What's A Groom Cake?

Decorating By Solecito Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm by Solecito

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 17

I want to know what's a Goom Cake, or better yet what is it's meaning?

16 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 17

A groom cake is usually a cake that represents something the groom is interested in hobbies, school, sports, job, etc. Or it may be just a very chocolate chocolate cake - alot of times with strawberries. I do know that when I lived in Idaho - never heard of them - moved to Kansas and they are all the rage. More of a southern state tradition.

I always figured a grooms cake was a chance for the groom to have the flavor of cake he wanted instead of the traditional white wedding cake.

As for the meaning - don't know either.

SimplySweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySweetTreats Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 17

I don't think it has any true meaning. Just a way for the groom to have a little input and have somehthing for him to enjoy other than the fondant and flower covered cake.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 17

It is a chocolate cake/chocolate icing or red velvet cake. Traditionally, it is square or double-layer sheet cakes that are stacked and is very simply decorated with shell borders and strawberries, grape clusters or both. In more recent years, it reflects an interest of the groom such as football, hunting, or fishing. The serving size is usually 1/2 to 3/4 that of the wedding (or bride's cake).

This cake is on a separate table if space permits and provides an alternative to white cake. I don't really know the tradition behind it. I just know that growing up in the South, it is a must at every wedding and I grew up thinking that EVERYBODY did this. It was only after I became an adult and went away to college that I realized that it is primarily a Southern thing.

Solecito Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks. I thought I was the only person here that didn't know what it was.

yh9080 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 17

One other note of interest----traditionally, the groom's parents/groom pay for the groom's cake.

Solecito Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for your input. I don't think I will make one, because in Mexico we don't have such a custom. But who knows maybe I can start a new trend.

yh9080 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 17

Solecito - you're right - you might start something new! If you do decide to make one, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

thesasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesasha Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 17

My closest friend is getting married and for the groom cake they are having a Carvel ice cream cake because he insists on a Carvel cake every year for his brthday.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 17

thanks for clearing that one up! I live in an extremely southern place (New Zealand) and had never heard of this either! (Smash cakes too for that matter) I would love to sxee these catch on here too...I will do my best to encourage any grooms (or mothers of 1 year olds) I come across!

Solecito Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

Solecito - you're right - you might start something new! If you do decide to make one, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Thank you I will.

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 17

I remember reading somewhere that in some places, they have a cake served at the rehearsal dinner, which is typically all provided by the grooms family. That cake was done to the grooms liking. But I love the idea of having a wedding cake as well as a grooms cake at the wedding reception so everyone at the wedding can enjoy both!!

yh9080 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 17

The rehearsal dinner is typically paid for by the groom's family/groom. The dessert there can be a cake or whatever else they decide.

However, the groom's cake is served at the wedding. If space permits, it is served on a separate table. Nuts are served from this table too. Sometimes, coffee is also placed on this table.

Also of note is that because the groom's family is responsible for this cake, it may or may not come from the same baker as the bride's cake. Most of the time it does though just because that is more convenient.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 17

A lot of my friends have ordered the grooms' cakes as surprises for their husbands-to-be. I'm not from the south, so I don't really know much about the tradition of it, but it seems to be a trendy thing now for the brides to do something really special with the groom's cake to reflect the interest of the groom. One friend had a groom's cake that looked like a computer, one had a camo cake with deer on it, one had an xbox, several have had flags (military families), etc... Like I said, I don't know much about the tradition of it, but it seems really nice to me to something JUST for the groom that day, when normally so much is about the bride. icon_smile.gif

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:20am
post #15 of 17

Grooms' cakes are expected at every wedding reception here in Texas, too. I have a friend though whose husband is evidently crazy about Oreos, so instead of an actual groom's cake, they had a table with a huge pile of Oreos and a fountain serving milk! icon_lol.gif

lolly1206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolly1206 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:42am
post #16 of 17

Definitely a southern tradition. I am from Georgia and grew up thinking everyone did this. Now that I'm engaged and living in Massachusetts, I realize no one really knows what they are! I'm still planning on having one at the wedding anyway. It will be a surprise to my groom.

Solecito Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 17

I was talking to my husband about this and he said maybe we can start that custom here, but when my son gets married. Hopefully not soon, he's only 17. icon_biggrin.gif

But we'll see. We live in the border and a lot of ideas come from you guys at the USA, so maybe this will catch up soon. And since I know what a groom's cake is and I got you are always so helpfull, I'll have the advantage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%