Stacking Cakes

Decorating By chixbaby27 Updated 29 Apr 2005 , 1:12pm by peacockplace

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 28

Can you stack an 8" cake (single 3" layer) on top of a 10" without using supports? I've never stacked a cake before, and am doing one for a baby shower tomorrow.

27 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 28

You probably could, but I wouldn't recomend it, especially if you have to transport it! Better to be safe than sorry. thumbs_up.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 28

I have done it no problem it is like making a 3 layer cake

but to be sure use the dowels or straws under a cake board

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 28

My wilton instructor gave us the tip to use McDonald's straws because they are so wide and strong, so that is what I use. However, I still almost always end up crooked....but you can't get much cheaper than free straws from Mc D's!!!!!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:28am
post #5 of 28

^5 free is always my favor-ate price!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:36am
post #6 of 28

You probably can--and I have--but since it's for a shower, I would really hesitate NOT to use dowels.

The last thing you want to happen is to show up at the shower with a "stacked" cake that looks like the leaning tower of pizzia or has otherwise slipped apart.

If you decide not to dowel it (either with straws or dowels), then you better make sure that you hold the cake in the car to counter-balance it against the movement of the vehicle (can you tell I've done this before?)

Also--if you are using any figurines of any weight whatsoever, I would definately dowel it. I've had a disaster or two because of that very thing.

Good luck!

Lisa

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 28

After having a stacked cake disasters for a baby shower, I would definetly recommend doweling in some way shape or form.

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 28

Thanks everyone!

We did both layers at home last night, transported them separately to my office. (The shower is being held at my sister's office next door.) We're going to put it together (using McDonald's straws! icon_lol.gif ) and just walk it next door.

Wish me luck...it's the first time I've stacked a cake!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 28

ok, call me nuts! but i just dont get the whole dowel thing.. are those the wooden rods? where do you put them? down the center of the cake?

zoozieqv Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 28

cool, can't wait to see it....post it for us!!!
Suzanna

zoozieqv Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 28

dowels are the wooden rods and you can put them down the center but, if you are stacking cakes you put the tiers on cardboard or something and then push in the dowels or straws in and you have to cut them to the desired length. Usually you put in four in the base cake and then rest the top cake on top. The problem with wooden dowels is cutting them can be a pain....straws cut much easier.

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 28

I would definately use dowels. Especially if you have to deliver it

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 28

Another question about stacking.

Do you stack cakes that are 2" wider than the other? Or do you stack 4" wider?

For example, will a stacked cake look correct with 6",8", and 10"? Or should it be 6", 10", and 14"?

peacockplace Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 28

Either will work depending on how many you want to feed. At least 2" diffrence is usually the rule. thumbs_up.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 28

Great. Thanks peacockplace!

zoozieqv Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 28

Yeah, but I think the 4" look better!! But you do need to go with how many you need to feed!
Suzanna

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 28

It doesn't matter what size you use AgentCakeBaker. It's up to you what size cakes you want. I usually do my cakes 2" to 4" larger in size. I did a Fire Dept cake that was 12, 14, 16 pans. To me the cake looked too fat. The wedding cake I just did was 8, 12, 16. I think it just depends on you. What you like. It does matter if you use dowels & cake boards underneath. I would always use them.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 28

Either would work but I prefer the 6, 10 and 14. It gives more room for borders and gives more definition to each tier. I think doweling is a must..better safe than sorry!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 28

Thanks everyone!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoozieqv

dowels are the wooden rods and you can put them down the center but, if you are stacking cakes you put the tiers on cardboard or something and then push in the dowels or straws in and you have to cut them to the desired length. Usually you put in four in the base cake and then rest the top cake on top. The problem with wooden dowels is cutting them can be a pain....straws cut much easier.

so, the straws go into the bottom cake rigth? you push them in in 4 places? and thats it? they dont have to be pushed into something at the bottom of the cake? then you place your next cake on that... and put more straws?

after you put in the straws.. then do you ice your cake?

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:44pm
post #21 of 28

icon_wink.gif When I put the dowel rods in the cakes I am going to stack I use a small branch cutter thingy. It cuts easily. You can get them almost anywhere for a small price. I found for me that using straws, they didn't hold up well after I stacked a cake. The cake shifted some and looked like a crooked cake. thumbs_up.gif

zoozieqv Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 28

yes, mom of three, that is the idea. I might try wooden dowels....if I do, I will definitely buy some of those cutter things.....
icon_wink.gif Suzanna

AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 6:24pm
post #23 of 28

Are you guys referring to cutting shears to cut the dowels?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 8:30pm
post #24 of 28

Yep...pruning sheers from the hardware store!

Fruitloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fruitloop Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 8:38pm
post #25 of 28

The wedding cakes we did at the bakery were iced before we put the doweling in.I would imagine you could do it before you ice it but then you don't really have any icing on the top of the bottom layer when you serve it.

zoozieqv Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:00am
post #26 of 28

Yeah, I would ice it first!

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:07am
post #27 of 28

Yes, I would definitely use the wooden dowel rods. I was at a wedding once, and the tiered wedding cake had straws in it for support. Needless to say, with that much weight, it was slowly sinking sideways. I guess if it's a really small tiered cake you could use straws, but I with the "rather safe than sorry" group.

peacockplace Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 1:12pm
post #28 of 28

Has anyone made a 3" gap cake?? Like 15,12,9,6 I have a cake coming up and I think I'll be using those sizes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%