Duff's French Buttercream

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm by CasperCakeCreations

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:35pm
post #61 of 169

I found that when I added xxx sugar to IMBC it broke it down.... I thought I could make it stiffer but it did the opposite.... just my results...

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:43pm
post #62 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgGirl

I read (on baking911, I think) that in icings with a lot of sugar that the sugar actually acts as a preservative for a period of time. This is evidently why it is OK to leave it out for a while even with dairy products.

You know, the person to ask is Alton Brown, food scientist! icon_smile.gif

Who's from KENTUCKY or VIRGINIA? Ever heard of SUGAR CURED HAMS? My microbiology teacher told us that INDEED sugar is a preservative and that if you left out cobblers or high sugar content foods they were fine UNTIL you cut them. At that point you have compromised the "cure" and then the bacteria can grow!

Duff's is the FIRST true buttercream that I ever did. I LOVE it! I used the yolks to make a POUND CAKE, but, you have to add something (maybe pudding?) for moisture (no egg whites). I add 1 cup of 10X AFTER I have whipped it up to give it a little more "stability" and I've had no problems. But, remember I said I waited until AFTER I whipped it up!

Beth in KY

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:45pm
post #63 of 169

Does this icing stay soft? Do you have to be really careful when decorating so as not to get any finger dents, etc.? How about if something bumps it slightly? Can you use fondant decorations on it?

bethola Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #64 of 169

I never had a problem decorating at all and if you put it in the fridge the butter firms up nicely. I've used chocolate wraps AND fondant decorations. I also put a chocolate mold of a heart jewelry box on top and it held it's shape. The only problem I have EVER had is that I can't get it to take "coloring" at all. I'm sure it's something I'm doing, but, I don't have time to experiment right now.

Beth in KY

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #65 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-sissy

The only variation I made was to add 1/2c powdered sugar at the end. I only made a half recipe. Someone suggested that in another post that I had read.

Why add the PS?

Jopalis Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:18pm
post #66 of 169

I added PS to see if I could make it stiffer the first time I made it. It broke it down and did the opposite. It is not super sweet so maybe some want it sweeter...?

Is this recipe much different than Shirley's posted here?

bethola Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:30pm
post #67 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

I added PS to see if I could make it stiffer the first time I made it. It broke it down and did the opposite. It is not super sweet so maybe some want it sweeter...?

Is this recipe much different than Shirley's posted here?

Duff's French Buttercream doesn't use the syrup but IMBC DOES. However, I have used the IMBC recipe from Baking 911 and used PS in it as well without any breakdown problems. Did you add it at the END and how much did you use?

Beth in KY

Jopalis Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:46pm
post #68 of 169

It wasn't Duff's recipe. It was Shirley's IMBC. I did it at the end. Not sure how much...kept sprinkling to see if I could get stiffer.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:55pm
post #69 of 169

Waste Not, Want Not -

I take the leftover yolks and freeze them in an ice cube tray, then dump them into a double ziploc when they are solid.

I take out what I need and thaw it for pastry creme or custard for pies, and I use 1-2 as the extra egg when I experiment with box mix.

The trick is to use them up before they get freezerburn on them. Double-bagged, with the air squeezed out each time I put it back in the freezer, they last about 3 months.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bethola Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm
post #70 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

It wasn't Duff's recipe. It was Shirley's IMBC. I did it at the end. Not sure how much...kept sprinkling to see if I could get stiffer.

Sorry, I can't figure this one out! Maybe someone else more "frosting savvy" than I can!

Beth in KY

Jopalis Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #71 of 169

Do you oil the ice cube tray?

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm
post #72 of 169

I am a newbie, so please, forgive me... but I am totally lost...
Okay, if we use egg whites then we have to make a syrup???? If we use "Just Whites" (which is the only one that we use because the others have perservative) then we do not have to make the warming syrup...
But, be prepared because it does not crust - and why do we want or not want it to crust???? Do you add flavoring like I do the crisco/milk icing that I use???? Does it color well? Because I always see Duff use an airbrush to color his icing and I do not own one yet. *It is on my Newbie Wishlist" Why is this icing better than buttercreme (all crisco version)?

So, let me get this straight... LOL

Take my cake mix, add pudding mix, and some sour cream, and some coffee mate- then I immediately wrap it and let it cool then I freeze it. Then I immediately take the cake out and start icing with Duff's icing (at which the icing must be warm. Viva or melvira smooth it and BAM!! (Emeril Style) and I am ready to start decorating.

@#$^%&@ - those newbies - LOL

Seriously, I love you, all, for all that you do for us. Thank you for your help.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #73 of 169

LOL! iluvcakes5 you are cracking me up!!!

Only don't try the Viva or Melvira method with Duff's icing as it will just stick to it. Only use that method on your Crisco/milk icing - because that kind does "crust". Duff's stays soft.

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 7:15pm
post #74 of 169

Alright Sweet Results... so, if I am wanting the faux fondant look stick with the crisco version??? So then, what in the world is the Duff BC good for? LOL!!!! Seriously, I need a notebook and each day I am just going to sit here and write. LOL!!!!

SweetResults Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 7:31pm
post #75 of 169

Correct - do not use Duff's if you want a faux fondant look, it tastes great under fondant though.

I usually use it for "grown-up" cakes, as it is a bit tough to color, but it can be done. It has a bit more "sophisticated" taste I guess for lack of a better word. Make some and try it - you will get it once you taste it! You can make flowers and decorations with it, and it frosts beautifully smooth without much trouble.

But there is a time and place for "regular" buttercream - I use that for my children's cakes that need really bright colors.

Don't worry - you'll get it LOL! icon_wink.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:01pm
post #76 of 169

You all give the best tips, yet ANOTHER icing I must try!!! Thanks everyone!

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #77 of 169

I have never made a frosting with eggs before, so I am going to ask a really stoopid question !

As for the egg whites could you use meringue powder and water? If so would that make it safe to leave out?

SweetResults Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:23pm
post #78 of 169

You can use meringue powder and water in place of the egg whites.

I don't refrige the cakes when I use fresh eggs, but I do store the excess frosting in ziplocks in the fridge and freeze it as well.

I use my kitchen torch to heat it up in my KA when I have to use it again. Works like a charm!

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #79 of 169

icon_biggrin.gif there is just too much on this site to keep up with!!

I can't wait to try this!

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #80 of 169

Between this site and Good Eats (AB!) I am really hankering for a torch!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #81 of 169

What's the difference between pasteurized egg whites and non-pasteurized egg whites? Also, how do the "artificial" egg whites look and where do you buy them?

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:35pm
post #82 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

What's the difference between pasteurized egg whites and non-pasteurized egg whites? Also, how do the "artificial" egg whites look and where do you buy them?

Pasteurized - brought to a temperature of at least 160 F to kill off salmonella and various other bacteria.....considered safe to eat for all groups of people, including babies, pregnant women, and those with compromised immune systems. Can be done with regular egg whites (ie. straight from the egg) or can be found prepackaged in the dairy case. (look just like egg whites)

Non-pasteurized - not the above icon_wink.gif as in egg whites straight from the shell - UNcooked.

Artificial eggs - as in egg beaters, are egg whites with coloring, preservatives and stabilizers.... not to be used in meringue frostings.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #83 of 169

I love making Martha Stewart's SMBC, I don't find it a bother to whisk the egg whites & sugar over boiling water. It works very well for me. I am however looking forward to trying this new recipe if I can EVER find 100 per cent egg whites here in Kauai. Also if I am making SMBC with fresh eggs, I always try & use the yolks up for dinner, like making a Frittata. This has been a fun & enlightning post. There is another French BC on Cooks.com that is totally different.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #84 of 169

the eggs i buy from the supermarket say pasteurized on them

im guessing the unpasteurized ones would be like fresh eggs you might get if you had your own chickens?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 5:00am
post #85 of 169

Jopalis -

No, I do not have to oil the ice cube trays before I drop the yolks in. I use Rubbermaid ice cube trays, and the yolk cubes pop out very easily when they are completely frozen.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm
post #86 of 169

Man oh Man...Thanks for the info!!!! Just one more reson to LOVE LOVE LOVE DUFF!!!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #87 of 169

My goodness onceuponacake, I have never seen fresh eggs in the supermarket that say pasteurized on them. What brand were they? I thought all fresh eggs were unpasteurized.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 11:37pm
post #88 of 169

This recipe can also be found in the recipe section on this site:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2265-Duff-goldman-butter-cream.html

Add it to your favourites! It was already in mine. But I wasn't sure about making it without having to cook anything (like IMBC or SMBC) but I am now certainly going to give it a try! Tomorrow, in fact!

thumbs_up.gif

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:34pm
post #89 of 169

I found a 'Meringue Mix' at my local GFS grocery supply store. It looks like it is made up of powedered egg whites, corn syrup, citric acid, and maybe some type of preservative. I wondered if it would work to substitute for the egg whites?

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #90 of 169

You could certainly try it, but I believe it will taste WAY different from using the liquid whites. The citric acid is a preservative, but tends to give things a metallic taste...you can smell how it will taste when you open the container! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%