How Did I Do? My First Gumpaste Flowers!

Decorating By Euphoriabakery Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 5:22am by Jeff_Arnett

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:27am
post #1 of 27

So Here is a pic of teh cake I made today for my sister. She loves Gardenias, so I attempted to make them out of gumpaste. These are my first gumpaste flowers so any advice would be appreciated! And also my first time doing any freehand embroidery. What do you guys think? Any comments good or bad will be appreciated!
LL
LL
LL

26 replies
lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:33am
post #2 of 27

very pretty! i'm still trying to get the gumpaste thin enough to even make flowers icon_redface.gif . i really like the leaves a lot, did you make those too? they look very very real.

Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:52am
post #3 of 27

Thanks! Yes the leaves are gumpaste as well.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #4 of 27

Very pretty. Hard to believe it's your first time making them. I also like your freehand embroidery. I've been afraid icon_cry.gif to try either of them. I have actually been eyeing my can of gumpaste but am trying to work up my nerve to even attempt a simple flower.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:13am
post #5 of 27

I think your gardenias turned out beautiful!! Practice makes perfect your flowers will only get more beautiful. I am impressed! Great job!

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:32am
post #6 of 27

Are you sure this was your first time because your gardenias look great.well done thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:40am
post #7 of 27

Yes, definitely my first. I just learned fondant roses recently, but have only started with gumpaste this past week! My girls went to visit their grammy who was on spring break, so I had lots of free time! I attempted tulips too, but haven't quite finished those! I haven't quite got the hang of getting florist wires wrapped and inserted into the flowers! If I ever get tehm done I will post them!

thanks for all the compliments!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:43am
post #8 of 27

Wow, very pretty!

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:44am
post #9 of 27

THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!! GREAT JOB thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

krzz18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzz18 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 4:42am
post #10 of 27

ive actually spelled birthday wrong b4 2!

SANDRAAMADOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANDRAAMADOR Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 4:44am
post #11 of 27

they are just beautiful

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 5:55am
post #12 of 27

Beautiful Job. I tried to make gumpaste roses once. It made me crazy. Haven't tried it since. Your are beautiful. You give me HOPE. icon_smile.gif

Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 6:13am
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDRAAMADOR

they are just beautiful

Oh Crap!! Guess I need to go try and squeeze that H in!!! Thanks for pointing it out. Luckily no one will see the cake until tomorrow!

Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 6:44am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzz18

ive actually spelled birthday wrong b4 2!

oops quoted the wrong person, seems I am having some issues tonight! Okay, well it's not perfect but at least it's spelled right now!
LL

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 10:06am
post #15 of 27

Wow! Great flowers, Euphoria! Hard to believe these are your first. thumbs_up.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 12:08pm
post #16 of 27

Euphoriabakery - Gardenias are one of my favorites, too and those certanly do look like gardenias to me! Nice job.

lasidus1 - the next time you try gumpaste, give Tylose a try. It makes a much stretchier, stronger paste that can be rolled really, really thin. And the finished flowers are like concrete. Recipe is on Nicholas Lodge's website. They sell the powder, too...but lots of other places do as well. Good luck!

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 27

Your flowers are beautiful. They look like they are real. You give my hope that with a lot more practice I will be able to make something that looks like that.

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 1:58pm
post #18 of 27

very pretty. I have not tried this yet, but after looking at your first ones I think I will. Hope mine turn out hald as lovely. Keep up the good work!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:01pm
post #19 of 27

Beautiful roses!! They came out great!

LOL, I've spelled birthday wrong before too!

crimsicle- can you add tylose to ready made gumpaste?

Courtney

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 1:08am
post #20 of 27

I suspect you can. I know you can add it to fondant. I haven't a clue about the quantities, though. I just love the stuff....wish I could find a big jar of it, but no luck so far.

DIAELI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DIAELI Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 11:02pm
post #21 of 27

what a pretty cake, loved your gardenia's

icon_smile.gif
Diane

jennsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennsmom Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 11:28pm
post #22 of 27

Beautiful gardenias. Good Job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Beth

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 1:26am
post #23 of 27

I love your roses---I still stuggle with roses. Great job!!!! thumbs_up.gif

dornosfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dornosfam Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:02am
post #24 of 27

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to make gumpaste gardenias?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:00pm
post #25 of 27

Hi
There is a thread on making gumpaste gardenias. You will find written instructions on page 3, and finished flower photo on page 4.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=454873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

Hope this helps.

Jan

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #26 of 27

Hi, I think you did a wonderful job as well.
To those who have not given flowers a go, do try, once you got one flower its not hard to do others. I did a short course in flower making. I came home and got my husband to take a video of me going step by step through the making of that flower for future reference. I put a finished flower in a ziplock bag with the cutters and the instructions, so glad I went to that trouble as years later I could come back to that flower and make it no problem.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:22am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

So Here is a pic of teh cake I made today for my sister. She loves Gardenias, so I attempted to make them out of gumpaste. These are my first gumpaste flowers so any advice would be appreciated! And also my first time doing any freehand embroidery. What do you guys think? Any comments good or bad will be appreciated!

Your flowes turned out nice....I remember my first ones many years ago...my roses looked more like cabbages!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%