Still On A Serious Hunt!...

Baking By sugarwithstyle Updated 21 Apr 2006 , 9:07pm by pinkopossum

sugarwithstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwithstyle Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 7

This is not the first time I've spoke on this topic, but I'm on a serious hunt!

I'm still looking for a good, MOIST, dense cake that I can use for carving.
Someone last month told me of the madeira sponge cake. I'm familiar to that recipe from Debbie Brown's books, and it is an excellent cake for carving... HOWEVER, the cake is EXTREMELY DRY, and I don't want to give that cake to any customers. Any ideas on what I could add to doctor this cake and make it more moist? Please help...I'm past desperate!!! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Sugarwithstyle, and welcome!

I would suggest to brush a simple sugar syrup on your cake, this will definately make it moist. There are some recipes here on CC, just do a search. The one I use is 1 sugar to 1-1/2 water, depending on how sweet the cake is.

Regards,
Naty

PS. Very cute name!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 7

sugarwithstyle.......I just use box mixes and add an extra egg, a pudding mix, swap out the water for milk (milk is a tenderizer) and it comes out kinda like a sponge cake, more dense and REALLY great for carving, I then use a simple syrup, one part water to one part sugar, pop it in the microwave to dissolve the sugar, allow it to cool and brush it over each layer of the cake (after I torte)....I'm not familair with the recipe you're using, but the simple syrup will definitely make it more moist...if you don't want a box mix.

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 7

I use a recipe from my Wilton instructor that doctors up a boxed mix. I add a package of instant pudding AND an envelope of Dream Whip to a boxed yellow cake mix, use milk instead of water, omit the oil, add vanilla, almond and butter flavorings, and add 2 TBSP of Meringue Powder. The cake bakes up high and dense like poundcake so you can carve away at it. The cake is suprisingly moist as well without any simple syrup! The color of the cake changes from yellow to white with all of the pudding and dream whip, but, if color is not in issue for you, I suggest this one. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

Sorry, left out the eggs - use 3!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 7

I use the sour cream white almond cake.. you can make it in just about any flavor out there and it's dense and moist.

sugarwithstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwithstyle Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions! I plan on trying them all (EVENTUALLY)! Hopefully there will be at least one I'm happy with...THANKS AGAIN!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%