Any Luck Using Wilton Plastic Dowels?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm by mlwideman

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 9

I'm considering trying the Wilton plastic dowels to use in place of the wood dowels for a 3 tier cake.

I'm thinking that because they are wider than the wood, they will provide more stable support. I'm making a 12, 10 and 7 inch round with cardboard in between the layers.

But how do you cut these things straight? I tried to do a practice cut with a sharp knife and I got such a crooked edge that the cake would surely fall!

Does anyone have luck using with these plastic dowels?

8 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 9

I was also thinking about trying these for fondant layered cakes!! Hope you get some input on this one.

I have read where your going to use cardboard between the layers, to use a wooden dowel down through the center of the entire cake for stability? Because you can sharpen the end and it will go through all layers into the base? (can't remember where I read this) icon_redface.gif

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 9

I've seen on here that to cut those straight you would use a pvc pipe cutter from the hardware store. HTH

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 9

I use the wilton plastic dowels all the time and I love them. I have a hard time getting them cut exactly straight too, but it doesn't cause any problems. I also pound the long 1/4" wooden dowel down through the whole stacked cake. Just sharpen the end first and hammer away. I use cardboard cake circles under my tiers. Refrigerating an assembled cake will really help on delivery. HTH

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 9

I cut them with a serrated knife and they don't get crooked. I've hardly use them, but they're far better.

projectqueen Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, I know about the sharpened wood dowel. I have used used those on even 2 tier cakes and they do work great. thumbs_up.gif

But I'm trying to figure out how to get a straight cut on the plastic ones - I guess I'll have to go to Home Depot and look at pipe cutters! Does anyone know how they work?

projectqueen Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 9

Also, do the plastic dowels leave big hunks of missing cake when you remove them? Does it make the cake slices look weird?

Thanks again.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 9

I like the plastic dowels in my larger bottom tiers because they are wider and I can use fewer. I've cut them crooked and straight, just depends on how I cut, but if you're careful you should be able to get them pretty straight.

They do leave a hole in the cake when removed, but hey, that's they way the ...er...cake crumbles.

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 9

I use a pair of pvc cutters to cut my plastic dowel rods. They come out straight every time. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%