New Here And Need To Ask A Question About "cup" Si

Baking By claire74 Updated 24 Apr 2006 , 7:58pm by claire74

claire74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claire74 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 7:30am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking over the last few days, after finding this GREAT site!

Im from the UK and I need to ask (sorry if this is a silly question!) when you measure your butter etc out useing Cups do you fill to the very top? Do you "pack" the butter in to the cup or losely?

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thank you
Regards Claire .

4 replies
Sharon1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharon1964 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 7:44am
post #2 of 5

You firmly pack the butter into the cup. Use a one-cup measure, and fill it to the top and scrape off the excess. Does butter there come in pre-measured sticks or packages? If so, that's what is usually the least messy, to use a premeasured stick that you let soften to room temperature.

Do you have access to US measuring cups? The US cup is the equivalent of 247 milliliters. If you have something that is close, just use that and either add in a little extra butter or take a little away. Very, very few recipes are so picky that an extra little bit is going to matter.

Sharon

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 8:57am
post #3 of 5

Hi Claire,

I'm British too, and my advice is don't bother to try to get butter in and out of cups! It's a simple weight for volume conversion for butter - so 1 cup equals a half a pound bar of butter (250g pack) - you can work the rest out from there! Flour, sugar etc does not apply to this rule, and you will have to use the cups to measure those, but as they are dry ingredients, it's much easier! Hope that helps!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 5

I find when measuring a kitchen scale is the best thing to use.

claire74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claire74 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 5

thumbs_up.gif Thank you for all your advice with the "cup" measurements.
Helped alot.
Claire

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%