How Long Do Rice Krispy Treats Last?

Baking By Liana Updated 26 Sep 2013 , 11:20pm by aktpt09

Liana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liana Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:21am
post #1 of 20

I am planning to make the monkey shaped rice krispy treats shown in this year's Wilton yearbook, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how many days ahead I can make them and have them still taste fresh.

19 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 6:02am
post #2 of 20

Honestly? Rice Krispie treats are best the same day. You can keep them from getting too hard by really sealing them well with Saran Wrap and keeping them air-tight and they will be ok for 2-3 days but they are just so much better-textured the same day.
Hugs Squirrelly

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 10:37am
post #3 of 20

I totally agree with Squirrelly, they're definaetly better the day made.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkopossum

I totally agree with Squirrelly, they're definaetly better the day made.

Heehee, actually they are best when they haven't quite cooled and set up yet, haha! I have a sudden craving...
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 20

How long do they last? I was going to say, not long in my house!

Liana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liana Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 6:30am
post #6 of 20

I didn't think they'd last too long either. I just don't want to have to do them along with a cake at the same time. I guess I'll try sealing with saran wrap. Thanks!

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 6:52am
post #7 of 20

I made some for Childrens Church last weekend (Easter) and cut them out into a flower shape. DH and I had a plate full of scraps to polish off! I made them Saturday night and they were still good on Tuesday afternoon. I tossed the little bit that was left on Wednesday though. They were petrified little Krispies! I just covered them with saran wrap.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 20

they actually last a very long time. just wrap in saran wrap and put in a container. my husband prefers them more crunchy as opposed to the texture of them made on the same day.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 20

..I just happened to read it on the side of the large Rice Krispies box and it reads: Store in airtight container for no more than two days!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 20

I've kept them stored in a plastic container or covered with plastic wrap for up to a week.
I pop them in the microwave and heat them up for about 20 seconds on power level 6 or 7 and it mushes them back to that "just made" stage. icon_smile.gif

Hmm..think I feel a craving coming on...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:01am
post #11 of 20

...mmmm, I'm with you on the craving!!! icon_smile.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:35am
post #12 of 20

About an hour in my house!!!

I'm with SC on the "they are best the same day" thing, but if you wrapped them really well with plastic wrap and then put them in a container with a lid, maybe a couple of days. The microwave thing might work too, I'll have to try it!

gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 11:41am
post #13 of 20

Hi, found this thread through Google, so sorry for hijacking it but what about decorations made from rice krispy treats, as in if they are covering in buttercream and fondant? thanks =]

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:08pm
post #14 of 20

AButtercream and fondant seal in moisture (kinda like plastic wrap [only better]) so the answer is the same. Hth

gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:21pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks!

wiltonaddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiltonaddict Posted 16 May 2013 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 20

I made Rice Krispies treats for the first time 2 weeks ago.  I checked on the Kellogg's website (I'm not sure if I can post a link, but I'm copying the text and pasting them below):

For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
-1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
-Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
-Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. 
-To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

I had to make half of them in advance, so I froze the first batch (by following the instructions).  I let them thaw 15 minutes before serving, and took a bite.  I then compared it to a freshly made one -- they taste equally great to me.  However, it is my first time to make these guys.

JaynieKinns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaynieKinns Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 8:42pm
post #17 of 20

I want to make a Van cake topper for my dad's birthday but I know that he probably wont want to eat it and will keep it. I think it will be easier to make it out of RKT as the base so how long will it last if it isn't eaten? As in will it go moldy etc if he doesn't eat it? If not any better ideas? Thanks

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #18 of 20

AYes it will get gross(how long are you wanting it to last?). If you want to make it edible and still last a very long time, use all gumpaste. Another option is to make an inedible topper out of nontoxic polymers clay.

JaynieKinns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaynieKinns Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 8:23am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

Yes it will get gross(how long are you wanting it to last?). If you want to make it edible and still last a very long time, use all gumpaste. Another option is to make an inedible topper out of nontoxic polymers clay.

To be fair, I don't think my dad will eve eat it so yea, definately not RKT if the word gross is involved, I will probably make it out of solid fondant or gumpaste, think that's the only option

aktpt09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aktpt09 Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 11:20pm
post #20 of 20

I just found this idea from livestrong.com

Freezing

If you are going to freeze marshmallow Krispie treats, it is best to do it soon after you make them, rather than waiting a day or two. The fresher they are when they go into the freezer, the fresher they will taste when they come out. Make sure your freezer temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. To freeze Krispie treats, place them in an airtight, freezer storage container in single layers separated by a sheet of waxed paper. In place of a storage container, you can use a food storage bag designed for use in the freezer. Squeeze any extra air out of the bag before sealing to avoid freezer burn and maintain the quality of the treats. Label and date the container or bag. Freeze the treats for up to six weeks. To thaw and eat, let the treats stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/552760-how-to-keep-marshmallow-krispie-treats-fresh-longer/#ixzz2g2mNYt7r

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%