How Long Would You Wait??

Decorating By dbuesing Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 11:22pm by jackfrost

dbuesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbuesing Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 6

I have an out-of-state wedding cake order for the end of August. I've been in touch with the bride (who lives out-of-state) and the design, flavors, etc. have been decided. The mother-in-law (who lives locally) will be paying for the cake. I mailed out a cake contract & invoice to both the bride and MIL on March 30. The bride sent hers back, signed, within the week. No word from the MIL.

I e-mailed MIL last Monday, just checking to make sure she received it, and I received the reply, "Yes, I received it. Things have been really crazy around here lately. Thanks for the reminder." As of today (the 17th), I have yet to receive anything.

I made the mistake of not putting in a deadline for the down payment. Am I being too impatient? When should I contact the MIL again to demand the down payment? How long should I give her? Help!

5 replies
Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 6

E-mail her back with a date that she needs to return the contract as well as the date for final payment. Otherwise you are in the dark. Let her know that you cannot proceed with the cake until these details are followed through. Don't leave yourself wide open for any doubts.

Kathy

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 6

I agree, e-mail or mail the deadline to the mom and copy it to the bride.

I would even say that you've been contacted by another bride for the same date, and you will give her first dibbs IF she gets the contract back to you by the deadline.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 6

I totally agree with elvis. thumbs_up.gif

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

I agree, e-mail or mail the deadline to the mom and copy it to the bride.

I would even say that you've been contacted by another bride for the same date, and you will give her first dibbs IF she gets the contract back to you by the deadline.

Did you draft your own cake contract? I have never seen one but am interested, would you be willing to share a copy of yours or tell me where I can go to this type of contract. Thanks

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry Elvis, I thought I was quoting "dbuesing" conceerning her cake contraCT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%