Ashamed To Admit This, But Desperate....

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 8:55pm by midialjoje

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 19

icon_redface.gif I have to pick up and use canned frosting for my son's birthday cake as I am very pressed for time and was unable to make icing last nite (so ashamed). icon_redface.gif Is there a way to doctor a canned icing (chocolate) to make it taste a little better?

deb

18 replies
heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 19

Hmm..I'm not really sure if you can doctor up chocolate frosting from a can or not. Maybe you can add a little extra cocoa powder and some heavy cream or something?? I'm not really sure, you could experiment if you want to, but I don't think it's completely necessary. I'm sure your son will love it regardless, and at least you are using the chocolate, I think if you are going to use canned icing the chocolate is a lot better than the others! But really don't worry too much about it, it is okay, we can't always do it all, right?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 19

I am sure your son won't even know the difference! Tell him you made it and hide the cans...then say you will never make that recipe again! That way he could never compare it!
We all are busy people! Don't get upset because you are human!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CAKE! icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 19

Wilton makes a ready to use tub of chocolate and vanilla/white icing now. It's the same size as the store bought type that tastes nasty. They say it tastes just like BC but I don't know lol.. they sell it at my walmart and other craft stores that sell other wilton products.

It's ok to use canned icing when in a pinch icon_wink.gif it's just going to taste not so good to you because you are used to BC now icon_wink.gif that's how we are we can't stand any cake that has canned icing on it lol.. but others won't mind I'm sure icon_smile.gif

shannonfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonfl Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 19

There is a store bought buttercream extender in the recipe section. It does not specify a flavor just adding extra sugar and flavoring, might be worth a try.

suchie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suchie6 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 19

I'm not sure how old your son is or the people who will be eating the cake - but - I'm sure they won't mind. If it's a problem for you though - some of our Publix stores will sell you a tub of their icing. May work out a little better then the can stuff with regard to decorating....

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 19

you can add powdered sugar to make it stiffer and a taste a bit different. my family PREFERS the stuff so i haev learned to be able to pipe with it on their cakes. youll be fine. he might actually like it. my family prefers vanilla though.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 19

The Wilton ready to use chocolate decorator icing is pretty good! I had to use it in a pinch and was pleasantly suprised by how good it was.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks all. Being he is 25, don't think he will mind......I made the cake and yummy filling and he is happy with that. Now to look for that icing extender recipe....

deb

kiki36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki36 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 19

there is a cream extender here some where just like the cake extender on this site but I forgot where icon_cry.gif

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 19

Have you considered purchasing from the bakery at your local Sam's Club or Costo? I've read posts here on CC and some folks use it all the time.

writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 19
swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 19

that recipe is just regular buttercream (atleast what i make) minus the water and with a can added

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:17pm
post #14 of 19

that recipe is just regular buttercream (atleast what i make) minus the water and with a can added

LOL! That is what I thought too !!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 19

OMG how could you??? LOL Just kidding. I can top that though icon_redface.gif
My oldest dd's birthday is 3 days before Christmas and I just plain ran out of time (my own fault) for her cake. Then my baby got sick so I ran to the grocery store and bought a pretty chocolate 8 inch round and a smash cake and stacked them then placed the fondant figures on that cake lol. I did add quick borders and it actually looked nice. She loved it the same but I felt terrible icon_sad.gificon_redface.gif And I did not take pics of it, just her lol. I hope that story makes you feel better lol.

Gallettita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gallettita Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 19

Hi guys, I've done it it was chocolate cake and I didnt like the taste so I just added some whipping cream and it was delicious. It worked for me thumbs_up.gif Good luck

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 19

I've had my kids ask for can frosting instead of the usual buttercream...go figure!

Queen_of_Tartz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queen_of_Tartz Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:50pm
post #18 of 19

As the only baker in my little business, I don't always have time to make butter cream from scratch. Sometimes, a prepared icing works better. . . holds up in heat, cold, travel, etc. better. I use Henry and Henry Imperial Chocolate, but always doctor it. Here's what I do. . . .

A blob of frosting goes into my mixer and I beat it until it is really soft and has been fluffed a bit. Even more air helps with the flavor.

When I am good and ready I add a bit of heavy cream, vanilla, and beat the whole mess some more. If it is too thin, I add powdered sugar.

I have added flavorings made for chocolate (found in the candy making aisle) and believe they work best.

If all else fails, get a small block of chocolate and shave some into the frosting, too. I like Peter's Burgandy best for baking and for making frostings.

I guess - in other words - smack that stuff around and do what feels right. Yummmmmmy.

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:55pm
post #19 of 19

certainly don't mean to one-up anyone, (though no one wants that designation for worst cake decorator mom!!!).

I ran SO MUCH out of time once, that I stopped in the Speedway gas station on my way home from work one day and got a twin pack of Hostess cupcakes for my daughter so she would at least have something to put a candle in when we sang to her.

(plus she was having a party for her friends a few days later and I knew I was making a princess cake for that--my way of rationalizing how bad I was!) you know, it's like the cobbler's son running around w/o shoes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%