My Cake Falls Apart When I Cut It

Decorating By ceci Updated 27 Apr 2005 , 4:20pm by zoozieqv

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 12:23am
post #1 of 13

Help !!!!does anybody know why everytime I make my cakes and fill them when it's time to cut the cake it falls in half what am i doing wrong?????
the top part comes off it drives me crazy icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

12 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 12:39am
post #2 of 13

I am not sure what you mean. can you explain more?

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:00am
post #3 of 13

are you saying that the top layer slides off of the bottom layer?

ceci Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:58am
post #4 of 13

yes the top layer slides opff the bottom.

pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:15am
post #5 of 13

you might be putting too much filling in between the layers. Try cuting maybe 3 layers of cake with 2 layers of less filling. or even just lessen the amount of filling you are using. Make sure you have a sharp knife also. Hope that helps!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:17am
post #6 of 13

Are you leveling the cake layers so that they are flat?

Sorry, forgot to sign my name! Janice

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:21am
post #7 of 13

Also, if using buttercream as your filling, it should be medium consistency, as opposed to thin consistency.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:21am
post #8 of 13

I was thinking too that maybe the filling (is it buttercream you're using?) is too stiff or has crusted so when you put the top layer on, it never really sticks.

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:27am
post #9 of 13

I had this problem when I used pudding as a filling. Top slid right off...so maybe you are using a slippery filling?? All the other fillings that I use I mix with a little buttercream so I don't have a problem.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:42am
post #10 of 13

Are you making a dam of BC icing around the edge prior to using the filling? Could be too much filling or if no dam, then it will slide apart. The dam should hold both layers together nicely if you don't use too much filling.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 12:23pm
post #11 of 13

That's an interesting one. Perhaps try setting your filling by chilling it after putting it in and putting the top layer on, but before trying to DO a crumb coat or icing it.

Also, make sure you level the bottom layer, because the one I didn't level split in half about a half hour after finishing the basketweave. The icing was too heavy on the sides and pulled it apart because I was counting on the filling to hold it up since I thought it was nearly level. That post and photos are in Cake Disasters Forum called "Earthquake Cake".

Hugs,
AngelWendy

ceci Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 13

the cake that always falls apart on me is when I fill it with Caramel it is pretty runnybut you would think that it sticks good since caramel is sticky, but maybe making the dam will help I've never done that. thank you sooo much everyone!!!!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 13

Let us know what you try that works!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%