Don't Know Where To Start...

Business By janetwhitson Updated 10 May 2006 , 3:16am by LoriannaN

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

I've made a handful of cakes by looking at pictures and teaching myself. I've discovered that I really love doing it. Every cake that I make, people compliment me and say that I should do it as a business. However, I don't have very many supplies and I'm not sure what I'll need to get a business going. Anyone have any advice on how they started?

6 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 7

Hiya Janet and welcome to C.C.
I can't personally tell ya hun but you might want to look in the forums under the cake business section and see what they have there. But in the meantime, here's your bump!!

janetwhitson Posted 29 Apr 2006 , 2:26am
post #3 of 7

What do you mean "here's your bump?" I"m confused!! LOL icon_redface.gif

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 29 Apr 2006 , 2:36am
post #4 of 7

icon_lol.gif When I first discovered CC, I didn't know what "bump" was either. It just means when someone answers your post, it sends it back to the top of the page where hopefully more people will see it.

janetwhitson Posted 29 Apr 2006 , 2:37am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the info...now I don't feel so stupid!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 29 Apr 2006 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 7

Well....that's quite a question! You will need tips for decorating. Stars-14, 16, 18 & 21. Writing tubes-1,2,3,5, 10&12. Basket weave tip. Grass tip. And rose & leaves tips. Decorating bags. Good spatula for frosting the cake. Rose nail. Icing colors. Pans of course. One thing to do if you can, is if you live near a Michaels or AC Moore, they have coupons in each week. I use them to add to my stuff each week. If you intend to do wedding cakes, you just need to read the Wilton book to find out what you will need. Hope this helps you to get started! Helen

LoriannaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriannaN Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:16am
post #7 of 7

A standing mixer is gonna be essential if you don't already have one. It cut my work time literally in half.
I just read a post about regulations through the health department if you're considering it as a true business. You'll want to check on that. I personally haven't started my business yet because I'm in college and can't exactly just decide to have a separate kitchen all of a sudden. But there are good tips under "selling cakes out of home in Texas" and las vegas.
You'll need good clean storage areas. Once you get enough money, air brush, projectors, and image transfers (kopykake prints) might be a good addition.
THere are a lot of *optional* things but there's plenty of essential things too, ya know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%