Help!!! Tips For Drying Gumpaste Needed!!!

Decorating By sugarwithstyle Updated 2 May 2006 , 10:00pm by Susecita

sugarwithstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwithstyle Posted 1 May 2006 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 8

I need help, and FAST! I've made a gumpaste shoe for a cake order I have THIS WEEKEND, and it seems like it doesn't want to dry. I have it laying on cardboard to give it the shape I want, but I'm wondering if that's what doing it- lack of air to both sides? Should I position a fan on them for better circulation? SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!! ANY TIPS WOULD BE APPRICIATED!

7 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 May 2006 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 8

Hmmmmm...what kind of gumpaste did you use? Usually, it starts drying right away. I would wait a day or so before getting panicky.

sugarwithstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwithstyle Posted 1 May 2006 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 8

I used a package kind, and added gum tragacanth to it to make it harden quicker. It is hardening, HOWEVER it is not doing it at a pace that makes me think I will be able to assemble the shoe and it's strong enough to support itself by Friday night, and that's my worry.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 2 May 2006 , 8:51am
post #4 of 8

check to see if the cardboard that it is laying on is damp..close proximity to a moist object will retard drying

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 2 May 2006 , 8:57am
post #5 of 8

I would dry it on some foam rather than cardboard and turn it after 12/24 hours to allow both sides to dry.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 2 May 2006 , 11:06am
post #6 of 8

make sure it is not damp anywhere and also little wind will not do bad for it. Tha best air for them to dry quick is dry warm and windy in my opinion.
If you see that one side is dryed turn it around.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 2 May 2006 , 11:21am
post #7 of 8

I forgot to mention. Just in case it will not be dry enough and you need to make another one.( i don't really think so if you added gumtr.. to it) I discovered by accident a sugarmix that will dry very quickly. It dries very hard like a stone but the only problem with it is that you have to work with it very quickly. I use it to do the bases for my figures.

put in the bowl a little water and granulated sugar. boil til all sugar is meletd and bubbling pretty hard. Then put it in the KA and add to it gelatin 1 sachet ( it must be melted with little water first) let the mixer mix it til it is nice thick and foamy. It will go very foamy. And then start adding icingsugar til it is to the proper constinstency. Use immidiately.

It is very cheap and very fast drying paste. If you want to color it add the color at the same time with gelatine.

Sorry about my spelling but english is not my first language.
Hope it helps somebody.

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 2 May 2006 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 8

Cover the piece with everclear vodka. That thing dries hard in a second.

-Sus

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%