chrisrich Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:35pm
post #1 of

When you make stabilzed whipped cream icing, after it's stabilzed, can it be left out or does it need to be refrigerated?

Thanks.

9 replies
awela Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:52pm
post #2 of

It should always be refrigerated, it could be out for a couple of hours before the cake is finished. HTH

chrisrich Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:33pm
post #3 of

OK, so does that mean that I can't put fondant decorations on a cake that was iced in whipped cream?

I've heard that you're not supposed to refrigerate the fondant.
I'm making a stacked gifts cake for my sister's birthday and she doesn't really like butter cream icing so I was going to try the stabilzed whipped cream.
I also wanted to try to make the gift bows out of the marshmallow fondant.

Will these work together? How do I do that?

awela Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:52pm
post #4 of

It's not recommended to put fondant iced cakes in the refrigerator as the temperature will affect it's consistency. Your order is contradictive because you're using two items affected by temperature. Whipped cream even with stabilizer does not hold for too many hours without changing consistency/taste (unless is the one that professional bakers use); on the other hand fondant should not be refrigerated. What about covering your cake with apricot glaze before covering w/fondant. Anyway, I had a friend who told me she put her cake I made for her in the fridge for two days awaiting for her mom to arrive from another state and she did not notice any change in taste or consistency. I personally do not like any fondant , I separate it and eat just the cake. Good luck and let us know!

chrisrich Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:06pm
post #5 of

Well, I wasn't going to use fondant over the whole cake.

I was just thinking of using it for the big bow on top of the present and then maybe using it for small, cut-out decorations on the side of the gift.

Should I find a different way to decorate the cake?

SPQ_Stefi_B Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:32pm
post #6 of

You could add the fondant bow right before the cake is delivered or set up if it is going to be served the same day

awela Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 3:38pm
post #7 of

I agree with SPQ.....

lastingmoments Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 7:54pm
post #8 of

wilton .. has a stabilized whiipped topping that come in a box.....its not too sweet and is light and fluffy.....
the wilton books say that an iced cake can be lets out in rrom tempature for 2-3 days......
this is true i used it for a wedding cake and it did well.....
also ive used this for a base coat before fondant....and it did well.....

I have also put the a cake with whipped topping covered in fondant in the fridge it did good... i just left it out for at room tempature for several hours before needed

cakeconfections Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:16pm
post #9 of

i think if you are not covering the all the cake with fondant it will be fine. the fondant decorations will be fine in the fridge. But when taking the cake out of the fridge, you might want to leave it covered for a bit. It will help keep some of the condensation from forming, which is what causes problem for fondant.

trw3 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:18am
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrich

OK, so does that mean that I can't put fondant decorations on a cake that was iced in whipped cream?

I've heard that you're not supposed to refrigerate the fondant.
I'm making a stacked gifts cake for my sister's birthday and she doesn't really like butter cream icing so I was going to try the stabilzed whipped cream.
I also wanted to try to make the gift bows out of the marshmallow fondant.

Will these work together? How do I do that?

---- I realize this is an old post ..just wondering if you ever tried the fondant decorations on the whipped cream icing. I have a stabilized whipped cream icing on my cake and made small cherry blossom flowers to put on top. You think they'll bleed and melt? They are light pastel colors.

Any help would be great. -- tnx!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%