Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By reenie Updated 20 Apr 2006 , 3:58am by reenie

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 19

Has anyone used it? If so, what's your oppinion on it?

18 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 19

I have used it a little. I thought it was pretty easy to work with. It definitley tastes better than the Wilton stuff.

Cindy

reenie Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 19

Is it comparable to the marshmellow fondant? I need it for a wedding cake.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 19

I love it.....Tastes like vanilla. Very easy to work with, just alittle costly I think

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 19

Love it, love it, love it. I buy it 40 lbs at a time for the best savings, which makes it ~ $2.50 per pound...cheaper than that crap Wilton calls fondant!. icon_smile.gif

I have made and used MMF before but enjoy not having the additional work of making it, nor liked fighting its natural elasticity. I found it sickly sweet as well.

reenie Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:53am
post #6 of 19

That is the problem I've had with the MMF in the past hence the question on Satin Ice. My MMF usually turns out somewhat on the dry side w/o much "stretch" to it. Like spottydog said the SI seems expensive... I just really need to know all I can before I jump in head first with the Satin Ice. So far I think I'm gonna go for it and see what she thinks.

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:57am
post #7 of 19

I just bought some Satin Ice today. I only bought 1 lb each of chocolate and vanilla. I just wanted to see how they tasted. I will probably try to use it on a very small maybe 6" cake to see how it turns out. I think the vanilla tasted really good, it reminded me a little of the taste of marshmallow fondant. The chocolate was good, not too sweet. To compare the taste to Wilton fondant, I would have to say, there is no comparison. The Satin Ice would win hands down. I will definitely buy more.

reenie Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:04am
post #8 of 19

This is great! I didn't think I would get such good feedback on this one... please, keep those comments coming.

heavenlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlycakes Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:09am
post #9 of 19

True it does seem to be on the expensive side, but most professional cake products/tools are. That's why you charge more money for fondant-covered cakes. Unless you have a very large cake, I've found that the smaller pale covers most cakes. But, buying the larger pale is more economical because you'll get more for your money.

Tara

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:15am
post #10 of 19

I'm a Satin Ice fan also~ have made and used MMF....but like SI waaaayyyyy better. Tastes better and is ready to use. I live fast. Well worth the convenience for me! My mixer will live longer because of it! LOL

cevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cevans Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:25am
post #11 of 19

I have never heard of Satin Ice. Where can you get it? I am in NC icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:28am
post #12 of 19

Another vote for Satin Ice. Keep in mind that you can roll it out much thinner than the Wilton and it still covers and handles nicely so you use almost 1/2 as much which helps justify the cost. The same amount goes further. Most of the cakes in my gallery are Satin Ice.

Debbie

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:28am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Love it, love it, love it. I buy it 40 lbs at a time for the best savings, which makes it ~ $2.50 per pound...cheaper than that crap Wilton calls fondant!. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlycakes

Unless you have a very large cake, I've found that the smaller pale covers most cakes. But, buying the larger pale is more economical because you'll get more for your money.

icon_confused.gificon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

Okay, this may be a stupid question, as I am very new to using fondant. But...How do you store the leftover fondant? I always thought that once you had opened the package of purchased fondant, you had to use it in a very short time or it would spoil. I have made MMF a few times, but if it can't be used in a few days, I end up just throwing it out. It seems like such a waste.

I wouldn't mind trying the SI, but I hate to have to throw away my investment, purchasing fondant is just so expensive if you only use a limited amount of it!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #14 of 19

IME, Satin Ice lasts a long time if stored properly ~ away from air! I just take out what I need from the pail, twist the plastic bag it comes in back down so there's no air on the fondant, and snap the lid of the pail back on.

I love your signature, gmcakes!!! icon_lol.gif

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 4:05am
post #15 of 19

I just tried Satin Ice, I perfer pettinice. It is cheeper and not as sticky, I found it easier to work with....

With that said, Satin Ice is much like MMF, so if that is what you are used to, you may like it as well.

I have heard great things about Fondx, but I have never used it icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:13am
post #16 of 19

I haven't tried Fondx but I did get pettinice once just to try it. It was easy enough to work with but I didn't find it to have much taste. Of course vanilla (SI) might not always go with your other flavors which makes the pettinice an option then. I don't find SI to be sticky.

SI is supposed to have a shelf life of one year. I purchased 2 of the 20 lb tubs for a wedding job and had found that I used so much left I only used one full tub for the entire wedding. I used the other tub for just over a year and it was as good after a year as it was when I purchased it. Like Cakepro said - just twist up the bag to squeeze the air out and snap the lid back on.

Debbie

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:38pm
post #17 of 19

Wow! That is a much longer shelf life than I would have expected! May seriously consider picking up a bucket next time I go to my regular cake shop!

thecakemaker Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:43pm
post #18 of 19

I wasn't expecting to have that much left over. When I ordered the SI I ordered a "little" extra considering Wilton's useage guide and ended up with rolling it thinner having a lot left over! I was surprised how long it lasted too - and it never dried out or changed in consistency or flavor either. I try different fondants now and then just to try them but have stuck with my tried and true. I love the taste of chocopan too (white chocolate) but found it very difficult to work with.

Good Luck!
Deb

reenie Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:58am
post #19 of 19

Again... so want to buy this stuff, especially if it lasts that long! And also becaause of its shelf life (which I didn't know about) no matter what I spend on it I'll have the chance to get that money back... Have a year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%