Cake Challenge

Decorating By itsloops Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm by EverlastingSweets

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 19

Did anyone watch the cake challenge with Marina, Collette and Bronwen? (silly question, I know!)
Marina's assistant made lots of gumpaste veggies and afterwards, they were sprayed with something. What was that?

18 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:44am
post #2 of 19

I'd like to know! Didn't those look awesome!!? I'm going to experiment with some gumpaste this week and want all the info I can get!!!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:36am
post #3 of 19

I don't know either, but that assistant did AMAZING work!!! That cake won in large part because of her.

How about Colette's partner. Talk about having a bad day. I felt bad for her.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloops

Did anyone watch the cake challenge with Marina, Collette and Bronwen? (silly question, I know!)
Marina's assistant made lots of gumpaste veggies and afterwards, they were sprayed with something. What was that?

I didn't watch the show, but I'm guessing it was confectioner's glaze. It's the coating used to make candies look shiny. There are several brands available. Be careful, some are not food grade.

Michele

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:50am
post #5 of 19

I enjoyed the challenge...felt bad for Colette and her partner. Its bad when there are three entries and two tie for first place. What a letdown!

planeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planeart Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #6 of 19

I'll have to check that out myself. I've never used confectioner's glaze but I'm hearing more about it. The assistant's work was very inspiring and just plain incredible. She was so focused and was just cranking those little works of art out! She definitly has a background in fine arts with how well she constructed and painted.

I also agree that they won in large part because of her. The whole team was very streamlined and efficient. It was neat to watch. I was also wondering why Collette and her partner seemed so unorganized. She's never worked with Choco-pan and they use it for the whole thing? She didn't like the front of the cake but I thought it was all planned out beforehand so that seemed wierd.

It was a good show to see all of the techniques and struggles. It was one of my favorites!

Brooke

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:55am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeart

I'll have to check that out myself. I've never used confectioner's glaze but I'm hearing more about it. The assistant's work was very inspiring and just plain incredible. She was so focused and was just cranking those little works of art out! She definitly has a background in fine arts with how well she constructed and painted.

I also agree that they won in large part because of her. The whole team was very streamlined and efficient. It was neat to watch. I was also wondering why Collette and her partner seemed so unorganized. She's never worked with Choco-pan and they use it for the whole thing? She didn't like the front of the cake but I thought it was all planned out beforehand so that seemed wierd.

It was a good show to see all of the techniques and struggles. It was one of my favorites!

Brooke

There's actually a fairly recent thread on this where the struggles are explained by one of the actual competitors...it lets you understand what went on with the choco pan and etc.

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:57am
post #8 of 19

Can someone post the link to that thread? That would be interesting to read.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 11:13am
post #9 of 19

I have heard about some people using this:

http://www.pastrychef.com/Catalog/edible_spray_lacquer_3582724.htm

Here's a link to the thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=213771&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=challenge&&start=0

If you read thru the thread Marina herself (!) actually explains why some of the competitors had some of the problems that occured. There were some last minute changes to the show that gave the competitors alot less time to plan and prepare.

As someone who used to work in marketing and sales my heart sank for Linda and the choco-pan but hopefully people will understand those were not normal working conditions for the product. I for one gave away the tv studio lights I had in my kitchen months ago! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

itsloops Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 19

Woa!!!

$29.00? I hope that goes a long way.

he he he icon_rolleyes.gif

justinsnaynay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinsnaynay Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:26am
post #11 of 19

I was blown away by the vegetables that she was making. I taped the show just so I could watch closely to see how she made them look so real. I really was really sad to see Collette and Linda have so much trouble and I was almost in tears when they all came together to help them move the cake to the front.

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:36am
post #12 of 19

the second pastry chef was Courtney Clark, her stuff is awesome!
Here is her link:
www.cakenouveau.com
I'm not sure how to link ya'll to it!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 19

I couldn't understand why Colette didn't let the other woman handle the Chocopan - she MAKES it, for God's sake, she must know how to handle it.

EverlastingSweets Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 19

I love Colette, but I had the slight feeling that she was not used to working with someone else? And I guess, if you're working with another baker that is not as proclaimed as Colette, it's hard to find a happy medium. I did feel really bad for the Chocopan lady.

itsloops Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 19

i felt bad for the choco pan lady as well. I think Collette was losing her mind because she was not in charge. She almost seemed out of focus. icon_redface.gif

I can't really judge because I did hear her say they didn't have time to practice the cake.

But whatever the case may be I think she was under alot of stress and I'm sure she's used to working alone.

My husband said she was a bad sport about the whole thing and even said I should throw her books away. icon_surprised.gif

I wouldn't do that. I still think she is incredibly talented. thumbs_up.gif

I only wish that one day I can be as good as her and all the others for that matter. Bronwen is cute as a button. I just love her attitude. icon_smile.gif

Amanda114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda114 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 19

Two questions about Courtney's cakes on her site....
1. how does she get fondant that glittery? brushed on??
2. what are those letters on the tops of her cakes made of ?? gumpaste? and how does she attach them to the cake? Are they painted with a luster dust solution ??
Give me your opinions?

EverlastingSweets Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:47pm
post #17 of 19

is your hubby crazy!! icon_surprised.gif
Those books are expensive! I'm still trying to get some of them, so if you throw them, throw them my way! icon_lol.gif
I thnk that Colette just has her own style and really, I don't know who that Chocopan woman was, but she didn't seem to know what she was doing like the other 2 assistant chefs. She seemed overwhelmed, probably nervous.
I'm sure it was an ego breaker for Colette to come in second place, it would've been third if there hadn't been a tie.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:06pm
post #18 of 19

From what the chocopan lady and Colette were saying is that the hot lights made the fondant too soft and Colette said she never worked with it before.

I did feel sorry for them. I have never seen a Colette cake that was not a delight to see.

EverlastingSweets Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm
post #19 of 19

To make the fondant that glimmery, I think would be the luster dust. Or whatever that glaze was that they sprayed on the food they made that went on their cake challenge. I think someone earlier mentioned confectioners glaze. I need to find out what that is.
The letters are probably made from colored gumpaste?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%