Venting About Peoples Reaction - Long

Decorating By Janette Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 6:43pm by indydebi

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #1 of 17

I know it's because they don't know the work involved but, I get icon_mad.gif when I tell someone how much it would cost to do a cake and they look at me like I'm nuts.

I sell, if I'm lucky, 4 cakes a year. I do a lot of free cakes. I know, I know I'm a dunce.gif .

I have been working two days on a 50th cake for a friend of ours, yes, free as a gift.

A 14" square 4" with filling and a wonder cake on top. I made a couple setting in rocking chairs and bought all the other do dads that goes on it.

It's a Carrot cake, scratch with pineapple, coconut, walnuts and raisins.

My husband came home I was so tired from baking I told him there is no way I would do that cake for less then $110.00 and that's cheap. But, I know at the party someone is going to ask how much a cake like that would cost and I will get a shocked look.

I told him about an earlier thread where a friend wanted a 4", 6" and 8" tiered. She was quoted $35 as a favor and the person actually asked her if she could come down in the price icon_surprised.gif

I know the local stores especially warehouse stores sell at very low prices. But we give good tasting cake with detailed decorating icon_confused.gif

Not only do I put in hours of work but I've spent hundred's of dollars on equipment. Really when I think about it I am sure I've spent over a thousand. I know to you pro's that's chicken scratch but keep in mind I rarely do a cake for profit. It does come in handy to provide the cake as your gift.

Thank's Janette

16 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:22am
post #2 of 17

It can get frustrating. People really do not know how much it cost to do a cake until they do one. I think after all of the free cakes they should at least start paying you for the ingredients!!!! Cakes are not cheap to do-- especially scratch ones, they should know this. Would a machanic do a break job for free? NO, they would want $$$ and you would gladly pay him to fix your car. So why don't they pay you for creating a beautiful and wonderful tasting cake!

mkolmar Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:26am
post #3 of 17

OK, I just looked at your pics. Honey, you are SO READY to start selling these cakes. Your generosity is getting taken advantage of. Time for these people--friends, family or not to start paying you. I'm afraid that you'll get burned out otherwise and start to hate it. I would hate for that to happen--you've got such talent.

Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:28am
post #4 of 17

You are so sweet, thank you icon_redface.gif

Your right, I am starting to get burnt out.

rachelruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelruth Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:44am
post #5 of 17

HI,

I got in the habit of just giving as gifts also and then realized i was losing a lot of my own money doing this...so for instance for my baby showers of friends i just charge for ingredients ($30 for 11x14 white almond cake and cheesecake filling) and if someone at the shower asks i quote a higher price..to purchase some new equiptment and make a litlle profit..i do it mostly for fun but you can't go broke huh?!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:08am
post #6 of 17

Remember, to the outside world, baking a cake involves 3 minutes of mixer time, 30 minutes of oven time and 5 minutes of slapping some icing on it!

If you're going to tell them how much it cost you to make it, I would tell them in time.... including the time it takes to go buy the supplies and clean up. "Oh, since I've got about 9 hours of time invested in making this, if I paid myself only $10 an hour, then my time alone is worth $90 plus the cost of all of the high quality materials and ingredients I need, so I couldn't sell this cake for less than $150."

How can they argue with that?

(yes, I AM so full of ******* that I smell myself from a mile away! Can you tell I have a background in sales? icon_twisted.gif )

**Moderator edited for language**

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:19am
post #7 of 17

Some people have no clue as to how much time and energy goes into putting a cake together. icon_mad.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:23am
post #8 of 17

.... i'm so sorry to hear that, hopefully when i am a good cake decorator i can say '' oh yes... they sell them that cheap at the super market, why dont you take your ideas over there, and see what you can get with $25 dollars''

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:54am
post #9 of 17

I have a bottom price limit and won't make anything for less than that (it's £60 which is $120) I don't do many birthday cakes, mostly weddings and special celebrations. I think you reach a point where you realise it's not worth your effort even getting all the equipment out, cleaning up and putting it away again for much less; I think you're at that point! You start resenting the work as well which is what got me down. Now I enjoy my work again as I know I'm being properly paid for it. For friends and family that want a cake I either charge a small discount or get them to pay ingredients costs but give them no say at all in design.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:18am
post #10 of 17

Well I'm making a cake for my aunt's 80th birthday party and I'm doing it for free. Today my sister added up how much the cake is costing me to make. It was $57. I had no idea it cost that much to make a cake.

Once I saw that I thought "I need to charge more!"

My rule is to give every family member one free cake. After that they will be charged the cost of the supplies. I just can't afford to keep giving cakes away for free.

I love the idea of saying how long it takes and how little we get paid per hour. It's a great sales pitch.

I also think we don't really owe it to people to explain the charges. If they want a simple sheet cake then go to Costco. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't mind one bit.

But if you want a tiered cake, a custom cake, a good tasting cake then you won't find it at Costco and you will have to pay for it.

Go to a high price bakery that will make it for you and you will pay more then you pay me!

I say let them go check around. Then they can decide if it's worth the price. Just tell them you do custom one of a kind cakes. Not the simple run of the mill plain sheet cakes.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:37am
post #11 of 17

If I give a cake for free, I have complete design control. Otherwise I charge for it. And even when the cake is free, I ask for a review, so that I can start putting them on my website.

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:40am
post #12 of 17

Wow Janette! I look at your photos and feel guilty that I'm charging people when you're not! Your work is terrific and, um..tell me again why you aren't getting paid? I'd hate to see you lose your passion...please start making it worth your while.

Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 17

Wow, Indy, I thought I was smelling something funky icon_lol.gif

I am doing a shower cake for next Saturday. The bride told me how many people and told me to do whatever I wanted. Then she e-mailed me saying her shower theme is coffee.

Well, I have been wanting to do a coffee theme cake now's my chance. The cake I am making is a lot more then she paid for so I'm going to make sure to tell her if anyone ask about the cake it would cost $$. I'll explain to her I gave her a bargin price.

I'm too old to try to start a business now, but I do love cake decorating. If I only knew about this 30 yrs. ago I could have had my own show on Foodnetwork icon_wink.gif

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #14 of 17

indydebi - LOVE your approach! I plan to borrow that and use it...thanks!

mkolmar Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 17

Janette--you are never too old! I know a guy who is a chef and is 73 years old---he's only been doing it for a few years. He retired from Army intelligence and then worked other jobs in his late 60's he decided to go to culinary school and hasn't looked back since. He's an insperation to me with his keep reaching for your dreams and never give up attitude.

You could make a small business and only except the orders that you want to do. You could totaly do a business and succeed!

Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 17

Get out of here - now I feel so young (52). Well, I don't really feal young but your story made me feel better.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

....I'm too old to try to start a business now, but I do love cake decorating. If I only knew about this 30 yrs. ago I could have had my own show on Foodnetwork icon_wink.gif

Never too old! I'm almost 50 and just signed my lease a few months ago! Rodney Dangerfield was in his 50's when he got started. Colonel Sanders was in his 60's!

And I've already got my opening dialogue planned for MY debut on the Food Network!! thumbs_up.gif

"If you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big." ----Donald Trump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%