$20 Tiered Cake? Hahahaha!

Decorating By StaceyC3 Updated 25 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm by Melvira

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 49

I just have to vent a little bit. I bake from home, and receive orders from friends and word of mouth. I really only do one to three cakes a week, so it's really just a hobby at this point. I KNOW that I undercharge, but I'm working on that.

A friend of mine always has me do their monthly office birthday cake, and I discount her because she's my best friend, and the cakes are easy.

A friend at her office asked if I would do a cake for her wedding shower, and she wanted it to look like a mini wedding cake (very simple, white buttercream, I was going to do 8, 6, and 4 inch rounds).

I quoted her $35, because I REALLY need the practice on tiered cakes. And YES, I know, I should have quoted at least $60. Anyway...

Here's the kicker...SHE WANTED TO KNOW IF I WOULD COME DOWN ON THE PRICE!!! icon_eek.gif Of course, I said no, and she is NOT having me do the cake. icon_mad.gif

Who in the heck thinks they should get a tiered cake for $20????

Okay, I feel a little better now!

48 replies
sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 49

She has some nerve! I think that $35 was a awesome price and if I were here I would have jumped on it before you changed your mind. Once she shops around and finds out that you gave her a "steal" she will probably come back to you.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 49

OK, even $60 is way cheap, imo and $20??? that wouldn't cover your costs?!?!?!

I charge $45 for 8" and for that set up I would charge $100!!! And I'm not even that good! LOL

melissa

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 49

Let her go ahead and get a cheaper/smaller cake and or pay the higher price for the tiered cake!

Shel'll learn how good she had it!

Vent away. icon_wink.gif

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 49

I had almost the same thing happen to me. I cant believe the nerve of some people. A guy wanted a birthday cake for his daughter. It was two tiers, covered in fondant and had fondant figures all over it and I said $50 ( which I think is really cheap considering the cake was all fondant and it would take forever to make all of the characters he wanted) and he refused. Good luck trying to find that somewhere else!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 49

I think if you would have charged her $60, that wouldn't have been enough!! And she wants it for $20??? That lady is crazy, tell her to go to Wal Mart and they won't even quote her $20!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 49

Good for you! It's too easy to gain a reputation of being easy to "talk down".....

"oh, just offer her some ridiculous low price....she always comes down!"

You don't want to go there.

To paraphrase Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat (crappy) cake (from walmart)!" icon_lol.gif

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 49

I feel for you. I still do favors for some of my original customers (as in, I barely chage them the ingredient costs) but sometimes they take advantage and it makes me want to scream. One lady emailed me more times about a birthday cake then my brides do on a cake 20 times the size and price. It's unreal.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 49

Good for you!!! I'm glad you stood up for yourself. So many of us underprice our work just trying to get our names out there, and then you have customers who want fabulous custom cakes for next to nothing just because we're not REAL bakers with a storefront. Don't worry... if your cakes taste as good as they look, you'll soon have plenty of customers who are willing to pay whatever you ask!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 49

HAHA, that is hysterical. I bet she will shop around and realize that she can't find anything comparable to you and then come back to you, personally I would say that I have been booked for that day and will charge an additional fee for taking another order if she wants you to do it icon_smile.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 49

Good for you for sticking to your price, it was plenty low enough already.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 49

That lady is crazy!!! icon_eek.gif

You go girl!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Now when she calls you back tell her your prices have raised cause of the cost of supplies to construct it!! Haha! That will show her to ask for a $20 cake!! icon_twisted.gif

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Good for you! It's too easy to gain a reputation of being easy to "talk down".....

"oh, just offer her some ridiculous low price....she always comes down!"

You don't want to go there.

To paraphrase Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat (crappy) cake (from walmart)!" icon_lol.gif

That's TOO FUNNY!!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 49

Good for you at not backing down!!!!

Not to sound ugly, but when she does come back to you, could you somehow ask her why? That way she'll have to admit the reason!!! Couldn't find a quality cake for less!!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #15 of 49

Oh puh-leeeease... you wouldn't do it for $20? What's wrong with you? Let me show you...

Cupcake on top of jumbo muffin, frost... voila... $20 tiered cake!

Oh, I bet you feel foolish now, don't you!! icon_wink.gif

Teasing of course! I would've laughed so hard her phone would've disconnected. icon_rolleyes.gif You hit the nail on the head with knowing that $35 was already unrealistic.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:42pm
post #16 of 49

I believe she thought she would get her cake at your bf's discount price. Tricky thing about discounts, that price usually gets broadcasted.
I did a 2 layer 9' round covered in buttercream roses for my neighbor for only $20. I did it because it was my first paid for cake and I figured it was "good luck" to bring in more business. BUT, I told her that she had to tell everybody she paid $50 icon_wink.gif I figured this was the smartest way to go because it allowed me to be generous to her AND let her know just how much the cake is worth so she is not shocked on any future orders.

I'm doing her son's 13th birthday sheet cake next week thumbs_up.gif

*Don't sell yourself short! Start charging what you are WORTH now. I know I'm inexperienced but on the few cakes I've done...I've had nothing but compliments. My time away from hubby and daughter while I'm slaving away in the kitchen all day is priceless!! No matter how experienced I am*

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:53pm
post #17 of 49

For $20, I'm not sure what she'd get at Walmart...

Maybe she could buy one $13.99 cake and one $7.99 cake and set them on top of each other? icon_twisted.gif

ROFL

You're not missing anything on this one, I promise. icon_wink.gif

StaceyC3 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 49

Ah, thank you guys! I'm finally getting a REALLY good laugh out of the whole thing thanks to your hysterical comments! icon_biggrin.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:07pm
post #19 of 49

Melvira, I like the way you think!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:23am
post #20 of 49

Too funny that she thinks she is going to get a cheaper price! What are people thinking, lol!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:34am
post #21 of 49

What an insult.

Interesting where she is going to get her cake from

StaceyC3 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

What an insult.

Interesting where she is going to get her cake from

That's what I want to know! icon_twisted.gif

My friend who is attending the shower has strict instructions from me to get PICTURES of that cake!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #23 of 49

Ok, Ok, here we go, do this, bake a 12 "square cake, cut out 10" in center of the cake, insert a cardboard square the size you cut out, frost as usual, layer in the square piece you cut out, and frost as you normally would. and Voila... $20.00 cake. In other words don't ever, ever ask me for a $20 cake. icon_evil.gificon_lol.gif and I'm not that good, just devious!!! LOL

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:13am
post #24 of 49

I'm glad you are sticking up for yourself, this lady is insaine!!!!!! Wal-mart won't even do it for that price.

Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:27am
post #25 of 49

I mentioned in another thread when my husband got home I had to share your story with him. Because, I still can't believe it.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:38am
post #26 of 49

If people are not part of the "cake world",they are generally clueless as to how much of our time effort and money(not to mention stress icon_razz.gif ),it takes to do what we do.you were right on saying no to her,but you are going to have to let us know if she comes crawling back to you and your 35$!!!!!!!!!!

Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:43am
post #27 of 49

When's the shower?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:49am
post #28 of 49

Melvira, you are hilarious!

The tiered cake you were going to do would serve about 35 party slices...so at a minimum $2/serving price that is $70 at least! She's definately clueless.

Can't wait to find out what cake ended up at the shower!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #29 of 49

I see Bridezilla in the making. .... RUN! I also say, if she comes back, like a few others mentioned, say you have a few other orders for that date and would have to charge extra, so the price just went up to $70!
What do you think she would expect to pay for her Wedding cake if she wanted to pay $20.00 to serve 24 people for her wedding shower? Say $80 to server 100. .... RUN it's not worth you time or effort! She is the one loosing in this equation!

Good Luck!

Irishprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishprincess Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #30 of 49

Whatever you do, don't underestimate yourself! You are worth way more than you are already charging and she's a complete moron! Some people's children just don't get it!
I just wish I could be there when she comes crawling back to you to BEG for that price. icon_evil.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%