Train Cake - Everything That Could Go Wrong, Did!

Decorating By Erika1276 Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm by kbochick

Erika1276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika1276 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 6

Well, my son was turning 3 and wanted a train cake. I was going to do a very basic engine but he told me that it had to have an engine, coal car, passenger car and caboose. I figured, how hard could it be since they are all basic shapes...wrong!

I started out by making two half sheet cakes and cutting them into 4 long narrow pieces and then torting those. Then I made the filling and put all four cars together to freeze so it would be easier to carve. I read that trick here, but it did not end up working for me and I don't know what I did wrong.

When I took the frozen cakes out of the freezer, I carved them and they looked great, but then the buttercream froze on the cakes! I could not spread it out at all and then it started pulling off. By 2:30 in the morning I had enough and just did what I could and figured he would love it and my family would not care. The last thing I did was write on it with royal icing which I found the next moring had dripped down the cake.

Of course, it was still a hit with the fam, but wow was I frustrated! Any tips on this whole freezing thing would be much appreciated! I tried to follow the instructions to add the picture as an attachment but that was not working for me either. The cake is in my pics. I think I need to just do nothing for awhile! icon_confused.gif

5 replies
deesquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesquared Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

Well, from the picture, it sure doesn't look like a disaster!
It is an adorable cake, and I'm sure your son loved it!

As for the buttercream freezing onto the cake, I'm not sure why that happened. Perhaps the icing was a bit too thick?

I'm sure some others will have some advice for you.

Dianna

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 6

Your cake looks good. When you went to ice the cake after you carved it, did you let it come to room temp.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 6

I wish my disaster cakes turned out that good!!! That really is a great cake! It may not be what you envisioned, but it honestly is a great cake.

Erika1276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika1276 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you for the kind words! Justsweet, to answer your question, I did not let it come to room temp, but in the past I have taken cakes straight from the freezer, filled them and then frosted. So the only thing I can think of is maybe the cakes are warmer because it takes time to fill them, stack, fill, stack, etc? And by the time I actually frost them, they are more room temp than completely frozen. I just do not want to look at any more blue buttercream for awhile! icon_biggrin.gif

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 6

No hints, but I think it's cute! That's one of those that seems like a disaster when it's happening, but then turns out looking great. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%