Bake Even Strips

Decorating By texaskitty Updated 25 Apr 2006 , 6:57pm by poppie

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 23

I have noticed that all the cakes I bake with the bake even strips have a slightly funny taste to them. I wasn't sure if it was the strips or my cake so the next cake I made I did one layer with the strips and one layer without. The layer with the strips definitely tasted funny. My mother said she has had the same problem with her baking strips. Does anyone know of a way to keep this from happening to my cakes other than not using the strips?

22 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 23

Wish I could help but I haven't noticed anything funny tasting. Anyone else out there? Best of luck.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 23

I noticed that there was a funny smell when they were baking but it didn't affect my cakes. I no longer use them, I didn't see much of a difference.

cpriojas28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpriojas28 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 23

Nope, never had a problem w/my strips. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 23

Sorry, never had a problem with the taste but did have a problem with them burning!!!
I no longer use them!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkaylassweets

Sorry, never had a problem with the taste but did have a problem with them burning!!!
I no longer use them!

LOL I'm sure that's what caused my funny smell also!

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 23

I guess I don't understand how they could cause a funny taste. They don't touch the batter at all.
I haven't had a problem. I really like mine.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 23

I have posted in the forum about this very same thing before! I made a baby shower cake with the bake-even strips and my cake layers not only smelled funny, they most definitely tasted funny. I haven't used them since. I don't know if I didn't get them wet enough and they burned. I have no idea what went wrong because I know many people have lots of success with these but I will NEVER use them again. I opt to use the flower nail for even cakes instead...ahhhhh, sweet smelling, nice tasting cakes again! thumbs_up.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 23

If the strips are burning, the burnt "smell" can get into your cakes. I don't use the strips, because personally I don't think they do much and aren't worth the hassle. If they are making your cakes taste funny, I would just stop using them.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:39am
post #10 of 23

I agree with SarahJane - I didn't see much difference & they were a BIG hassle. I haven't used mine in years.

aerobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aerobaby Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:41am
post #11 of 23

How do you use the flower nail for even cakes?

BellaDonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaDonna Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 10:26am
post #12 of 23

I used them once. I know they helped bake my cake more evenly. (I know this because I tried a test cake without them and it was dark brown around the edges, on the border of being burnt. With the strips it was golden brown.) Anyway, after baking they smelled awful! Stunk up my whole kitchen. I coulcn't stand it. It did not effect the taste of my cake, but I could see whereas it could. I won't use them again. I have seen some post on how to make generic baking strips at home. I'm going to give them a try next time.

Flower nail - Take a metal flower nail and lay in flat side down in the center of your baking pan. Coat it with "Pam" of the equivent thereof. When you take your cake out of the oven and flip the pan. Remove nail. This works great!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 23

Well, I guess I'm the odd one out. I use my strips for almost every cake I make. I find it makes a much more even rising cake. I made cakes without them and always ended up leveling them. I never have to do that when I use the bake even strips. I do make sure I soak them for some time before using though. If you're getting a smell, then perhaps they weren't totally soaked through? I also bake at 325, so perhaps that's why mine don't burn.

Good luck!

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 23

You aren't odd. I always use mine. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't soak mine enough. You have to get them very wet.

BellaDonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaDonna Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 23

For the record, mine were soaked. I soaked them in a bowl the entire time I made the cake batter. That would be about 10 - 15 minutes. The cake was baked at 325. As stated, they did what they were supposed to do. I however am not willing to put up with the stench, and when I say stench, I am not talking about being burned. I am talking about an odor. Milage may vary, but I assure you I used them correctly. They still stank!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:56pm
post #16 of 23

I just started using them too, and just love them! I have always cut the crown off - these strips take out the guess work. I too, bake at 325 and soaked them quite well.

dparrish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dparrish Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:12pm
post #17 of 23

What brand of strips do you use?

I have a set of Wilton ones and a set of the Magi-Cake strips. I think the Magi-Cake strips are a million times better. They have cotton in between the layers and hold a lot more water. I barely run my fingers across it before putting it on my pan and they are really wet. They are still wet when I take my cake out of the oven, where the Wilton ones are completely dry.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:17pm
post #18 of 23

I love the baking strips. I use them with every cake I make. Where do you buy Magi-Cake strips?

dparrish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dparrish Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:21pm
post #19 of 23

I ordered mine out of the Sweet Celebrations catalog. Their website is www.sweetc.com

I would reccomend calling and asking them to send you a catalog. It is very hard to read online.

I first read about the Magi-cake strips in the book "The Cake Bible."

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:27pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks.

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 5:19pm
post #21 of 23

I also love my strips and use them on all my cakes. I have never noticed a smell or a funny taste.

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 5:55pm
post #22 of 23

I was using the Wilton brand strips. Maybe I will have to try the Magi-Cake strips. Almost every cake I have baked has been in my mother's oven (she has a much larger kitchen than I do). I wonder if there is something with her oven that is causing the batter to absorb the fumes from the strips, hence the bad taste.

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 6:57pm
post #23 of 23

I make my own out of old towels and they work the same as the bought with out the smell or taste.Give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%