Do You All Listen To Music While You Decorate?

Decorating By jen1977 Updated 27 Apr 2006 , 5:58am by Schmoop

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:18am
post #1 of 36

I have been listening to Bon Jovi's newest cd (and a few old ones too, LOL) while I've been doing my last few cakes. What do you all listen to while you work, or do you get distracted easily with much noise?

35 replies
bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:23am
post #2 of 36

I sometimes put on my ipod while I decorate. If I'm up late decorating than I like to listen to classical music.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:25am
post #3 of 36

I listen to audiobooks or old movies that I've already seen.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:25am
post #4 of 36

Hmmmmmm, like you need to ask icon_lol.gif !

jen1977 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:47am
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Hmmmmmm, like you need to ask icon_lol.gif !

haha, I saw him in concert when I was in the 6th grade. I told my husband that if he tours the US with his latest, we are there, no matter what the tickets cost, LOL.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:53am
post #6 of 36

Oooh, I'm jealous! They are playing here next month, but I won't be going icon_cry.gif , it was a choice between tickets or a new KitchenAid, we couldn't afford both! Tickets were going to be E200 including travel (they are playing the other side of the country!), and a KitchenAid was E340. I chose the KitchenAid (which arrived today - yippeeeeee!), figuring it was a necessity (my other stand mixer died on me 10 days ago - but it was 40 years old!). I WILL see them next time though! I hope you have a great time if you get to go thumbs_up.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:56am
post #7 of 36

I usually have my stereo on most of the day.

We really don't watch much tv in this house b/c I turn it off.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:56am
post #8 of 36

I too listen to my ipod my favorites are Garth, Shania Twain, and Sugarland! I'm just a country girl from TX!

Melissa

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 36

I like to listen to alternative rock stations. Keeps me going when everyone is in bed. I should just bring in the xm radio, but I think I would get icing all over it. I'm kinda messy sometimes!

jen1977 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 36

We don't have our tv on much either. My boys watch a couple cartoons in the morning, then we turn it off and the radio comes on! We don't even have cable!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 36

With 4 kids my background noise is mostly arguing!!!! Just kidding. I have a very busy household. The tv is on if we are home so that is mostly what I'm listening to.

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 36

I make mix cds of all my favorite songs to listen to while I work. Sometimes I listen to the radio, but mine is a POC so it doesnt pick up much. I gotta have my music to motivate in anything I do. lol

BellaRosa

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I have been listening to Bon Jovi's newest cd (and a few old ones too, LOL) while I've been doing my last few cakes. What do you all listen to while you work, or do you get distracted easily with much noise?

No, not to music but I keep the TV on... Especially if I am doing a theme cake, if I have the movie or cartoon that is the same as the theme, I put it on TV for inspiration...

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:17pm
post #14 of 36

Sometimes I'll listen to something if I think about turning it on. Actually I listen to a lot of music since we don't have kids yet and I get lonely while my hubby is at work. Yeah, we hardly ever watch the actual programming on TV, just movies from the library or when we feel like splurging, the video store.

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:18pm
post #15 of 36

Hello to everybody!! I can't work if I don't have music icon_rolleyes.gif I always listen 80's music icon_lol.gif Music just makes me HAPPY.

~Diana~ birthday.gif

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:25pm
post #16 of 36

I listen to movies I've watced a ton of times. Iit's like having an old friend talking to you and you don't have to carry the converstion.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:26pm
post #17 of 36

I normally listen to music on my ipod. i have the playlists set up so that I can change genre based on my mood. i go from country and james taylor...when i am in the groove...to classical when i just need to calm down and not make any mistakes. Normally when I am super busy and out of time!

Julia.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:28pm
post #18 of 36

I usually just have the TV on in the background.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:28pm
post #19 of 36

i to listen to my ipod when i am cleaning the house and doing cake. it just more fun. i listen to spanish, and club music like missy, will smith, and the new one from garth and nelly it's called "over and over again" i love that song.... and lots of other one. during the week most of the time it's just me and my 5 year old in the house so we don't watch much tv we eitheir are in the kitchen with music or outside. and i just cut cable off i only put cable on in the winter. and when it is spring once it's hot outside i disconnect the cable cause at that time the kids are always outside so it's a wast of money in the summer. but in winter they are always inside and the cable is what kept them off my back for an hour or two....

and i save a little in of money $40 to $50 in the summer when i cut it off. and then i use that money like to take the kids out to the pool and other activity but this summer were going to orlando, fl. for a month can't wait for that...

sorry so long,
shaddi

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:33pm
post #20 of 36

Yep, I almost always listen to music while I'm doing a cake. For Christmas 2 years ago my mother-in-law got me one of those under the counter radio/CD players and it's WONDERFUL!
Ususally the Country station is on (I was born and raised in MD, but I think I was switched at birth with a farm girl icon_lol.gif )!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:34pm
post #21 of 36

Glad to see all these iPods! I can't live without mine.

Kelly10176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly10176 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:37pm
post #22 of 36

I've got the stereo set up in the den which is next to my kitchen so i usually have poison or bon jovi blasting out of the speakers while decorating. It works wonders lol

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:14pm
post #23 of 36

I always listen to classical or audio books. I really like loud bouncy classical with a lot of drum rolls and stuff. It makes me work faster and forget I'm tired.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:21pm
post #24 of 36

I'll give you one guess what I have blasting while I'm busy dancing...I mean caking... well okay..both! icon_biggrin.gif

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 36

OOOOOOMAN! Are you kidding me?

Music is my first INGREDIENT, then the rest of the other good stuff... The vibes, Calms ma NERVES 0:-0)

Seclection is based on my mood- From the classics of Bob Dylan and to Eric Clapton my favs.

GOD BLESS XM radio!
icon_cool.gif

Candi_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candi_Cakes Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:02pm
post #26 of 36

I like to listen to some good 'ol country music, or sometimes I listen/watch my soaps while I decorate. I'm a Passions/All My Children fan. Sometimes your hand just gets that 'writers cramp' or is it icing cramp, so I take a mini break and look up at watch my soaps. icon_smile.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:27pm
post #27 of 36

Me I actually work with the tv most of the time. I watch my favorite shows. During the day, I'm on the TLC channel or on Montel or Oprah and evening I watch different tv shows (will n grace, two and ½ men, CSIs, hope and faith) I guess I watch too much tv... When it's rerun season, well there goes my music. I listen to Madonna, Reba, Bonjovi, Mariah Carey and Michele Richard (a quebec singer, french singing only) But me working in pure silence??? Are you kidding?? I'm with the others in here: that's the main INGREDIENT in the cake. If the baker's happy the cake will look and taste grrreat!!!! That's what I say to my customers, "there's love in it", that's why it tastes sooo goooooood!!!! icon_smile.gif
Lorris

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:31pm
post #28 of 36

I listen to soothing, uplifting music while I decorate. That helps me stay calm. I have a tendency to freak out easily. Somehow, the music helps.

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 6:52pm
post #29 of 36

Music? What is that? The only sounds I hear while decorating a cake are my 8 year old and my two year old twins fighting over the exact same toy. Followed by me hollering, "Will, ya'll just knock it off?", "Stop throwing the ball! You almost hit the cake.", or "Don't make me put down the spatula to come after all of you."

Actually, I don't like to hear anything when I decorate. I love the piece and quiet of my kitchen when everyone is asleep. I can focus more and listen to myself mutter over my cake.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 6:59pm
post #30 of 36

Yes, I listen to the Universal Language about 90% of waking hours. Mostly the beautiful and soothing Brazilian: Jobim, Luis Bonfa et al. Any other Brazilan Affecionodas on CC that can lead me to more? My cakes turn out prettier and my plants grow better with music.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%