Red Velvet Cake

Baking By mykitchencakes Updated 9 May 2007 , 12:26am by lilthorner

mykitchencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykitchencakes Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:09am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have a recipe for a red velvet cake that works well in large size layers?

11 replies
crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 12

bump

Did you search in the recipes?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 12

I used this recipe for a wedding cake w/o any problems. Bottom tier was 14 inches.

Red Velvet Cake

Note: this is a recipe that I developed; please credit me when sharing with others! Thanks, Promise Whitley

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temp  ½ cup Crisco
1 and ½ cups granulated white sugar    
3 large eggs, room temp
1 envelope Dream Whip        
1 and ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract      
1 ounce (1 tablespoon) red food color
2 and ½ cups cake flour (I use Swans Down)  
¼ cup cocoa powder (I use Hersheys)
1 teaspoon salt          
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350

Cream butter and shortening, then add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
Beat in eggs, one at a time
Beat in Dream Whip, buttermilk, vanilla extract and food coloring
Over wax paper, sift together flour, salt and cocoa
Add flour mixture slowly to the wet ingredient and bet to combine
In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar, stirring until baking soda dissolves then add to batter and beat the batter on high for 3 minutes.
For an 8 or 9 inch round cake, divide between 3 prepared pans (I use Pam with Flour)
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, check for doneness with toothpick
Cool for 10 minutes in pans then turn out on wire racks and cool completely before frosting
Ice with Cream Cheese Frosting or Flour Frosting
Garnish sides with either flake coconut or toasted chopped pecans (optional)

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 12

prterrell, thanks so much for posting this! Where can you purchase Dream Whip from? Or can you substitute it for something else? Just wondering, thanks!

Kristin

Solobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solobaker Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 12

You can purchase Dream Whip at most grocery stores. It comes in a small box and then has 2 or 4 envelopes of the dry powder per box. At least that's how it is around my area (Minnesota)

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 12

Dream Whip is usually in the baking aisle near the Jello stuff. This cake sounds really good, and it doesn't seem to use quite as much coloring as some others. Does it still have a nice color of red?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:12am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisuesmom

This cake sounds really good, and it doesn't seem to use quite as much coloring as some others. Does it still have a nice color of red?

Yes, it is still a nice, rich red, but not a bright bright red. Just make sure you use gel/paste color, not the liquid food coloring that you can purchase at the grocery store. So far, I've only used the Wilton coloring when making this recipe.

The wedding cake I did out of this recipe, the bride wanted each tier to be 3 layers, and each layer to be one of her wedding colors (her colors were burgundy, navy blue, and forrest green). Well, that might sound really wierd, but I did it the way she wanted, and it came out really neat looking when we cut into the cake!

I've thought about trying to toy with this recipe some and sub instant choc pudding mix in instead of the Dream Whip, but at the same time, I'm hesitant, as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If anyone wants to try that, please let me know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:24am
post #8 of 12

I've always made mine from scratch until another lady brought one to a luncheon. It was great! ~ and so simple!

1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix
ingredients listed on cake mix
1 small box chocolate instant pudding
1 bottle red food coloring

Add pudding to cake mix and mix well. Add remaining ingredients listed on DH box and mix as directed. Stir in food coloring. Bake as directed on box.

If she hadn't told me it was a box cake mix I would never have known it.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #9 of 12

I suggest my family recipe in the recipe section on CC -it's called Sarah's red velvet - it has a phenomonal taste, I haven't found any other RVC -either boxed or scratch that comes close to matching this cake in texture, or taste.

In regard to the frosting...sadly the icing would not really be the best for wedding cake, a nice buttercream would be an okay back up...but never cream cheese frosting. Blech thumbsdown.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:31am
post #10 of 12

HELP!!
There was a posting for a doctored RV mix. I think it was something like:

1 box mix, 4 eggs, replace water with milk, 1 packet of choc pudding.

can someone confirm this for me (or correct me). I made that recipe for a bride and I have the cake coming up but can't find the recipe.
TIA!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 12

Anyone?

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:26am
post #12 of 12

i have tried newleywed's recipe.. its delish.. I make bot that one and paula deens recipe..

in regards to the witlon coloring, it seems very concentrated so u may not be cutting down on the amount of coloring in the mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%