Which Extruder?

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm by Cakepro

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 36

I looked on ebay and tried looking a couple of other places, but I'm still not sure about what type of extruder to get! I use fondant a lot and would love one of these! I saw the thread about using a Play-doh fun factory, but I looked at those and they don't make all the shapes I want, so I figure I would just end up buying an extruder anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

Any advice?

35 replies
2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 36

I would definatly go with the sugarcraft gun. It is about $30.00 but it is made for fondant and it will last. I purchased a clay extruder a while ago brought it home and looked at then took it back to the store. It just didn't seem like it would last long, plus it had a twist handle on it, that wasn't going to work. The sugarcraft gun is really easy to use and it comes with 16 different discs. I got mine from sugarcraft.com I looked all over the internet and that was the cheapest I could find it with shipping. I think I paid somewhere around $40 with shipping.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 36

You are not going to believe this, but I just purchased one on line from Beryls.com... Link below!

Don't buy the ones on Ebay... They are hard enough on your hands using clay... I don't know how many I purchased and threw away!

The one at Beryls.com is a hand action one... just squeeze it in your hand and it spits out the fondant... I sure hope it comes with directions.

Not sure of the shipping yet, but I paid $35.00... I know I paid that much in all the other clay guns I bought... I belive it will be well worth the investment!

Good Luck!

http://www.beryls.com/home2.htm

page down a bit... you'll see the picture!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 36

I just got mine from sugarcraft.com for about $35.00 a couple weeks back. I used it once and love it. It was so easy to use.

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 36

I just got mine from Beryls.com and it is great. I think I paid $6.50 for shipping, so I wouldn't think it would be much more than that for you.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 36

I also got mine from Beryls and I love it. Just add a little crisco to the fondant to soften it so it will go through the gun easier.

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 36

If you make a lot of fondant ropes, I would suggest a Kemper clay gun, has a large capacity to make an unbroken rope to go around whole border, plus operates like a caulking gun so soft on the hands. I've seen them on ebay.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 36

Those little bitty metal Kemper ones are impossible to use! My next "toy" is going to be the Sugarcraft one.

I saw Duff using a huge one to make a Yak cake... anyone know what he used?

redred Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 36

My bad, I didn't know Kemper make small ones.
This is the type I was referring to -
http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=10&cid=190&scid=1242
As you can see, they are big mommas.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by redred

My bad, I didn't know Kemper make small ones.
This is the type I was referring to -
http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=10&cid=190&scid=1242
As you can see, they are big mommas.

Ohhhhhhhhh cool! Can you get discs to make like hair or something?

redred Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 36

By the way, check out this nify adapter!
EZ Squeeze Adapter Clay Extruder Gun (you need to scroll down a bit to see it)
http://www.baileypottery.com/potterytools/kempertools.htm

Kitagrl Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 36

That's cool!

So how would you make a "custom die"? I have no clue about metalworking....

redred Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:01pm
post #13 of 36

Kitagrl, the adapter I mentioned above could be used with the smaller (cheaper) clay extruder which does have hair discs. The larger ones I think only do a larger rope, for borders and the like. If you are just making hair to use as hair, you don't need a lot of it and wouldn't need any adapter, just the small extruder like this type which is widely available - Michaels etc.
http://prairiecraft.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/claygun2.jpg
or the sugarcraft gun which I've not used but others have mentioned above, which costs a bit more, but is I believe easier on the hands. I found that mixing fondant with some gumpaste, plus greasing the sides with shortening, makes it easier to extrude.

redred Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

That's cool!

Me neither! But I suppose if you had a electric drill you could drill the size of the hole/s required.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by redred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

That's cool!

Me neither! But I suppose if you had a electric drill you could drill the size of the hole/s required.

True...

I just was dying to find out what kind of extruder Duff used when he made a HUGE furry animal totally using fondant "hair". He was pumping it out of a very large extruder. Maybe he had made a custom disc for the large one.

Renaejrk Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:52am
post #16 of 36

I can't decide what I want! I wish I could just buy all of them and try them out! I haven't done any paid cakes, not that I would be against doing a few! I would love to make ribbon out of fondant easier than trying to "cut" it myself, which I did on my last big cake - it needed to be long, to go around a 1/2 sheet cake, but I had to have seams!

It seems like there are several good options, I'll have to look into each of them more closely before I decide I guess!! I would like one that's not hard on my hands, has a decent capacity, and can do many different shapes! (I'm so stinkin picky!)

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 36

I think Duff goes to home depot or lowe's for some of this tools. I love how he has a little work shop in his bakery full of power tools to use.

If I am not mistaken, I think the extruder he had was a chalk gun.

My DH better watch out... his power tools are going to be converted to baking tools if he doesn't start using them!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:38pm
post #18 of 36

Don't forget you can always put your fondant in the microwave for a few seconds at a time to soften it and make it easier to go through the clay gun.

BTW, I have the one from sugarcraft.com and LOOOOOOVE it!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:58pm
post #19 of 36

I have the sugarcraft gun that I purchased online from Jane Ashter in the UK. While I do like it, it doesn't hold much fondant/gumpaste, so it has to refilled fairly often. I'm pretty sure I paid about $29 USD for it.

I just ordered (this past week) another one that is larger. It's a clay extruder similar to Duff's but not as large. http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm It's the medium one and with shipping it came to about $27.

I can't wait to try it. The only downside is that there are only three pre-cut discs (and one blank). Soon I'll ask my DH to drill the blank one for hair/fur. I'd do it myself, but I hate the noise - it gives me a headache.

redred Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 9:14pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

I just ordered (this past week) another one that is larger. It's a clay extruder similar to Duff's but not as large. http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm It's the medium one and with shipping it came to about $27.

Sugar Plum Fairy, that extruder looks terrific, and such a bargain compared to the small sugarcraft guns. Let us know how you go with it!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:58am
post #21 of 36

I'll be trying it out this week so I'll let you know.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:14am
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

I have the sugarcraft gun that I purchased online from Jane Ashter in the UK. While I do like it, it doesn't hold much fondant/gumpaste, so it has to refilled fairly often. I'm pretty sure I paid about $29 USD for it.

I can't wait to try it. The only downside is that there are only three pre-cut discs (and one blank). Soon I'll ask my DH to drill the blank one for hair/fur. I'd do it myself, but I hate the noise - it gives me a headache.

I decided to order this as well! I also added a small second set of discs so I could have a wider rope and also an extra plain disc might not be bad.

I just ordered today and put a little note in Paypal that I'd LOVE to have it by Friday but did not see any sort of expedited shipping available...but that I understood that it is last minute.

They didn't write back but within a few hours I got a FedEx notice and the estimated delivery date is Friday! So if that follows through, this place has excellent customer service....

Can't wait! Friday I have to do another LV purse and it will be nice to be able to pump out the little round edges without killing my hand on my tiny one. I'd love to have had a large round hole to make the handles but gotta get that done tonight.... so off I go...

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:46am
post #23 of 36

Kitagirl, that's great. I'm hoping to use mine tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I can't wait to try it. I have another gumpaste tiara to do and think this will make it much easier with longer pieces.

Let me know how it works for you on Friday. Good luck.

Renaejrk Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:16am
post #24 of 36

Hey - if any of you have tried yours out yet - please post!! I want to order one soon and would like more opinions on the different ones you have purchased icon_smile.gif ! These things are soooo cool!! thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:25am
post #25 of 36

I realized that the dies I needed for the extruder to make my 2nd gumpaste tiara were for the small extruder and I hadn't planned yet on how to adapt them to the larger one. So I still haven't used the larger one yet. Sorry.

I want to figure out a way to be able to make some sort of adapter so that I can use the dies interchangeably.

Renaejrk Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #26 of 36

That would be nice! I looked at the Kemper large model, but the dies are mainly for "ropes" and "ribbon" , not much variety on shapes - I was hoping for more - I wonder if another large extruder would have dies that would work on this one?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:48am
post #27 of 36

There are definitely other dies for the medium extruder I got, just not the same variety as the smaller one. I'm sure my DH and I can figure something out. I just have to find the time to show him. Or more realistically, find a day when he has time.

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:17am
post #28 of 36

Do these extruders work with MMF? I'm guessing it's more stiff than other fondants might be.

Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:01pm
post #29 of 36

I tried mine! It still takes some muscle to press out but then I may not have worked my fondant soft enough. But its nice to be able to get a LONG unbroken piece of fondant.

I had also ordered a second set of dies with it and so the two spares I am giving to a friend for him to drill for me... I am going to get one with three semi small holes and one with like six very small holes. Pretty much all I ever need from an extruder is round snakes of various sizes so that is fine. I had to use my old tiny one for my purse cake this weekend and even my husband was shaking and turning red trying to get my final tiny "snake" out of that thing. haha.

I will say that "Clay King" has excellent service in that I ordered from them on a Wednesday and I had my gun on Friday! Really fast shipping.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:44pm
post #30 of 36

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you, kitagirl. I want my hubby to make about two trefoil dies for me and also the adapter. I love making the twisted rope design from the trefoil instead of using two pieces or three for braiding, if I don't have to (and if I don't need two colors). icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%