Wedding Vs. Tiered Party Cake

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 28 Apr 2006 , 9:56pm by cakeconfections

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 7

Do you charge the same for a tiered party cake as you would for a wedding cake?

When looking at a serving chart the same cake would serve less as a party cake than it would as a wedding cake. Would you charge by the serving as a party cake which would be less for the same cake or charge the same price that you would if it were a wedding cake. I hope this makes sense!

Debbie

6 replies
dparrish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dparrish Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

If it was the same amount of work as a wedding cake, I would charge the same. I guess it also depends on how elaborate the design is.

thecakemaker Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 7

Just a general question. If you created a tiered cake - say a 6", 8", 10" tiered. That cake would make 74 wedding servings or 60 party servings (using the Wilton guide for quick reference). How would you charge:

Wedding = 74 servings x $2.00 per serving = $148.00

Party = 60 servings x $2.00 per serving = $120.00

for the same cake there is a difference of $28.00.

Would you charge the $148.00 or the $120.00 if someone asked for it to be a party cake? Make more sense that way? Same cake - different use.

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 7

I would charge the same for either cake - if they are both tiered. To me, it is a matter of the work involved, not the event. I would put the same time and effort into either cake.

thecakemaker Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 7

That's what i'm thinking too. I got a call yesterday for "possibly" making a tiered 40th anniversary cake for this Saturday. He wanted to "think about it and get back to me". When I gave him a price he said "I'm not looking for a wedding cake" I explained to him the it's the same cake either way just a different celebration - so, same price. Unless he left me a message or e-mailed me at home he doesn't want the cake.

Considering I work full time and have a family I really didn't want the last minute cake but for future orders I was just curious what other people do in that situation. Plus, Saturday is my husband's birthday and Sunday is my father's birthday so they'd end up doing without.

Thanks!
Deb

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 7

The cost would be the same I would just tell them how many it would serve cut each way and they decide how big they want... Many people will cut into the same wedding cake servings at these events.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7

I use earlene moores chart for everything. It works and dont have to figure two different types of slices. So I pretty much charge everything by the serving now. I dont have a set rate I just by how hard I will think it is. But for any tired I start at $2 for party cakes and 2.25 for wedding cakes..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%