Beware: Www.cakeart.us

Decorating By TracyRu Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 12:41am by rlsaxe

TracyRu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyRu Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 24

Hey Everyone, just thought I'd share a bad experience with you all so you can be on the look out...

I am currently working on a grooms cake for my sister in law, a poker table theme, that is loosely based on Duff's on his Charm City Cake's website. I loved his playing cards, but know that I don't have the piping skills to achieve what he has, so I found a deck of cards online that was a PDF, and went about trying to find someone to print them on edible paper for me.

I was lucky (so I thought) to stumble upon www.cakeart.us, which states they will print your custom edible images for you. I emailed the owner (Aneta) and sent her my file, asking her if it would be possible to reproduce my image, which she assured me was no problem. I also printed out a copy on my home ink jet color printer to ensure the image was reproducable, which it was.

I ordered the image, and was so psyched for them to come, but upon arrival they were blurred beyond recognition... I then emailed Aneta to let her know that I was dissatisfied with the service, and would have appreciated her letting me know that she could not satisfactorily print the image to a usable quality. Unfortunately this is now 6 days ago (and several more emails) later. She has not replied to any of my complaints, nor refunded my money.

Sorry so long, just an FYI to anyone that is thinking of purchasing from her. Definitely dissatified with my order...

23 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 24

sorry you had a bad experienc. my friend gets her images done at walmart..maybe you could try there.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 24

wow that's to bad .. I have been to that site several times, never ordered from there, and now I'm glad I didn't!

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 24

Wow I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't do many images. Thanks for the tip!

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 24

That's to bad. I'm sure it was a big disappointment. Thanks for letting us know.

TracyRu Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 24

Your friend has her images done at Walmart? Really? I will have to go ask my local one if they will do me the same favor!

Great tip! I would buy the stuff myself, but to be honest with you, I don't do enough edible images to make it worthwhile!

I hope everyone is a little bit weary of ordering now! I've never had this problem with anyone before!

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 24

I am assuming you ordered with a credit card. Personally, if I were you, I would call my credit card and have them fight for the return of funds. I have done ths before with a bad internet vendor. If you have tried to contact them about your problems and they are not contacting you back, that is definitely grounds to get the credit card company involved. (and 'm sure announcing it on cc would help their business either)

TracyRu Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 24

I know this sounds silly, but for the $7.00 (plus $2 shipping) I was charged, I'm not about to spend 6 hours on the phone with my credit card company. I understand the principle of the thing, but with a 2 year old at home... well, I'll just let all of you faithful cake decorators out there know that there is a less than reputable vendor out there... I think that gets the message to her loud and clear...

mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 24

What did she print the image on? Sometimes the images blur really bad when they come out of the printer. Did yours blur at all when you printed it? If you do many images you might want to invest in a printer to devote to food color ink. I have only used the frosting sheets from kopykake. I get beautiful images and can make sure they are just what I want. icon_smile.gif

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 24

I've ordered Drop flowers from there before and never had any problems at all. She has always been prompt with her responses to me. Sorry 4 ur bad experience

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 24

We have 2 local grocery store chains here, Fred Meyers and Safeway, and they will both print them for me. Safeway charges me $10 and FM $7 and they only have the quarter sheet size.... still way better than me buying a printer!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 24

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope Walmart wil be able to to your image!

-Rezzy

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 24

Tracy you know you can buy the edible image sheets and use them in your regular printer, print out the card images, cut them out and attach them to your dried gumpaste shapes. As long as these are not going to be consumed they don't have to be done with edible color. Just be certain you let them know these are to removed from the cake, and either saved as a souvenier or tossed away. Do them yourself and save some time and money.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 24

where are you in atlanta? I know at least one place that can print them out for you, but I'm not sure how close it is to you. They are in smyrna...let me know (pm me) if you're interested.

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks for the FYI!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 24

Aneta.....if you're reading this (and she maybe)....call this woman back and refund her money!!!!!

I'd call the credit card people. It should only take about 10-15 minutes.

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 24

So sorry. Thanks for the heads up.

ckldy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckldy Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:06pm
post #18 of 24

Tracy, You are apparently not receiving my emails. I refunded your total amount within 10 minutes of getting your complaint!!!! I pride myself on my customer service and have sent 3 emails to you-they don't come back, but you might be getting them in your spam filter. Aneta at Cake Art

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:11pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyRu

I know this sounds silly, but for the $7.00 (plus $2 shipping) I was charged, I'm not about to spend 6 hours on the phone with my credit card company. I understand the principle of the thing, but with a 2 year old at home... well, I'll just let all of you faithful cake decorators out there know that there is a less than reputable vendor out there... I think that gets the message to her loud and clear...

You should be able to dispute it online...and it only takes about 5 minutes. She deserves a charge back...after enough of them her processing company will dump her. And it sounds like she kind of deserves it...talk about dishonesty!!

TracyRu Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:36pm
post #20 of 24

Thank you to everyone for responding to my complaint.

First, Aneta called me this evening around 6PM. I unfortunately was not around to take her phone call, but she has refunded my money, and stated that she has sent me multiple emails.

Although I am greatful for the refund of my money, I do not have a Spam blocker on my email account, and am one of those that actually makes certain that my "junk" email is actually junk... so as for not responsibly checking my email, I know for sure that none has been sent to me.

I am therefore ammending my complaint, and thanking all of you for being so supportive. It's nice to know that a community of people putting their heads together to voice a complaint can make more of a difference than just one individual. I hope that my experience is not indicative of the normal service provided by CakeArt.

Again, thanks to you all, your ideas, thoughts, and comments are always appreciated!

TracyRu Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 24

BUMP

(So that anyone that is interested may see the outcome of this posting!)

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:53pm
post #22 of 24

I use cake art all thetime and have gotten nothing but the best customer service from them. They have always called me when I have ordered something that is out of stock. They have given me the best customer service out of all the places I have ordered from. Please don't let one bad experience turn you against them, or anyone else.

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #23 of 24

I completely 100% agree with KayKakes...Aneta does awesome work and sounds as if this was a misunderstanding.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 12:41am
post #24 of 24

wow.....and ckldy joined today to correct the matter. Guess my shout out to her got through??
Welcome ckldy, if you decide to stay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%