Anybody Else Addicted To Diet Coke?

Lounge By meghan89 Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 7:18am by winniemog

meghan89 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 4:45am
post #1 of 40

Hello everybody! Just wondering if anybody is addicted to diet coke? I probably drink an average of 3 cans of diet coke a day, and its driving me crazy!! I know I should be drinking water, but I love diet coke!

39 replies
o0lilnikki0o Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 6:02am
post #2 of 40

yyyyyyyesssssssssss i am very addicted to diet coke/pepsi!

hey. at least its diet!

veejaytx Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 7:04am
post #3 of 40

Yes, definitely addicted! Usually I prefer Diet Coke, but have recently tried the Dr Pepper Cherry Vanilla and can't get enough of that! For a while I managed to only have one a day, but lately have been drinking at least 2 or 3 a day, absolutely craving the darned things! Janice

bodaisy Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 9:56am
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan89

Hello everybody! Just wondering if anybody is addicted to diet coke? I probably drink an average of 3 cans of diet coke a day, and its driving me crazy!! I know I should be drinking water, but I love diet coke!

I just wanted to give you a head's up. I love dc and the good news is that on my sparkpeople.com 12ounces of dc doesn't even register on the scale for calories and such. You get into anything more than that and the calories start to count. So I can sneak one in every now and then and not feel guilty icon_razz.gif

Just thought I'd share..

b

lilladycreations Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 40

I USED TO HATE DIET COKE, BUT I WAS DRINKING WAY TOO MUCH REGULAR COKE I HAVE NOW SWITCH, I LOVE THE DIET BLACK CHERRY VANILLA, I HAVE A 12 PACK OF COKE SITTING UNDER MY DESK AT WORK.

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 40

I LOVE diet coke. Love diet cherry even more...icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 40

add me to the list of the addicted. I drink a minimum of 2 cans a day sometimes more, i really have to control myself or before i know it a six pack is gone.

I have tried to break the habit, but haven't been successful for long.

flayvurdfun Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 12:23am
post #8 of 40

I tried to drink one last night and couldn't.... the after test killed me.... I usually like the sodas that you cannot tell it's diet.... but honestly diet soda and I don't mix.... thats why my hips and thighs are the way they are.... icon_lol.gif

Jenn123 Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 12:28am
post #9 of 40

I love Coke Zero. It tastes so much better than Diet Coke (which I don't like much). Don't pour over ice though...it has an aftertaste when watered down.

cande Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 12:58am
post #10 of 40

party.gif Lol...when I saw this thread I had to read it b/c when I was little I had an uncle who swam in Diet Coke, lol. He would drink a 12 pack or more a day---by himself. icon_surprised.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy

I just wanted to give you a head's up. I love dc and the good news is that on my sparkpeople.com 12ounces of dc doesn't even register on the scale for calories and such. You get into anything more than that and the calories start to count.

b

Just wanted to let you know that while a DC doesn't have any calories, it still is not 'good' for your body. (Or maybe a better way to word that is that it isn't helpful.) When you drink diet drinks (or anything sweetened with artificial sweetner) your body still reacts the same way it would if you had eaten real sugar--it produces insulin. This is not only not good for you; but, it is also self-defeating. It in turn makes you hungry. It's a vicious cycle, lol. If you were to drink water instead, it would do just the opposite and fill you up. Or even better, if you drink self-brewed ice tea (no sugar) you fight off cancer, wrinkles, fill your tummy up and hydrate your body thumbs_up.gif

I used to be a juice addict. I slowly weaned myself by adding water to the jusice and dilluting more and more until I was only drinking water. I guess you can't really do that with Coke though, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

shhh.gifJust putting my Nutrtion 101 knowledge to good use icon_lol.gif Mom would be proud to see that my college education didn't go to waste, lmao hat1.gif

CakesByEllen Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 40

Just a word of caution ...

Drinking a lot of soda (diet or not) can lead to osteoperosis. The problem is the phosphorous in the soda will leach the calcium from your bones. Seriously.

While I don't think 1 or 2 sodas a day are a problem, more might be. I don't know that much about it, just what I have shared here. Next time you see your doctor, ask the question and see what they say.

Sorry to be a downer.

BTW, my absolute favorite is the diet coke with lime. And yes, I could drink a 2 liter bottle sometimes!

susanmm23 Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 40

i use to be a reg pepsi addict. when ever i got stressed i would drink tons of it. lol it was like my cigs lol ihavent had a drop of soda since feb 19th (due to my new diet.) the dr told me that its not the syrup thats soo bad its the carbonation that gets you. also when i was in school in science we did an experiment where we took a pound of steak and put it in a bowl of coke/pepsi and in one our a good portion of it had been eaten away fromt he acids just imagine what its doing to your stomach!!!!! granted when you drink it it doesnt sit there in your stomach all day long but over time it will cause damage.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 40

i know this thread is ancient but yes i love diet coke but it's really bad for me so i avoid it but i have been partaking of the green coke sweetened with sugar and stevia -- only 90 calories per 12 oz can -- tastes great -- and fyi it's green in name and labeling it's a regular brown cola color -- have you tried it do you like it?

it's potentially a better choice than diet coke i hope it is :)

jgifford Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 40

Keep in mind that anything "diet" is NOT good for you, no matter how it is sweetened.  The shelf-life of a diet soda is only 90 days, from production to expiration. There's a reason for that.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 10:25pm
post #15 of 40

the reason is it sucks after 90 days?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 40

it's marketed as 'reduced calorie' called 'coca cola life' it doesn't say diet on it -- fwiw the expiration day is March 28, 2016 -- wow that's longer than sugar/corn syrup sweetened coke

jgifford Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 40

Since stevia is supposed to be all natural, I would imagine that's why it has a date so far out.  Artificial sweeteners tend to start breaking down around 90 days or so, so the manufacturers treat it as "you're on your own if you drink it past the expiration date". That way, they're not responsible for bad taste, bad reaction, etc.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 40

you're right and in addition to that aspartame is bad for you whether it's fresh or past the expiration date and so is carbonation -- I mean stevia is distilled from a leaf -- so  they probably just haven't figured out how it plays into our ultimate demises yet hahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 40

but the fact remains that I am a junk food junkie -- I love coke and this is a way to have a less unhealthy version now & then so I don't feel so drastically deprived when I'm in food prison which should be all the time...

winniemog Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 9:22am
post #20 of 40

Ha! - K8 - I can just see you behind bars girl...,stretching out your arm, trying to reach that can of coke that's just beyond your grasp....

...and I'm in that food prison right by your side - thanks to my own mother's food issues, I have so much food baggage I can't think straight around food - I just get stressed!

At least there's good company in the lock up....

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 10:34pm
post #21 of 40

yes very good company in the lock up, winniemog! my drug of choice (to sooth all that ails) is potato chips and you can't turn any which way in the grocery store without seeing another display of potato chips -- seriously you have to pass at least FOUR different displays of the same brand to get in and out not to mention all the chip choices at the check out stand -- food prison can only keep you locked down so long kwim hahahaha

winniemog Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 4:31am
post #22 of 40

Oh K8 - now there is addiction on a plate (or bowl, or straight up out of the bag!) - potato chips. I cannot restrain myself AT ALL around them. I literally never buy them and if I'm at a party where they're served I can't stop eating them until they are all gone. I am a very disciplined person with most things - but potato chips are my crack...

mccantsbakes Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 6:59am
post #23 of 40

I could exist forever on potato chips, sweet tea and cheese.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 4:55pm
post #24 of 40

c'mon! and potatoes are VEGETABLES -- work with me on this, people -- we need a new food pyramid with chips on there wth --

oh my tea, mccantsb, i use decaf green tea sweetened with stevia -- i love it but recently i added a few blueberries and it tastes like grape kool-aid -- don't know if i can finish that quart -- probably need to think that over while munching on a few chips...

jgifford Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 40

Potatoes ARE vegetables - that makes them SALAD!

We own a restaurant, but most days we get home and realize we haven't eaten all day. My DH insists we CAN live on pop tarts and slim jims because they keep making them.   And the pop tarts are fruit and the slim jims are protein, so we're good!

winniemog Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 8:10pm
post #26 of 40

You lot remind me of my justification for having a gin and tonic for dinner (that's right - not with dinner, but as a food replacement) after a really tough cake week, when I can't face cooking or even standing up. I say to myself - it's got a slice of lemon in it - so there's a serve of fruit - plus the quinine in the tonic water is an anti malarial (not that there's much need for that in deepest darkest suburban Melbourne, but best to be safe than sorry, I always say!) 

My husband can always rate the week by what happens for "dinner" after the last delivery - children plus husband always fed is a given - but then if I eat, the week's been ok. A 1 G&T week means it's been tough, but 2 G&Ts means that I am exhausted plus my nerves were shaken up by a difficult delivery!

On reflection though, I should probably be including some salad (aka potato chips) with my fruit....although where that will stop I have no idea....it's a slippery slope from there I think....

jgifford Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 8:21pm
post #27 of 40

Kudos to you for being able to swallow gin and tonic.  I have to go with the French vanilla Kahlua myself.

winniemog Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 9:13pm
post #28 of 40

I'm sure there's antioxidants in the French vanilla....it is from a plant after all - so there's another of your five a day out of the way.

You must be glowing with health between your chips and your beverage of choice - you should start a health blog (don't knock it, all the best celebrities are doing it - and they're without any knowledge whatsoever...at least you're living the dream of the healthy diet...)

winniemog Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 9:30pm
post #29 of 40

Oh no I've got it - French vanilla kahlua is actually a spice infusion, like chai - so it really is good for you! Plus there's a little dairy so I'm sure you can feel that calcium doing your bones good!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2015 , 1:21am
post #30 of 40

i love this thread

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%