Looking For Tips On Dipping Cake Balls

Decorating By asmith Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 8:24pm by ShortcakesSweets

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 13

I just made my first batch of cake balls. I used a skewer to dip the balls in almond bark (had on hand), but ended up with an ugly hole when I took off the skewer. I did go back with a spoon and filled in the holes. Just wondering if there is a way to get a prettier finish on my cake balls? icon_rolleyes.gif

THX

12 replies
CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 13

I just made some cake balls too... but I have not dipped them yet... but I will do one of two things... use a toothpick or a spoon. You can use the toothpick just like the skewer... or you can use the spoon to roll it in the chocolate... or use 2 spoons so that you can use them like tongues... HTH icon_biggrin.gif

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 13

drizzle chocolate over the top....it covers up the filled in hole!! thumbs_up.gif

check out the cake ball pics in my photos. the drizzle covered up the hole from the toothpick i used!! can't even tell!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 13

Mine never stay around long enough to get dipped. I use them as the family's "tradeoff" for not being able to cut in to a decorated cake.

I love the look of the ones with a coordinating chocolate drizzled over them though. To save the grief, you could always put the "hole" on the bottom of your serving tray.

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the tips. I think next time I might add a liitle bit of oil to the almond bark. Now that I think about it, it seems that it was kind of thick when I dipped. That might make it easier!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 13

I freeze them and then dip them with a fork and a tong used for dipping.
I roll them around and then pick them up with both then tansfer to fork and then them drip for a few seconds then place them on freezer paper to dry.

LU

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:11am
post #7 of 13

I use the spiral dipping tool. You dip and the excess runs off then you gently roll the ball onto your wax paper.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #8 of 13

dogluvr

That's the name of the tool. I couldn't think of how to explain it, but that is the one I use!!! lol

Lu

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #9 of 13

I must try making some cake balls. Really sounds like my family would like them.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:47am
post #10 of 13

I always freeze anything that I am dipping! The product won't fall apart and the the coating hardens quickly! icon_smile.gif

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:19am
post #11 of 13

I just made my first cake balls too, except mine were not really balls. I added too much coffee mate to the cake and mine were more like...flat balls? Boy, those things are good though! The cake was french vanilla and I used the same coffee mate and swirled them with dark cho. Linda icon_smile.gif

nadjahs9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadjahs9 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 13

This has been mentioned on several other posts, but I thought to include it here for the benefit of those who have not seen them. I break off the middle tongs of a four-pronged plastic fork, then take the cake ball out of the chocolate using this fork. Tapping the fork handle on the side of the bowl gets rid of a lot of the excess chocolate, then you can set it down and slide the fork out. This avoids the big "foot" that's left when there is so much excess chocolate. Sometimes little chocolate "skis" remain from sliding the fork out, but they're very thin and break off much cleaner than the foot. Hope I've explained it clearly!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjahs9

This has been mentioned on several other posts, but I thought to include it here for the benefit of those who have not seen them. I break off the middle tongs of a four-pronged plastic fork, then take the cake ball out of the chocolate using this fork. Tapping the fork handle on the side of the bowl gets rid of a lot of the excess chocolate, then you can set it down and slide the fork out. This avoids the big "foot" that's left when there is so much excess chocolate. Sometimes little chocolate "skis" remain from sliding the fork out, but they're very thin and break off much cleaner than the foot. Hope I've explained it clearly!

This is exactly what I do. Works great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%