talking_head Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:35pm
post #1 of

Hi,

A few days ago, we found out my 11mo son is allergic to eggs. I found a few egg-free cake and cookie recipes, but is there a way to frost cookies with an icing that has a consistency similar to royal icing that does not use eggs or meringue powder?

7 replies
Nitu Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:43pm
post #2 of

Oh, I don't know any but I am interested to know about that kind of icing.
Sorry can't help.

Nitu

infields Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:51pm
post #3 of

Hi,
I've always used just powdered sugar and water. It dries hard just like royal and is great on cookies.
Here's a link to a similar post, just be careful with egg substitutes because some of them still contain eggs.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-97457-.html#97457
Renae

ASupergirl Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:54pm
post #4 of

I'm not sure if there is a reciepe on here for it. But I saw a commerical adverstisement for Martha Stewart who was going to make cookies this week on her show without eggs, milk, or.....flour?? .....Try looking up her website for the show. I'm sure that they would have it on there too. But it might be...."a good thing".....to try.. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:03pm
post #5 of

I wasn't aware you could make royal icing without egg whites or meringue powder. I hope you find what you're looking for -
*bump*

talking_head Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:54pm
post #6 of

Thankyou so much!
The icing sugar and water sounds like a great idea. maybe i'll add a few drops of vailla to give it a nice flavour. Thanks again!

erimsy Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 1:17pm
post #7 of

Icing sugar and water are just as fine as with egg white, no one will notice the difference.

Cake_Princess Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 10:38pm
post #8 of

Can't make a royal icing without egg whites (raw eggs, meringue powder, eggs in the box, etc).

You can however do as suggested and use just icing sugar and water. This is a Glace Icing. You could flavor it with a few drops of fresh lime or lemon.

Glace icings are not as strong as Royal Icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%