Help!! How Do You Smooth Whipped Frosting?

Decorating By PeaceOfCake Updated 14 Apr 2016 , 3:43am by ValkyrieVixen

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,
I'm making a half sheet cake for a family birthday. They want whipped frosting. I'm trying to frost the cake and am having trouble getting it smooth. With buttercream, I know there is the VIVA method - is there some method for smoothed whipped icing on a cake?

Thanks!

13 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 14

I think you just have to hot knife it and accept the fact that it isn't going to be perfectly smooth. With the wipped icings I've used the more you fuss with them the worse they look.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, less fuss, less mess. I even find it difficult to do it with a hot knife. Whipped frosting is never smooth enough icon_sad.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 14

my best advice for smoothing whipped icing.... don't use it.. hehehe

I find if I don't get it smooth within the first few minutes it is on the cake it isn't going to get smooth. As whipped frosting warms up the air in the frosting expands. Creating more airbubbles for you to find as you try to smooth it out. Before you ice with it Work it gently with a spatula to get as much air out as possible then ice quickly before it starts to warm up.

Good luck.

Leily

PeaceOfCake Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 14

Whew!!! You don't know HOW relieved I am to hear that others have trouble with it too. As I was frosting the cake I just wanted to throw it out the window! I kept trying to smooth it and it did have so many air bubbles, it looked like rough spackling. I finally did a big no-no because I figured it couldn't get much worse and I sprayed water on the top of the cake. This actually did help some although it still wasn't smooth like buttercream.

I would LOVE to stop decorating with whipped, only problem is my husband and his family don't like buttercream, only whipped. So, any requests from them are always whipped. Grrr.

I LOVE CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM!

I'm posting a pic of the finished Blue's Clues cake in my pics (I tried attaching it but it was too big...)

Thanks again for the input!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 14

Whipped icings are challenging.. My only advice would be lots of practice and finding a method that works for you. I use a bench (pastry) scraper and angled spatula. I like like using the bench scraper because it gives me a nice even finish. Also, don't over whip your icing because that will cause serious air bubbles. I use pastry pride a lot and I tend to under whip it so it gives me a nice smooth surface.

Here's a cake I did using pastry pride which is a non-dairy whipped icing.
LL

PeaceOfCake Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks TamiAZ! Your cake is gorgeous! I actually was using Frosting Pride, which I got in the cooler right next to Pastry Pride. Is Pastry Pride better for cakes? Also, I did mix it a lot to get a stiffer consistency. Maybe that was my problem? How do you know when it is mixed enough? I don't want it to be so soft that it slides all over. Like I said, I have to use whipped a lot so I really need to get the hang of this. Thanks!

SULIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SULIE Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 14

well my advise is have a glass of hot water (very hot ) and dip ypu nkife into it, shake it off (water) and them frost it it works for me. hope it works for you.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 14

I use a pastry/bench scraper (although mine is plastic) and I LOVE them. Use them all the time. At work too...although the second you get a nick in them, toss and buy a new one. I work with Rich's Bettercreme every day at work - I whip mine until it's just thick enough to not fall off a side turned spoon. I can usually get mine pretty smooth, although I will admit to have using spritzed on water/hot utensils on it. It's really not that bad...just don't overwhip it. Also, refrigerate and cover it once you whip if you're not using it right away. The longer it sits at room temp, the airier it gets. (My dh just looked at me..."airier? I don't think that's a word..." I don't care. It gets quite airy and dry and you can't smooth it for anything.)

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 14

Where would I find Pastry Pride or Bettercreme? Are they already prepared whipped frostings or are they a liquid that needs to be whipped? I'd love to give it a try.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 12:28am
post #11 of 14

I don't know about Pastry Pride but I can buy Bettercreme from my local cake supply store. In its unwhipped state, it must be kept refrigerated (or frozen), but once whipped, it becomes shelf stable (only in a food safe sense though I would say - it LOOKS better if you keep it refrigerated). It is kind of costly though...also, check with your local supermarket. They may carry Bettercreme (although if it's Hannaford, they call it "Best Creme"). I have sold it whipped to customers before...and also bought some unwhipped for myself....

PeaceOfCake Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 12:40am
post #12 of 14

Pastry Pride and Frosting Pride are available at Smart & Final, not sure if those are nationwide, but its like a restaurant supply type store. They are sold in cartons in a cooler and you can keep them frozen or thawed in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You pour the amount you need into the mixer and whip - no need to add anything further. Apart from my difficulty with smoothing, the frosting does taste very good and it's easy. I haven't bought Bettercreme before but I remember reading on another thread that this is what Walmart uses and it's available at Sam's Club in a big 5 gallon container.

After hearing from you guys, I think my problem was that I was WAY overwhipping. Too much airiness. icon_surprised.gif Good word to describe it! I will try to do it next time just until it sticks to the side of the spoon.

Thanks!

ValkyrieVixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValkyrieVixen Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:41am
post #13 of 14

I learned from my aunt, who has been working with bettercreme for years, and ditto on the Wilton gel colors. She hated the consistency of the pre-whipped stuff and always bought liquid. She would use the hot raised spatula method, but also keep her bettercreme cold. Pastels do work best, but you can get a good tasting dark color. If you have to make a dark black, though, you won't ever get it to taste good. You'll be fine if its just for details, though. Now, I work in (Large Midwestern Grocery Store Chain) and we use bettercreme, but get it pre-whipped as we have not a mixer, whisk, or even the time to whip it ourselves. I hate it, as well. In my opinion, even the factory that makes the stuff over-whips it. A board scraper does work, but I prefer to use the hot water and raised spatula method.

ValkyrieVixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValkyrieVixen Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:43am
post #14 of 14

Okay, WOW. I just realized that this thread is 10 years old.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%