This Is Why I Am On A Cookie Strike

Baking By Zamode Updated 30 Apr 2006 , 9:33pm by Zamode

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 2:33am
post #1 of 9

I can make and bake cookies, no problem--icing these little @#%^&*!! is another story. One time, it's okay and I think the next time I will finally get it right. This time comes around and it is so runny even though it seemed okay in the bowl and now it's too late because I already have it all mixed and in my bottles and bag.

My sister is here this weekend and I thought I would make them for her since I was surprised she liked them so much and she's been a help for me with things with our Mom. She doesn't care about the icing but I do. icon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Kos, cute new avatar, by the way. I still say no, after today!

8 replies
Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 2:40am
post #2 of 9

deep breaths... it will come.

I know the next batch I make I'll have my air bubbles back. I get lucky once in awhile. I don't get air bubbles too badly when I flood, its the air bubbles that emerge in the outline. I'm eager to try another batch. Maybe this week; soccer cookies for my daughter's coach. gulp! icon_eek.gif

kos

I may be changing my avatar soon too! icon_lol.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #3 of 9

I'm like Zamode, I can bake the little suckers but I can't decorate them for my life.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 3:06am
post #4 of 9

Zamode thank you! I needed a laugh tonight! This is exactly how I am feeling about decorating this stinkin cake tonight!!! Just want to toss it out the window!! I will say no more and then someone will ask me to do one and of course I will say yes! Hang in there with me and let's not give up yet!! icon_biggrin.gif

Zamode Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 3:13am
post #5 of 9

The one batch that came out okay I have no photos of and since then, it's a crap shoot every time. Good one, so-so one, bad one......repeat.

I promised some to a friend that my sis ate the last time she was here so I am going to wait a few days. Make the cookies but wait on the icing until I have time. If that doesn't work, well then y'all have to chip in and have Toba come to my house (or C_P, she might have a cheaper rate) or the cookie strike continues! As well as my rants and distorted 70's classics about cookies!!

simply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simply Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 6:40am
post #6 of 9

Cure for getting rid of the bubbles when outlining.

Before you put the outlining icing in a parchment bag, put a couple of tablespoons of the royal icing on the worktop and with a palette knife paddle or butter the icing. That is to say, work the palette knife from side to side as if you are buttering the icing. This way you will squash the bubbles and once you put the icing in the parchment bag, you will not get any breaks in the outline.

For competition work, I also butter the flooding icing as well but a quicker way is to thin the icing in a bowl and give it a few bangs on the work top. Leave it to stand covered with a wet cloth for about 15 mins and the bubbles will come to the top. When it comes to using the icing burst the few bubbles that have come up on the top.

If you stll end up with bubbles when flooding, have a pin ready and keep bursting them.

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 7:00am
post #7 of 9

sorry to hear you have so much trouble decorating cookies. I think maybe the bottles are the problem. After you sqeeze it to get icing out, it takes air in to replace the space. That way you will get more bubbles in your icing. Try to use only bags or parchment triangles, it works for me. When I do flooding for images to put on cakes, I only use a toothpick to fill in the outlined areas. And I also do like Simply described above, except from the buttering method.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

. If that doesn't work, well then y'all have to chip in and have Toba come to my house (or C_P, she might have a cheaper rate) or the cookie strike continues!

Cheaper prices and you go on strike?? I think that makes me wanna charge you double what Toba does. icon_biggrin.gif

Wait and we have to come to your house too? icon_eek.gif That's it. Quadruple the price now!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Zamode Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 9

I believe Toba charges like $500 to come to the house! Oh, you aren't that far....few hours, I'll throw in lunch, too.

You are supposed to be helping me woman!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%