How Do I Soften Wilton Fondant?

Decorating By Tilisha Updated 28 Apr 2006 , 11:57pm by Tilisha

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have to left over fondant from my sisters baby shower about a month ago. I placed it in a ziploc bag and was hoping to use it on a duck cake for the soap and eyes and was wondering if it is hard how do I soften it.

Can I microwave it like we do the marshmellow fondant or do I just work with it? Help from anyone who knows?

Thanks,
Tilisha

Ps. can I still use the wilton fondant after a month? icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 8

You could try microwaving it. But not long. Or try working a little shortening into it. It should still be good. Depending on the brand fondant has a shelf life of 6month to a year.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 8

If you can soften it to use, it will be OK. Try the microwave, carfully. hot fondant can really burn.

If the exterior is crumbly, don't try to knead it in. peel it off. Those lumps will ruin the fondant.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 8

I use mine and just lightly 'dampen' my finger tips with Crisco then work it for a minute or two...

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 8

By the way, I find the best way to store leftover fondant is to wrap the individual pieces very closely with plastic wrap, then put them in baggies (together or separately)...this seems to keep it softer for the next time as it is not directly exposed to air, even the little bit in the baggie.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 8

One of the best investments I made was a food saver. It has paid for itself. I put all the left over junkie Wilton Fondant in there and then I make practice things out of it. I say practice because I don't think Wilton fondant is fit for consumption by humans. It was given to me by someone who didn't know that it really wasn't clay. Sorry to all of you Wilton Fondant lovers out there.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 8

I'm a Foodsaver junkie, too! L.ve the thing!

I was about to suggest maybe running the stuff through the disposal....but figured that wasn't all that helpful. Sorry!

I believe in the power of Crisco! Squishing a big ol' glob of it into the leftovers might help.

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks! I don't use Wilton brand to cover a cake people have to eat, just for the decorations part. I think I will use it and see how I do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%