How Do I Bake Cake Layers???

Decorating By isacrowe Updated 26 Apr 2006 , 4:59pm by isacrowe

isacrowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isacrowe Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 10

Hi - this is probably a stupid question, but I'm quite new at decorating and baking cakes. I have to make a wedding cake and I'm just wondering for the larger tiers, do I bake the layers separately or do I slice the layers after it's baked??? I'm wondering about baking evenly and I'm wondering, if I have to bake the layers separately, about leveling??? Could someone please help?!!

9 replies
candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 10

Sure! Here is what I do. I no longer split larger layers. I bake 2 layers, then fill them. Much easier. I bake at 325 degrees. This temp. prevents the humps in cakes. Immediately after the cake comes out of the oven, I place on a cooling rack, place a large terry towel on top & begin to press all over the top. This works really well to level the cake. When cool & you remove them from the pan, I place the bottom layer on my cake plate. I put the other layer in the freezer, as it will be easier to handle when putting on top of the bottom layer. When I am ready to decorate, I put my icing into a decorating bag, & pipe the filling onto the bottom layer. This makes it even all over. Then smooth. Take the frozen cake, place on top, then let it defrost completely b/4 you continue frosting. Hope this helps you! Helen

isacrowe Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 10

Oh, that's a great help. I'm just wondering with this method if you use a heating core (i think that's what it's called!!!)???

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 10

I think I understand what you are asking so here goes:
Generally, each tier is 2 layers, but each LAYER is torted, which means it's cut in half, to make 2 thinner layers. When you stack them on top of each other you have a 4-layer tier. So, let's say you have a 3-tier cake with a 6", 10" and 12" tier. You'll bake 2 layers each of the 6, 10 and 12" - then tort(e?) each 6, 10 and 12" into thinner layers.
Your question is NOT stupid. I just hope my explanation doesn't sound stupid. The trick is to determine the number of cups of batter that each of your pans requires in order to bake a layer. Most boxed cake mixes yield about 4 1/2 to 5 cups of prepared batter. You may find that for some of the larger pans, one box won't cut it. You can find information on the number of cups required either on your pan insert, this site, or the Wilton website (www.wilton.com). Good Luck and make sure you post a pic when you're done!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 10

Bayou gave you some good info. I am going to print it and put it in my "CC Work Book." The concept of the difference between tiers and layers can be confusing when you first start to bake. Go to www.baking911.com. Search for layers and/or filling. You will get a lot of info there.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry, One more thing. I don't split my layers in half anymore unless I feel my cake may be on the dry side.

isacrowe Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 10

So, fearless, I'm understanding that you only put one layer of filling per tier?!....Bayou, do you put filling between all those layers???

Fearless, thanks of the link, I will go and take a look!!

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 10

Yep, filling between all the layers for me.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 10

isacrowe....just wanted to add for ya.....a heating core helps the cake bake more evenly I would say you should use it for any cake over ......say 10" in diameter........I use a flower nail turned upside down instead of the core...I have several of them, and they don't leave a huge hole in the center of the cake!!! Hope that helps you.

isacrowe Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 10

ok...I'll do that!!! Thanks all for your input!! This is going to be a team effort!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%