Giant Roses, Anyone??

Decorating By Kimanalynn Updated 23 Apr 2006 , 5:03pm by sweetbaker

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 16

I have been asked to do a birthday cake for may daughter's teacher; its due next week. IT's a fairly simple design, blue roses on some vines around a happy birthday message. The lady who asked me to do it, the room mom, came to my daughter's birthday party, where I put roses on her cake. She asked me if I could do them any bigger. I told her no at first; I thought the 104 was the biggest tip I had. When I got home, and got to looking, I have TWO giant petal tips; a 127 and a 129, I believe. I also have a very large round tip; I don't know the number, but it is so big it won't fit on a coupler, just in the bag by itself. SO, my question is, any idea how I can do these roses? I am afraid a flower nail would be too small for the base I would need to make for the roses. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. IF anyone has any pictures of giant roses, please share! TIA! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 16

Hiya Kim, welcome to C.C.
Yes you can use the flower nail, just make sure that your frosting is stiff enough not to flop or glob. That's usually what kills those big ones. but yes you can use the regular size nail for those. They turn out wonderful. Don't worry bout couplers either, you just plop the tip into the bag and cut off the end of the bag (only prob with this is that you can't change colors unless you have more than one tip and a different bag). Just experiment with the stiffer icing and see how that works for ya.

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 16

Wilton makes a huge flower nail. I have made large roses before, they are kind of challenging. Your icing has to be the right consistency, though, or they look like a big blob since there is so much icing. They are pretty when finished, though.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 16

As for the tip not fitting on the coupler...try dropping the tip directly into the bag, without using a coupler, it will work.

As for the head of your flower nail being to small...you can attach a small plastic lid to the head of your flower nail to increase the surface area of the nail. I'm thinking the lid off of a PRINGLES can (or a similar size) would work great. Just attach with icing, or tape to the nail head from the underside for more stability!

HTH
glenda

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 16

as a point of reference for how big you can make them, check out this link at Wilton: solitary rose

they made it using the mini-ball pan for the center!
LL

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 16

Wow, thats .... one giant rose! Thanks for sharing, Doug. That helps me alot.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 16

WOW!!!!! Doesn't that give us ideas?????? Thanks Doug!

dqsdaughter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dqsdaughter Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 6:48am
post #8 of 16

that rose on the wilton site is very pretty, but could you imagine eating all of that frosting??? ugg. icon_smile.gif

♥m

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 10:32am
post #9 of 16

thanks Doug, for the pic - I never knew you could make roses that big! icon_eek.gif

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 10:40am
post #10 of 16

very cool...thanks Doug!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 11:21am
post #11 of 16

There is also a size 180 rose tip that is made by Ateco. I have one, and it makes the biggest roses I have ever seen! I happened to luck into it when I went to a supply store in another state.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 16

tmriga---how long is the opening on that big Ateco tip? I have the Wilton 127D giant rose tip and it is 1.5" long. I was just curious...

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 16

I have a little tip for making the frosting stand up. You add quite a bit of meringue powder to your buttercream. It really stabilizes the icing and also makes it crust real well. I do this to my buttercream if someone wants to have a lot of roses on their wedding cake. I can make them a few days ahead and then you can literally pick them up and place them where I want. The best thing is that you can cut through them because they are buttercream.

I think that the last time that I did this, I added 1/4 cup of meringue powder to a single batch of icing.

Good luck
Dawn

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 16

WOW Doug that is one giant rose! Thanks for sharing. It would make a pretty topper.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 16

It's about the same length, but it is slightly bigger at the wide end, which gives the taper more stability.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 16

Great pic Doug. Thanks for the idea.

Dawn, Thanks for the tip. Now I will start to practice making roses again. I haven't done any in a while becausee I just couldn't get the icing consistency right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%