about it. I hated it so much that I didn't even have the roll of pictures developed that has the cake on it. So when they say if you don't use it you lose it, BELIEVE IT!!! I know from experience.
Jackie
icon_cry.gif

I'm glad i'm not the only one this has happened to! I think the anniversary tier is still in my mother's freezer - I certainly didn't want it! It probably tasted fine (I couldn't tell you) and everyone said it didn't look as bad as I thought it did but it certainly wasn't anything even close to what I would have liked. I guess I got what I paid for AND I should have know better. I only have one picture of that cake and that is the reason I made my own 10th anniversary cake!

Debbie

4dollars Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:05pm
post #28 of 33

dolcesunshine20, if you hadn't mentioned the colors I would think you were making a cake for the same bride!!!! Her color is light purple. I think her mother is pushing this style of cake, the MOB is very stuck in the 80's. She used to decorate cakes and when she stopped, this was the biggest, newest style.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:41pm
post #29 of 33

Ugg, don't you just hate that!!!!!

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 2 May 2006 , 9:33pm
post #30 of 33

Ok I think Iv got you all beat, this month Ill be doing a wedding cake with green icing and little blue flowers. Its in the Wilton A Romantic Portfolio page 32, any tips from anyone? has anyone done this cake ??? Hers will be set up different.
Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%