Fondant Vs. Buttercream

Decorating By MandMCakeDesigns Updated 22 Apr 2007 , 10:00pm by indydebi

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:46am
post #1 of 10

Just from looking at member names alone, I know there are strong feelings on this topic, but I need to know if I am crazy or not. I have been decorating cakes for others for about 5 months now and I really like working with fondant. I know some people don't like the texture, but I think the MMF tastes pretty good.

I think I am BC challenged...every cake I make with BC frosting just looks ridiculous. I just can't get it where it doesn't crack and look bumpy. As a result, I am much more confidant about my fondant cakes, even though I know they are not perfect either.

So here's my question...is it silly to just want to make fondant cakes? If so, where can I seek Buttercream remediation? icon_razz.gif

9 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:47am
post #2 of 10

Somewhere on this site there has to be a Buttercream Bhudda.........

icon_biggrin.gif

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:57am
post #3 of 10

MandMCakeDesigns, have you tried the Melvira method?? I haven't yet, but I hear its the bomb!!

rachelruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelruth Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 4:00am
post #4 of 10

ok...first i think it is ok to just do fondant but we all should strive to grow right so personally i think you should try a swiss or italian buttercream recipe or a stabalized whipped frosting recipe...i have found that the "traditional" buttercream recipes are tricky as they will crust on you after a while and if you are not a "pro" yet at smoothing then it can get yucky as you go. If you like the regular buttercream recipes then try using a spackle scraper for smoothing the sides and top so you can do it fast and with minimal touching of the icing..yes it is from home depot but works like a charm and very quickly. I hope this helps a bit..i have gotten good at frosting and have yet to master fondant...it scares me but i really want to know how to work with it....want to help?

MandMCakeDesigns Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 4:07am
post #5 of 10

I so want to be good at this!! So I guess I need to try each thing one at a time. I tried the VIVA thing and it did not work for me, but I have been using Wilton BC, so maybe it is the frosting? And with all the talk about changes in Crisco, maybe that's why all of sudden I have air bubbles everywhere. I guess I will head to Home Depot as well icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelruth

i have gotten good at frosting and have yet to master fondant...it scares me but i really want to know how to work with it....want to help?

As far as the fondant goes, to me it's just glorified play-dough and I LOVED PLAYDOUGH as a kid. I will be glad to help. It's probably easier than you think. Let me know what questions you have.

rachelruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelruth Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 4:24am
post #6 of 10

yeah just try a new frosting...i also really like non dairy whipped frosting from smart and final called frostin pride..it is a dream!

as far a fondant i am not sure how to get it to not bulge or bump..i didi a fondant cake and it looked like the filling was bulging out a bit even though i put in a dam around the edge..do you frost your cake with BC before the F or doa thin crumb coat..what is your process?

i guess i will start with that. thanks so much!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 11:08am
post #7 of 10

I have learned to put my icing damn in about 3/4 inch from the outside of the cake. I also don't put much filling (even thought I like filling) towards the outside because I hate it when my cake has the look of a "spare tire". I also go sparingly when I just fill with buttercream towards the outside of the cake, because that "spare tire" still wants to rear its ugly head.

darkchocolate

MandMCakeDesigns Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 10

Because so many people here don't like the taste of fondant, many of them eat the cake without it. So I frost the cake in BC first and let it crust over good. Then I cover it in fondant and smooth it out well. I can't get it perfectly smooth yet, but I always put some design on it, so it ends up cute. People always love them. But I have only made about 10 cakes total, so I am still really new at this. But fondant just seems to click for me. I use the MMF recipe from here.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

MandM:
what recipe are you using for your buttercream? You mentioned the Wilton one. That's what I use and I also use the paper towel method for smoothing. It took me probably 4-5 months to get the recipe down to my liking. In the course 1 book, the "class" recipe is for stiff icing. I add 2 tsp more flavoring and about 2 Tbsp more water. Also use the beater attachment not the whisk.

I don't think it's silly at all to only want to do fondant cakes. That's my preference also - they just look so much nicer. But like you said, people don't like the texture of the fondant as much as icing. I've tried new and different brands of fondant and the folks are slowly but surely giving it a try!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 10

No, you are not silly for wanting to do fondant only. I do buttercream only and my business does not suffer because of it. You choose what works best for you and what you work best in.

Of all the techniques I've tried, the Melvira Method is the absolute best in getting BC smooth. Check my pics .... the M&M cake is the first one I used Melvira and I'm pretty proud of that one! icon_rolleyes.gif (There are closeups of each tier on my Flickr! site (link below) to show how smooth this method gets the icing). A good crusting recipe is part of the trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%