?'s About Rolled Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By llbean Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm by Twopeasinapod

llbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbean Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:01am
post #1 of 24

I am interested in trying this out. I love to work with fondant but am not a big fan of the taste.

Do I still frost with a bit of regular buttercream underneath it like with fondant?

I assume it will be sweeter than regular bc by the recipe, but will it be as sweet as fondant?

Is it fairly easy to work with? Even in high humidity?

Okay, I'm done asking questions. Thanks for your help!

23 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:06am
post #2 of 24

I think rolled BC tastes way better than all the fondants I have used. You can flavor it up with Loraine oils, make it very yummy you use it just like a fondant.. However...

It is greaser than fondant which I happen to like for figure molding, but some do not care for this..

and is very hard to cover a whole cake with. If I am covering a whole cake I will do 50% fondant 50% rolled BC

Hope this helps.. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:20am
post #3 of 24

"If I am covering a whole cake I will do 50% fondant 50% rolled BC."

Florimbio: How does this work out? How come the fat in the BC doesn't break down the fondant?

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:47am
post #4 of 24

I'm no expert on RB, but here's my experience with it.

After reading a thread on a MMF/RB mixture, that was easier to work with than straight RB, I though I'd try it. The RB is very easy to make and quite tasty. It is sweeter than regular butter cream and a bit more tasty than MMF. To make the mixture (50/50), I just kneaded together the MMF and RB. I found the MMF/RB mixture harder to work with than fondant. It was very soft and had a tendency stretch (almost flow down the side of the cake). It was actually easier to apply if I made my circle of rolled icing too small and let it stretch after I put it on the cake. I have a hard time imagining anyone covering a whole cake in straight RB it is so soft and has none of elasticity of fondant.

I also don't think that the MMF/RB is quite as smooth as fondant. Not that the cake came out bad. I entered it in the baby shower contest and came in third, but I would of had less trouble with straight fondant.

That said I would use RB again for decorations, especially things that folks are very likely to eat. Also RB has a shiny finish, but you can dust it with powdered sugar if you want a matte finish.

Florimbio Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 24

Yes you just kneed 50/50 together...I does not break down

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 24

I keep reading about how people don't think they could cover a cake with rolled buttercream; a few months ago, I was experiencing with different icings, because I have such a hard time getting a smooth finish. The Rolled Buttercream was my absolute favorite; and I had no problem with covering a cake with it. It was, however, a little bit greasy, like everyone says, and you probably should add a bit more sugar to it. But I loved it, and it was the favorite of everyone else at the office, out of four cakes!

Florimbio Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 24

I love rolled bc...but I can not cover a cake with it that is bigger than a 8 inch round, but I am no expert...It kept tearing on me, but it is easier to smooth...

YanaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanaK Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 24

Ladies, can anyone point me to the right dirrection for the recipe of this Rolled Buttercream thing. I have never heard of it before. Very cusious!
Thanks in advance!

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 24

if you do a search in the recipes, you can find one. THere may be a few different ones you can try out!

YanaK Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 24

That's the trick. I did search, but all I could find was Crusting Buttercream, it did not look the same.
Search for "all categories" produced trillion results icon_sad.gif. I thought someone may saved a link ...

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 24
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 24

I covered my final cake for wilton course III in rolled buttercream because I did not like the taste of the fondant and it gave the instructor another idea for covering cakes. I had no problems with it at all I found it very easy to use and I just dusted it with powdered sugar when I was done. My instructor could not believe it was not fondant. The picture is in my photos the two tier one with roses.

YanaK Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

YanaK....here's the link to the recipe.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

Thanks a lot cambo! I'll give it a go when I cover my cake next time.

metweety6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metweety6 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 24

I found the recipe..
I have a question about the lemon oil and orange oil.
Do you really need those or can i add in just vanilla.I assume the reason for them is for the flavor. But what do i know..
thanks for any help

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 24

You can add any flavorings you like!

metweety6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metweety6 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 24

Thanks for the tip..I am going to try and make a 3d piglet.I am using my small teddy bear pan for his body.So that why i needed this recipe .I used it before and everyone liked it alot better than the store bought fondant..
Any helpful hint in making this cake and using the RB would be great..
wish me luck thumbs_up.gif

alliekat75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliekat75 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #17 of 24

Quick question,
In lieu of the lemon/orange oils, can you substitute vanilla? I'm brand new to decorating & am slightly intimidated by fondant. This sounds like a good alternative. Thank you.

ETA: Can you let his dry out for a few days for curliequest, dots, etc, similar to fondant? Thanks again.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #18 of 24

Yes, you can substitute any flavors you want. In fact, the recipe I've always used for Rolled BC was just 1 c. corn syrup 1 c. shortening 1 tsp. vanilla 2 lb sugar.

Also, this will not dry out on it's own. Actually, it's a waaay softer than regular fondant so you will have to add either gum paste or tylose powder to harden it.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 24

I also learned here on CC to mix 50% RBC and 50% gumpaste. Then it will dry and be good for molding. I haven't tried it yet but made a batch up last night. I am just watching the clock for 4:00 to come so I can send my 1st grade class home and I can run home to use it!!! I am such a cake dork.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 24

My experience with RBC was a flop...it was SO incredibly greasy, I couldn't figure out how people actually work with it.

There is another recipe (here at CC) that calls for cake flour along with the other ingredients...has anyone ever tried that one? Maybe the flour absorbs some of the grease...I don't know.

Twopeasinapod Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:44am
post #21 of 24

Okay, I just finished cookies using the RBC. LOVED IT!!!! I did not think it was hard to work with at all and it was so quick to cover lots of cookies at one time. I will definetly be using it again and again!!!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:59am
post #22 of 24

RBC is great for cookies. I tried it once for a cake and gave up - I just couldnt do it. But then again, I'm no expert at all

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeasinapod

Okay, I just finished cookies using the RBC. LOVED IT!!!! I did not think it was hard to work with at all and it was so quick to cover lots of cookies at one time. I will definetly be using it again and again!!!

Did you combine your RBC with gumpaste?

Twopeasinapod Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 24

No, I did not use it with gumpaste since I was only covering the cookies. I did mix a little with gumpaste and made some flowers and they are drying beautifully!
sayhellojana, I am far from on expert! icon_surprised.gif But I am one who just jumps in with both feet and tries new things! icon_eek.gif
Tonight I am going to add details with RI and then I will post the pictures but so far I am very pleased with the results. My husband even said he liked the taste better because it didn't have that too sweet taste but was just right. And he is NOT a cookie fan!! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%