Decorating By SweetConfectionsChef Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 5:31pm by dryerson

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:12am
post #421 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

HAH! it isn't just us ---

even Wilton had to adapt their recipes

(note the red message at bottom of page!)

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/snow.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

Glad you posted this. I have intended to go to the Wilton website to see if they have mentioned it and I keep forgetting.

I am still relying on Walmart brand to get by. So far it has done well. I used my new "improved" Crisco to fry potatoes! icon_lol.gif

Diane

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:26am
post #422 of 479

Luckily one of the HEBs in my town still sells the big container of Crisco. I had been using the generic to substitute but still wasn't happy with it. When I found the original Crisco I couldn't believe how much better it was. I had forgotten.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:55am
post #423 of 479

I sent them an e-mail....suggested they sell Crisco in both original and Zero Trans Fat varieties, increased market share...yadda yadda yadda.

I wonder if anyone is noticing problems with the new Crisco in making pie crust (it's the only other thing I've ever used it for)

As for me, I took another CCer's suggestion to add cornstarch to a half butter, half Crisco recipe and it worked pretty well. It's not exactly hot weather proof, but it worked decently.

lionladydi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #424 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

I sent them an e-mail....suggested they sell Crisco in both original and Zero Trans Fat varieties, increased market share...yadda yadda yadda.

I wonder if anyone is noticing problems with the new Crisco in making pie crust (it's the only other thing I've ever used it for)

As for me, I took another CCer's suggestion to add cornstarch to a half butter, half Crisco recipe and it worked pretty well. It's not exactly hot weather proof, but it worked decently.

The Crisco people have made it very clear that they will not go back to adding trans fat to their product.

I have not used it in pie crust as I use old fashion lard (usually that I have rendered myself) for my pie crust but I have used it in my chocolate chip cookies and I do notice a little change but nothing as drastic as the icing.

Diane

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #425 of 479

So,
Are the manufacturers of Hi Ratio going to change their product also??
I would hate to start using a new product just to have it change down the road.
I sent them an email as well with a link to this thread. If they call me I will tell them that I am not going to wait around for the 'top dogs' to come up with a new idea. This is some of our livelyhoods and we cannot have that messed up by some corporate tyrants.

Do you think that we didn't realize it when they first changed it because it was still winter and cool out???

I have been decorating for almost 8 years and never have had icing slide off a cake until two weeks ago.

I am so glad I found this post. Cause I thought I had done something wrong too!!!

Diane, I know you said they have made it clear they won't make the trans fat version anymore, but I have to disagree. I think maybe if all the people who have trusted the old Crisco yell loud enough, they might change it or at least offer two types. They aren't required to REMOVE the trans fat...just list the quantity, I believe.

So, do you think we should all be contacting the FDA? Or should we try to find out how to buy our own Trans fat??

Thanks for this thread!!!
Leslie

lionladydi Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:33pm
post #426 of 479

Twenty nine pages into this thread and no one has had a satisfactory answer from Crisco that I know of. They kept saying they were working on it but to my knowledge they have not told any of the CC decorators that they would change anything. I saw on another thread where the Wilton people have changed their formula on their icing for instructors because of this "no trans fat Crisco".

I have been using generic store brand shortening with success as have several others. I hope that Crisco has seen a drastic drop in sales so they will realize that this is a huge problem for decorators. I just do about one cake a month and I am not trying to make a living doing this. I really feel sorry for those decorators that depend on this for their livelihood.

I am seriously considering selling all my decorating supplies and not doing cakes because of this. I'm sure the other shortenings will soon be without trans fat also.

JMO

Diane

missmersh Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:32pm
post #427 of 479

Hi Diane,
Please don't give up! Something will change because of this, I know it!!!
I don't think we here on CC are the only ones complaining to Crisco.
The New York BAN was only on restaurants and bakeries...not companies products. But I think these companies are trying to comply because they think it is only around the corner that they will have to remove it from their products. This is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16051436/

Here is an article about crisco:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/05/26/FDG6D6O3D91.DTL

The following is on Crisco's website under a faq section:
Can I use this product in my favorite classic Crisco recipes?
We tested a wide variety of classic Crisco recipesfried chicken, french fries, pie crust, chocolate chip and sugar cookies, scratch white cake and frostingand they all turned out with the same delicious results as our original shortening.

I guess you are right, Diane. It looks like there is no going back. Look at what our society has done to itself. All these ridiculous lawsuits and restaurants being sued by ignorant people have made it to where we are dictated on what we can and cannot have in our supermarkets.

Maybe it's a good thing Crisco changed their formula....otherwise some obese idiot would sue one of us for making them fat.

I think instead of them dictating what we can and can't eat, they should ban television and playstations and such and make people get up and get moving.

Sorry, I am just a little upset now.

Please forgive me for my rant!!!!!!!!! I didn't mean to go off topic.

Back to it....
I have been decreasing the amount of Crisco I use and it seemed to help a little. I have two cakes this weekend so we'll see how they turn out.
You know the summer months are REALLY the only months we are having to worry about. Once it gets cooler, the crisco will be easier to deal with.

I wonder if they could make a special crisco for the summer?? LOL

Hope I didn't upset you with my previous post. I just always try to think on the positive side and am still hopeful that they may change it back.
icon_redface.gif

lionladydi Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #428 of 479

Oh my goodness missmersh! In no way did you upset me. Crisco and this damn government that has to make sure I'm eating the right things are the ones that have upset me. I'm surprised that most all of my dad's family lived to be in their nineties eating all that bacon fat, etc.

When people started suing everyone because they weren't smart enough to control what they were doing, the trouble began. I have COPD but I would never think of suing the tobacco companies because I was stupid enough to think smoking was "cool". When they take out the trans fats, are they going to make these fast food places quit selling these burgers with a pound of beef and all that cheese on them?

I'm like you. They gripe and gripe about obesity (and I am obese) but they keep inventing more remotes and more video games and more reason for these kids to want to sit on their butts.

Okay. Now I have hijacked the thread but just wanted to get that out of my system.

I cannot understand how they think all that powdered sugar and shortening are going to be healthy for anyone to eat anyway! Good grief! It's not like people eat cake and icing every day of their life. A delicious birthday cake is nice once a year though. icon_lol.gif

I read both links that you included. I don't care what Crisco says.....I can tell a difference in my cookies. Don't use it in my pie crust. I'm really a bad girl icon_evil.gif I render lard and use it in my pie crust. I would like for them to prove to me that it doesn't make a difference in my icing.

I'll keep using the store brands and saving money. Crisco isn't the only shortening on earth.

Diane

missmersh Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #429 of 479

Thanks Diane, I agree with everything you said!!! icon_smile.gif

Do you think this would help any?

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=IN1050&c2p=cs

I am really contemplating getting the hi ratio now. But I may try using some meringue powder first. UGH!!! We'll see.

A friend at my local cake store was telling me there used to be a product out there called Stay-Ice and she said that helped with situations like this, but the only thing she knows of now is to add meringue powder.
I asked her if she had the Crisco problem too and she said that she only uses the ready made icing they sell in the store that they get from CK. Do you think CK uses hi ratio shortening in their icing???? I never liked the taste really of the ready made stuff. It tasted too almondy to me. I like almond, but only hints of it.

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:56am
post #430 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

I've been using the new Crisco a few weeks, and the only difference I've noticed are more air bubbles than normal. After I mix it in my KA, I mix it real well with my big rubber spatula and that seems to get rid of the bubbles....I've noticed no real difference in taste, smoothing or softness....all the same! Thank goodness!

Ive not had any problem with it either. Not sure why I havent and so many people have. Im actually glad they are taking trans fats out of foods. I avoid them as much as possible. Just makes it easier for me.

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:05am
post #431 of 479

I am just touching the surface of this post and am learning a lot. Thank you!

lionladydi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:16am
post #432 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmersh

Thanks Diane, I agree with everything you said!!! icon_smile.gif

Do you think this would help any?

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=IN1050&c2p=cs

I am really contemplating getting the hi ratio now. But I may try using some first. UGH!!! We'll see.

A friend at my local cake store was telling me there used to be a product out there called Stay-Ice and she said that helped with situations like this, but the only thing she knows of now is to add .
I asked her if she had the Crisco problem too and she said that she only uses the ready made icing they sell in the store that they get from CK. Do you think CK uses hi ratio shortening in their icing???? I never liked the taste really of the ready made stuff. It tasted too almondy to me. I like almond, but only hints of it.

Would you use the stabilizer in high ratio shortening? I have never used it before. I do use meringue powder in my icing when I am making roses but I don't use it to just make my icing for coating and trimming the cake.

I don't like the ready made icing either. I have always used less shortening than the Wilton recipe calls for.

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it and will think about ordering some.

Diane

missmersh Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:31am
post #433 of 479

Diane,
I don't think I would use meringue powder with the hi ratio shortening. I have heard and read so many good things about it and it really makes me want to buy some, I just don't want to become attached to it and then have this same issue arise later.

I have used meringue powder the same as you, for roses. Have you ever used the Snow white buttercream recipe on this website? I think it has meringue powder in it. I made that recipe one time and everyone raved over it. I didn't continue to use it because it calls for 12 cups sugar and it just threw me off every time. I like using the 2lb bags of sugar and I don't feel like making a mess and measuring a whole lot of sugar, so I just made the old standby Wilton decorator's recipe. I have been reducing the crisco to 1 3/4 cups, but I will further reduce it to 1 2/3 cup for this weekend. (This is my teacher's recipe that I used to use, but stopped cause my icing started getting too dry and cracking).
Hopefully one of us will be able to figure it out soon.
I just am afraid to have any more catastrophes due to this new product.

lionladydi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:28pm
post #434 of 479

I use 2# powdered sugar and 1 1/2 C shortening and just add my milk until it is the right consistency.

Diane

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #435 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I'll keep using the store brands and saving money. Crisco isn't the only shortening on earth.

It may not be, but would you like to lay bets as to whether or not Crisco sells it's product to the 'off' and store brands for marketing?

My guess is that they sold all of their trans fat shortening to those markets in order to be the first to come out with the ZTF Crisco. As soon as those other companies run out, they too will become ZTF.

Kind of like how Kraft sells their mac&cheese to Kroger to be put in a store-brand box.

The other thing I noticed is from the new Wilton recipe - I've been using their standard recipe for years now. Basic recipe is to add the shortening and sugar together, incorporating the liquid as necessary to achieve the correct consistancy for your needs.

The new recipe (for snow-white BC) calls for first whipping the meringue powder and water, add some sugar, add rest of sugar, shortening, H2O, and corn syrup, then finally add salt and flavorings.

I'll be interested to see how this BC holds up to the old way.

missmersh Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #436 of 479

I bought some great value(walmart brand) shortening yesterday. It still has the trans fat in it. I have not had icing creamier or smoother is sooooo long. It didn't seem to taste any different. I couldn't really tell if it felt greasy or not. The regular crisco seemed greasy to me, so I wouldn't be a good judge in that department. But it smoothed perfectly!!! I have ordered some hi ratio, but I think as long as the great value brand continues to have trans fat in it, I will keep using it.

So, I guess I will have to start writing walmart and try to persuade them to keep thier shortening AS IS.

lionladydi Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:06am
post #437 of 479

Great Value is what I have been using also. Works great for me!

Diane

Mahzooka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mahzooka Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #438 of 479

I just iced 2 cakes with the 1/2 butter 1/2 (new) crisco and was SOOO mad! It was so oily and greasy as compared to my icings with the (old) crisco. It seemed like it also spread thinner and cracked easier - it was a mess. I just got back from my local grocery store and took all of the old crisco they had left - I was digging on the bottom shelf all the way in the back!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #439 of 479

I have to tell you all, high ratio is the way to go! I recently switched to Alpine and love it.

I've done a side by side comparison with the Old Crisco, new Crisco, store brand shortenings, and there is absolutely no comparison. I have gotten so many more rave reviews on my frosting.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #440 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzooka

I just iced 2 cakes with the 1/2 butter 1/2 (new) crisco and was SOOO mad! It was so oily and greasy as compared to my icings with the (old) crisco. It seemed like it also spread thinner and cracked easier - it was a mess. I just got back from my local grocery store and took all of the old crisco they had left - I was digging on the bottom shelf all the way in the back!

just make sure you actually check the nutrition labels. Crisco packaged the new formula in the old containers that now have the green flag on it saying there's no trans fat. I believe the old Crisco had 1.5 trans fat.

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #441 of 479

Since I'm sitting here with a broken foot and MUST rest it anyway (which = hang out at CC all day haha!), I've read ALL of this thread today... here's some basic info...

1) Modified recipes were tested and posted on pages 13 and 16 by dedicated and determined cakemakers here. Wilton has also modified their website recipes.

2) I still am wondering what exactly IS high-ratio shortening. Ratios are about proportions... what is different with this product? What-to-what is different?

3) Nobody has answered the many asking if "high-ratio" shortening still has the trans-fats. Anybody out there know?

4) I'm MOST curious to learn what pie-makers are finding with the new Crisco. I always used it in my crusts... naturally, I'd love to use YOUR successful mods rather than experiment myself lol.

Thanks, JP

missmersh Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #442 of 479

Hi Janet,
I am not sure how it would effect pie crust. Crisco said it tested it on pie crust and the results were "cracker like". I don't make crust often, but if I do, I use butter. So, I can't help you.

I don't think the REAL issue is with flavor or the air bubbles. Air bubbles can be smoothed out. The flavor has remained the same. The issue (well at least for me) is the melting factor.

I know you mentioned that Wilton altered their recipe and also some dedicated CC members. My problem is, I live in the deep south (well, the mid south) and this week we have had temperatures in the 100's all week. I don't think Wilton altered their recipe to fix the melting factor. The original Crisco had a melting point of 98 degrees. I have not found any information on what this new crisco is.
I think the main thing that trans fat does is keep the solidity of the crisco. I don't think Meringue powder or any other stabilizer will be able to keep the crisco from melting. But maybe I am wrong. I am not a scientist and have not taken any culinary courses to know how to resolve this.

Not really sure what hi ratio is either, but I have heard that it is wonderful and hopefully since it is not used "mainstream" that the companies that manufacture it will not feel compelled to alter the formula.

lionladydi Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #443 of 479

I just emailed the chef that answers questions about cooking in the Springfield newspaper. I asked about the high ratio shortening so I will let you know if he answers my question. I also sent him a link to this thread.

I used the last of my wonderful new trans fat free Crisco in cookies I donated to the senior center fish fry last night. I don't plan on ever buying Crisco again.

Diane

missmersh Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:10am
post #444 of 479

Diane,

I am anxious to hear what he has to say.
Sorry all your new Crisco is gone. LOL!!!!! icon_smile.gif I know you must be devastated.
I will never buy it again either.

My cake today turned out good. My icing didn't sweat like it usually does with Crisco. I used the GV brand again. So far, I am happy with the GV shortening. Does the GV brand come in the 6lb tub in your area? At my Walmart, it only comes in the smaller tub. It doesn't really matter. I just prefer to buy the larger one so I won't have to buy it as often.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Oh and Crisco has not called me regarding my email. I am sure they have been flooded and have given up calling everyone back. ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Leslie

lionladydi Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:11pm
post #445 of 479

It might take Chef Lou a while to answer me but he has always answered me. I emailed him when he first went to work writing the column for the paper. I was trying to make whole wheat bread and could not get it to turn out. We sent emails back and forth for two weeks. By the way, I still can't get wheat bread to turn out like I want.

No, GV shortening doesn't come in the 6 lb. cans.

Diane

missmersh Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:56am
post #446 of 479

Maybe he will surprise you! icon_smile.gif
Sorry you cannot get your wheat bread to turn out right. I bet it's delicious though!! I have never been a bread baker. I guess I just get turned off by having to let the dough rise. If I could mix it up and pop it in the oven, I might like to attempt it more often. Also with pie crust. It just seems like a real pain to me. I have tried it several times and just get frustrated. Maybe I need a little more patience.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm
post #447 of 479

Wow.. I don't have time to read through all 30ish pages of posts, but I wanted to comment on something from the beginning of this thread.

Yes, it would be great if "THEY" let us choose what we put into our body.. but then "THEY" would be subject to more and more lawsuits.

"We" had the right to choose what we put in our bodies... but then someone sued over hot coffee *she* dropped in her lap... others have sued for other choices *they* made. As society became more and more fond of frivoloous lawsuits, "THEY" had to start covering their butts. Looking at the big picture, I hate to say this - I TOTALLY understand why trans fats are being removed from a lot of foods. I understand why choice is slowly being removed.

lionladydi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #448 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Wow.. I don't have time to read through all 30ish pages of posts, but I wanted to comment on something from the beginning of this thread.

Yes, it would be great if "THEY" let us choose what we put into our body.. but then "THEY" would be subject to more and more lawsuits.

"We" had the right to choose what we put in our bodies... but then someone sued over hot coffee *she* dropped in her lap... others have sued for other choices *they* made. As society became more and more fond of frivoloous lawsuits, "THEY" had to start covering their butts. Looking at the big picture, I hate to say this - I TOTALLY understand why trans fats are being removed from a lot of foods. I understand why choice is slowly being removed.

Should you take the time to read the 30ish pages of posts you would maybe understand a little better what "WE" are going through with our icing because "THEY" eliminated trans fat.

I totally understand what you are saying about the lawsuits. I even commented on it in one of these posts but the fact still remains that "WE" are having problems and are trying to figure out how to rectify the situation.

Diane

lionladydi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #449 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmersh

Maybe he will surprise you! icon_smile.gif
Sorry you cannot get your wheat bread to turn out right. I bet it's delicious though!! I have never been a bread baker. I guess I just get turned off by having to let the dough rise. If I could mix it up and pop it in the oven, I might like to attempt it more often. Also with pie crust. It just seems like a real pain to me. I have tried it several times and just get frustrated. Maybe I need a little more patience.

Love making bread. Just can't get the wheat thing down pat. It is always to heavy and dense for me and I have tried different recipes. As for pie crusts, I don't really like making them either. I have the best luck using lard--another ingredient that is bad for us. icon_lol.gif

Diane

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:42pm
post #450 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Should you take the time to read the 30ish pages of posts you would maybe understand a little better what "WE" are going through with our icing because "THEY" eliminated trans fat.

I totally understand what you are saying about the lawsuits. I even commented on it in one of these posts but the fact still remains that "WE" are having problems and are trying to figure out how to rectify the situation.

Diane

Well, like I'd mentioned.. I was SPECIFICALLY addressing the ranting about "not being able to choose what we do". I know exactly what we're all going through with the icing problems, I was merely commenting on the statements mentioned.

Not sure why that required such a snippy response, but sorry if I offended you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%