Dumb ? About Sheet Cake Pan

Decorating By aoliveira Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 9:02pm by indydebi

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 10

I just bought a 12X18 sheet cake pan and I was wondering what that translates to, is it a full sheet or half sheet?

And I'm making a scratch carrot cake, how many batches do I need? My recipe would be enough for a 9 in round.

Thanks!!

Alex

9 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 10

A 12x18 is considered a half sheet by most people.
Wilton has charts on their site that say how many cups of batter you need for the different pan sizes.

deedee44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee44 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 10

Alex, I use the 12x18 as a half sheet and the recipe I use for it come from this site. The white almond sour cream cake. It's delicious.

I don't know how to do a link for the recipe, otherwise I would. icon_biggrin.gif

Deedee44

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 10

Here is the link for the recipe deedee mentioned. YUM!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

I'm repeating myself, I know, but I refuse to use the terms "half" or "full" sheet cakes. when someone asks how much is my 1/2 sheet cake, I ask them "how many do you need it to serve?" I get answers from 15 to 70, so the consumer has no idea EITHER how big a half sheet cake is ... they are just using "the lingo" without knowing what they are talking about.

Heck, people in bakeries don't know! I called some bakeries to get price comparisons and asked them prices. I was told "A half sheet is blah blah". I asked how big that is? The moron said, "well it's a sheet cake cut in half." I said, "I'm betting that my cake pans in my cabinet are no where near the size of yours, so trying to visualize cutting MY "sheet cake" in half isn't going to work. So I need to know the size of the cake so I know how big the cake is so I can determine how many people it will feed." He kept going on how he didn't know how big it was. I finally asked, "Can you get a ruler and MEASURE IT????"

icon_mad.giftapedshut.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gif

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 10

Indydebi,

That is exactly the trouble I'm running into. I want to have the reference for my own knowledge so when a client asks for a half sheet or full sheet, I can better assess what they want.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm doing a sculpted cake which is for about 30 people, but people who definitely eat bigger pieces than you'll find in any serving chart icon_smile.gif The clients don't care whether it's 1/2 or full, they just ordered based on design and left the rest up to me.

Thanks again,
Alex

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:50am
post #8 of 10

If your original recipe makes one 9x2" round (127.23 cu in) then you will need 3.4 recipes to make a 12x18x2" sheet (432 cu in).

Yes, the pan you have would be called a half sheet but many people have deviations from that.

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 10

If a 1/4 sheet cake is 9X13, why isn't a 1/2 sheet 18X26???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggylou

If a 1/4 sheet cake is 9X13, why isn't a 1/2 sheet 18X26???

Ergo.... one of the many reasons that I refuse to use the terms "half" and "quarter" sheet cakes! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%