Fondant Help?

Decorating By anneshab93 Updated 14 Apr 2007 , 5:45pm by NewbeeBaker

anneshab93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anneshab93 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 3

i tried my first cake with fondant a couple weeks ago and it looked great and i loved working with it. the only problem was...it tasted pretty disgusting. i dont know what was wrong, and i thought maybe i was supposed to flavor it with vanilla or something? can anybody help me out? my friends birthday is next week and i'd really like to make a beautiful cake but i'm hesitating since the fondant last time tasted so bad...

2 replies
SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 3

What type of fondant did you use? Many new beginners start with the Wilton fondant and it is easy to work with but it's disgusting!!!! No amount of flavoring will help it. If that's not what you used, then I would suggest trying a different brand. They sell satin ice here on CC and your local cake supply store might have other brands available.

I make my own fondant - mmf (marshmallow fondant). There is a great recipe in the forums on how to make it and use it. It's got a nice flavor and I seem to get a lot of compliments on it.

But, there are some people that no matter what will hate fondant no matter what - so just tell them to peel it off and eat the bc below.

Good luck.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 3

I love MMF and this is the recipe I use...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2137-Marshmallow-Fondant.html

I substitute some of the water with extracts(vanilla, almond, butter, etc.). Also, if you use this recipe, make sure to get the 16oz bag of marshmallows...most are sold in 10oz. If you get the 10oz bag, just adjust for it. One last thing, I do not use all of the powdered sugar it calls for. That is just a guideline. So just add as much p.sugar you need to get the right consistency=) I had recently brought a fully MMF covered cake to my family get together for Easter, and they all loved it...even eating all of the MMF on their piece of cake! So if you haven't tried MMF, I would recommend it=) HTH some, Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%