Enhancing Cherry Chip Box Mix?

Baking By newtocakes Updated 16 Aug 2013 , 5:46pm by adamsgama

newtocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtocakes Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 15

I have a request for a cherry chip cake and I would like to "doctor" the cake mix. Any suggestions on what I could add to make sure this cake tastes great. I always sub milk for water, any other suggestions?? I am using the BC cherry chip cake mix.

Thanks,
Thena

14 replies
jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 15

what about adding a can of cherry pie filling?? Just make sure you decrease the eggs to 2 and probably minus the oil!

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 29 Apr 2006 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 15

thehy do make cherry extract, don't know really what it tastes like, and maybe add a cheesecake pudding. i've added cheesecake pudding to yellow/white cakes, it doesn't give a cheesecake taste, it makes it richer, and people just kind of go "what's that taste, it's delicious"

Cubsfan85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cubsfan85 Posted 1 May 2006 , 4:38am
post #4 of 15

I'm interested too. I'm making a cake for my friend's 21st birthday and the bottom layer is going to be cherry chip. I wanted to do something a bit more special that just straight box mix. I have to make cakes for the next 2 weeks for my Wilton I class so I have 2 times to practice.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:24am
post #5 of 15

does cherry chip mean cherry flavored with chocolate chips?
sounds decadant!

Cubsfan85 Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:33am
post #6 of 15

The cherry chip I'm thinking of doesn't have chocolate in it. It's cherry flavored cake with little bits of cherry throughout. I've only had it once but it was very tasty, and my friend requested something cherry for her birthday.

Cubsfan85 Posted 1 May 2006 , 6:34am
post #7 of 15

The cherry chip I'm thinking of doesn't have chocolate in it. It's cherry flavored cake with little bits of cherry throughout. I've only had it once but it was very tasty, and my friend requested something cherry for her birthday.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 15

oooh! heh i had no clue. icon_redface.gif but it still sounds good. i love cherries!
so.....is it actually a prepackaged mix? or do you doctor it with cherries and cherry flavoring and stuff?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 May 2006 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 15

Oh that is our favorite cake mix in this house =) It is a Betty Crocker flavor. Although I have noticed, at least in my neck of the woods, it is not always easy to find. You can order directly from BC though if you can't find it in your area.

I usually just add a box of cheesecake or vanilla pudding to mine. The cherry flavor in it is perfect for us though. Although for Valentine's day I did use a cherry filling with a cherry icing (yes from the can b/c that is our favorite with the cake... ) However I have also used the cherry icing from the can for the filling and iced in buttercream before, that was also REALly good.

I also ready somewhere on here that someon added 1 can of store frosting to 1 cake mix and they really liked the flavor and moistness. You may want to search for the post =)

Hope this helps.

leily

Cubsfan85 Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:12am
post #10 of 15

I made a cherry chip cake for my Wilton class tonight. I made the mix with half milk half water, and added a box of cheesecake pudding. I also added a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream, although I doubt that made much difference. I wasn't sure how much to add and I didn't want to put to much.

Anyway, the cake was nice and moist and was more dense than just plain box cake. I couldn't taste any cheesecake flavor b/c the cherry flavor was so strong. For that same reason I would NOT add any extra cherry flavoring b/c it is strong enough as it is. Next week I'm going to try the same cake mix and use the cake mix extender on this site. icon_biggrin.gif

Slammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Slammie Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 15

I am doing Cherry Chip Cake Mix with Triple Fudge Chocolate Chip filling and White frosting! 

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 15

How about the WASC recipe minus the almond extract?   I've used other flavors with WASC.

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 15

Since almond goes really well with cherry, I would double the almond extract and eliminate the vanilla.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 15

How about copping up some well-drained merichino? cherries to the mix. More punch and texture.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 15

try this again with spelling

How about chopping up some well-drained merichino? cherries to the mix. More punch and texture

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%