Argh!so Get This! First Dawn's Bc Is "too Sweet"

Decorating By llj68 Updated 29 Apr 2005 , 4:05pm by llj68

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 16

it's "not sweet enough". I'm telling you what! I'm just going to stick to the recipe as is and to heck with everyone!

Or course--the customer who told me it "needs to be sweeter" absolutely LOVES the "Kroger icing" and is sickeningly sweet.

I don't care! I LOVE Dawn's bc as is and that is what I'm using from now on. I'll stand by the old saying----you can't please everyone all the time.

If they like it, they will come back--if they don't, they won't. I'll just have to live with it.

Lisa

(Thanks for letting me vent!)

15 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

it's "not sweet enough". I'm telling you what! I'm just going to stick to the recipe as is and to heck with everyone!

Or course--the customer who told me it "needs to be sweeter" absolutely LOVES the "Kroger icing" and is sickeningly sweet.

I don't care! I LOVE Dawn's bc as is and that is what I'm using from now on. I'll stand by the old saying----you can't please everyone all the time.

If they like it, they will come back--if they don't, they won't. I'll just have to live with it.

Lisa

(Thanks for letting me vent!)

hey lisa!!
lol!! I LOVE dawns BC also!! it rocks!
I made a class cake on tuesday.. and i find myself going into the fridge and only picking at the icing lol. I like the tast soo much better than the old wilton one. it doesnt even compare!!
I say, stick with dawns too!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 16

thats for sure.... you cant please everyone... I would just go with the norm.....

brennafaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brennafaye Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 16

Where can I get her recipe for the buttercream icing? Also I tried to make a chocolate buttercream icing from the wilton recipes but it didn't have the right taste does anyone have any ideas for me?

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennafaye

Where can I get her recipe for the buttercream icing? Also I tried to make a chocolate buttercream icing from the wilton recipes but it didn't have the right taste does anyone have any ideas for me?

Right here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html
You can also use this to ice your cakes with...do not thin it down with water, it breaks down the icing, use milk instead. I have gotten compliments on this icing as well. So I have decided to make it my stock icing. To make chocolate buttercream, cali4dawn mixes one recipe of her chocolate ganache with one recipe of buttercream...mmmmmm that sounds just delish!

brennafaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brennafaye Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 16

Thank you mOuse, I will have to try that.

momof3jotynjake Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennafaye

Right here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html
You can also use this to ice your cakes with...do not thin it down with water, it breaks down the icing, use milk instead. I have gotten compliments on this icing as well. So I have decided to make it my stock icing. To make chocolate buttercream, cali4dawn mixes one recipe of her chocolate ganache with one recipe of buttercream...mmmmmm that sounds just delish!

Hi mouse!
Do you use dawns BC for all your decorating? even for roses,,, is it stiff enough for you?

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 16

You dont need to care. Everyone is different.
And that is their problem, not yours.
If you love the bc you are using, stick with it. That is allways best.

icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 16

I don't do roses, have not even tried yet, just a little chicken (and also lack of time) icon_redface.gif
But I have used it to decorate with I do love it, sometimes it starts to get a little soft if my hands get too warm, but I just stick my bag into the fridge or freezer for a little bit and I'm good to go.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 6:47am
post #10 of 16

That customer must be crazy! I have tried both icings. Krogers is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt! I love Dawn's BC. I have used it on my last 3 cakes and everyone totally loves it. I am going to be using it on my hubby's cake and the cake I am making for my son's school next week. You are right, you can't please everyone. And you are the decorator. Perhaps, in future, you could make batches of both and give the customers a small sampling of each so that they can choose which they like best. Just an idea!
Tanya

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:54am
post #11 of 16

the idea of buttercream icing samples is so cool !

llj68 Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 11:02am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

That customer must be crazy! I have tried both icings. Krogers is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt! I love Dawn's BC. I have used it on my last 3 cakes and everyone totally loves it. I am going to be using it on my hubby's cake and the cake I am making for my son's school next week. You are right, you can't please everyone. And you are the decorator. Perhaps, in future, you could make batches of both and give the customers a small sampling of each so that they can choose which they like best. Just an idea!
Tanya

Now that is a great idea! The funny thing is--Dawn's is SO much more expensive to make because of all the butter and I use Sweetex--it tastes so much more buttery and creamy. I love it--but you are right. The customer should get to decide. Since I know they both freeze well--I'll just freeze them into little "taster" sizes and let the people decide.

I should take a poll and see which one wins out more! lol!

Lisa

momof3jotynjake Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

Tanya

Now that is a great idea! The funny thing is--Dawn's is SO much more expensive to make because of all the butter and I use Sweetex--it tastes so much more buttery and creamy. I love it--but you are right. The customer should get to decide. Since I know they both freeze well--I'll just freeze them into little "taster" sizes and let the people decide.

I should take a poll and see which one wins out more! lol!

Lisa

what is sweetex and where do you get it?

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 16

Can anyone tell me how much Dawn's recipe yields??

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

llj68 Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 16

what is sweetex and where do you get it?[/quote]

Sweetex is a high-ratio shortening used in icings. I found out about it here. I know that you can buy it online, but I just went to my local cake shop and asked about it. They sell it for $2 per pound. So I bought a container and tried it out.

It makes the icing SO creamy and not at all "greasy". It's kind of hard to put a finger on exactly what it does--but it's SO much better. There is no coating on your teeth after eating the icing--if that makes any sense.

Lisa

llj68 Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 4:05pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePetunia

Can anyone tell me how much Dawn's recipe yields??

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

I never measured it out--but I doubled the batch in my 6.75 qt KA mixer and it maxed out the bowl. I had more than enough to ice and decorate a 1/2 sheet plus a dozen regular and a dozen mini cupcakes (also to give samples to my neighbors for taste testing!)

HTH!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%