Do You Trim Your Cookies?

Baking By mgowan Updated 20 Apr 2006 , 5:44pm by KHalstead

mgowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgowan Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 9

Granted, the no fail cookie recipe does not spread much, but I am experimenting with using the cookie cutter to trim the edges off of the cookie right out of the oven. Do any of you do that and do you like the result?

I am trying the MMF on the wedding cake cookie and then decorating with royal frosting.

8 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 9

I have never done it myself. Sounds like a good idea though. I would just wonder about the crumbs. If it would make it harder to keep them out of your icing. Let us know how it turns out.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 9

I have not found a need to trim my NF cookies, however used the cookie cutter to cut my MMF to put on the cookie - creates a nice border between the edge of the MMF and the cookie.

deb

mgowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgowan Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 9

right deb, I like the border usually. I began trimming when I wanted to do the heart dress and tuxedos. I wanted to do the mmf but did not want the border for that one.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgowan

Granted, the no fail cookie recipe does not spread much, but I am experimenting with using the cookie cutter to trim the edges off of the cookie right out of the oven. Do any of you do that and do you like the result?

I am trying the MMF on the wedding cake cookie and then decorating with royal frosting.

No I never trim my cookies. I think that makes the Cookie looks so unfinished and unprofessional. Also the first thing that it would remind me of is "has someone been eating it and tried to fix it up".

I freeze all of my cut outs to keep spreading to a minimum. Then all I need to do is let them cool and decorate.

Edit for spelling

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 9

The only cookie I have trimmed is gingerbread and only when I'm making a house-to straighten up the edges.

Sandra

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:10am
post #7 of 9

I wonder if that would make the cookie go "stale" faster. Hmmm. I've never done it. I like the "edge" on the cookie as well.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 9

I've never trimmed mine either. I don't have a problem with them spreading so I guess I've never really thought about the need to trim them.

Interesting idea!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 9

I've trimmed my cookies like you're talking about before...actually I did it for my Easter cookies...not all of them though....I only did it because for some reason the No Fail cookies spread and puffed up a lot...I've worked with this recipe before and didn't have any issues, but this time for some reason they didn't hold their shape that well...I did the same thing I always do.....roll out the dough between waxed paper so I don't add any additional flower...and once I cut them out I put them on the cookie sheet and pop it into the freezer for about 10 min. and then straight into the oven. I found that when they came out you could barely tell what they were supposed to be. So I cut them again with the cookie cutter while they were still hot and soft...they looked ok...but it definitely makes the edges rough and crumby!!!! Not really THAT nice of a look...but at least you could tell what they were!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%