Failed Bavarian Creme

Decorating By CakesByJoJo Updated 29 Apr 2005 , 3:17pm by veejaytx

CakesByJoJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJoJo Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 6:05am
post #1 of 4

I have a bowl full of juicy bavarian creme! icon_sad.gif

I followed the recipe to the "T" - Question ~ how long does the packages of unflavored gelatin last? I have a box that I bought... ohhhh.... 3 yrs ago. icon_redface.gif I did not see any expiration dates on the envelopes. That is the only thing I can think of why the bavarian creme did not set.

Now working on fudgy filling to replace bavarian! thumbs_up.gif

Also I would like to add.. I know it doesn't belong in this forum.. but you ladies are awesome! I have spent a few hours on here reading up on tips and recipes and ideas and I have to say.. the fudgy filling/frosting from Squirrelly Cakes is sooo yummy and the recipe for the Chocolate Explosion Cake was out of this world (I used that for one of the tiers on my SIL wedding reception cake), and I went out and purchased the bismark tip to fill cupcakes with... icon_biggrin.gif Oh my.. how fun is that! My son asked me to open a pastry shop! He said he would help... EAT IT! haha

Thank you ladies - all of you! Thank you for your time and your shared talents! I appreciate you.
Debbie

3 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 9:37am
post #2 of 4

Hi Debbie, welcome to Cake Central! I haven't been here too long myself, but I agree that these ladies, and our gentlemen as well, are awesome!

Sorry, I can't help you with your bavarian creme, wish I could!

I just wanted to say that I for one appreciate you, too, that you took the time to read some of the great tips, recipes and information that is posted here! Also that you recognize the classifications of the Forum topics, and made use of them!

This is a great place to come to learn and share, and I'm glad you have joined us! Maybe you could share your bavarian creme recipe with us, I know I don't know how to make it! Janice

CakesByJoJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJoJo Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Janice~

Thank you for reminding me about the GUYS on this forum! I did not mean, I did not think, I did not realize they are out here also! Guys, please forgive me - I know you are all awesome too and such a great help and inspiration to us all.

The Bavarian Cream recipe that I used came from LadyCakes website. The end result tasted good.... but just was not set up right, so it has to be the gelatin! I was going to buy some at the store and noticed they did not have an expiration date on them either - so I thought I would save money and take a chance - well - I have learned from this and promise to NOT do it again. thumbs_up.gif

I also tried LadyCakes recipe for whipped frosting and it was not only easy, it was yummy! icon_surprised.gif)

Time for work ~ have an awesome weekend everyone!
Debbie

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 4

Hey Debbie you have a great weekend too! Thanks for the recommendation on the bavarian creme, I'll have to give it a try (with fresh gel). I wouldn't have thought the gelatin would "expire" either!

Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%