Why Ask Why?

Decorating By julzs71 Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 12:58am by Janette

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 17

Why do people ask for your honest opinion and then get mad or their feelings hurt? Why do they pm you with a quick I didn't appreciate the way you said that? If you don't want an honest opinion, make a post that says:
I want your honest opinion (not really, just sugar coat it)
I've seen people get upset, saying they will never get on again and people having to apologize. In all cases it was just someones opinion, They weren't rude, just saying what they thought.

16 replies
SimplySweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySweetTreats Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 17

I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't want it then don't ask. People should understand that everyone here is wanting to help others who are doing and love the same things they do. Appreciate the help and support in trying to better yourself.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 17

Good point! I have wondered the same thing, too.

I realize that we are all human and nobody likes to get negative feedback but when your asking for opinions, you are bound to get some that you don't like.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 17

I know what you mean girlfriend!! Keep your chin up! What I hate is when someone pounces on someone else, and it turns into a huge, drama-filled, cat-fight between 15 or more people! It gets ugly!! Sorry you're having one of 'those' moments!!

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 17

I agree 100%! thumbs_up.gif Just the other day I made a comment on a cake that was posted as to whether or not she should add an additional border at the bottom. I posted that IMHO it would more "complete" if she added the border. WELL...let me tell you. icon_eek.gif There were a ton of replies after mine to the effect of "it's your cake, you know when it's done, you don't have to add a border just because someone else thinks you should, etc. Hello! She asked for opinions! icon_surprised.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 17

I agree that you shouldn't ask for opinions if you can't handle that some may not be what you want to hear.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 17

I second, third, fourth and fifth that.
Very good point. I thought it was just me.

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 17

I thought that was what we on here for. Constructive criticism is how we are going to learn to be better decorators.
If you can't stand the heat don't stand so close to your oven. icon_lol.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 17

Just saw it again. why do people get people get their panties in a buch?

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #10 of 17

Unfortunately we were not gifted with the ability to read each other's minds, so we have to take what people say at face value. And, so often what folks ask for isn't what they really want. I guess each time we critique someone's work we take a chanch of getting shot down...oh well, and on we go.... icon_confused.gif Linda

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:27am
post #11 of 17

I thought CC got rid of all those nasty people

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:37am
post #12 of 17

This doesn't just pertain to cake decorating lol. In terms of honesty in our culture, I think we all need to become kids again, to be able to say what we mean (which doesnt mean being rude) and being able to take it, without getting defensive, or worrying about hurt feelings. Other cultures don't have that problem. Not sure why. Should be mandatory to take critiquing workshops in the course of our schooling, so we learn how to give out constructive criticism and also how to take it in all facets of life.
As one of my creative writing workshop instructors would say, you ask for constructive critique, accept it with an open mind and graciously, but you dont have to use it all. That doesnt mean you have to tell someone where to shove their opinion. Just means you say thanks and decide within your own heart and mind what is valuable for you to use, and what you wont use. Seems simple icon_rolleyes.gif
It's someone's own responsibility to say what they want or to learn how to do that over the course of their lifetime. It's not one's job on the receiving end to try and figure out what that person really wants. How does anyone ever learn how to communicate what they want honestly if everyone assumes oh they probably want sugar coated praise. So what, we have to start lying because someone else isnt willing to be honest? Forget it, not my bag anyway lol

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:38am
post #13 of 17

I just wanted to add

I use to spend too much time thinking how people may take my post the wrong way. Finally I thought if members have seen me around enough they know I don't mean anything harmful.

Now, I just write as myself. If I come across as a smart butt I'm not. I just like to tease.

Sometimes I think maybe we take replies the wrong way.

Not, in your case because you were pm'd. But, it made me think about other comments.

It feels good just being my real self, but when someone says "be honest" - don't, just move on to the next thread.

mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:45am
post #14 of 17

If you can't take the negative comments then you shouldn't ask for honest opinions. Some of us use the negative comments to learn from. I know I do.

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:46am
post #15 of 17

But I don't know who is who.

I'm not taking any chances.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:50am
post #16 of 17

I'll be honest- I got teased for taking apart a poor little sweet pea! I'll tell you what I could of got offended but you know what---I took it as a tease and laughed along!!

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:58am
post #17 of 17

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%