Attaching Bow To Side Of Cake

Decorating By suzystewart Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 1:53am by suzystewart

suzystewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzystewart Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! I'm making a two tier wedding cake with bows attached to the front sides of the cake. These are fondant bows and are a bit heavier than gumpaste, so I need an ingenious way to attach them to the cake. I have no idea what I'm doing. Please help.

4 replies
suzystewart Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 5

I'm putting the cake together now, so please help!

littlebits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebits Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:52am
post #3 of 5

I am sorry I can't really help- but here's a little bump for you. I'm sure somone will know how to help. Best of luck.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:32am
post #4 of 5

Is the cake itself covered in fondant? If so I usually just use a dab of water. Since your bows are heavy maybe some gumpaste glue. Dissolve a little lump of gumpaste in water to glue consistency. You probably need to hold or prop the bows in place while the glue dries, but it holds very well.

If your bows are very heavy maybe you have to wire the bows and stick the wires in the cake to make sure they hold. I would wrap the wire in tape or plastic wrap just so that you don't have any worry about rust or other contamination.

suzystewart Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:53am
post #5 of 5

I don't have any gumpaste and there is a fondant ribbon around the bottom of the cake. I want to fasten the bow in the middle. The bows aren't very sturdy. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something else. I should've thought it through more before I started.
I might try the wire. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%