Need A New Buttercream Recipe!

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 3:31am by smbegg

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 11

I've been using the wilton recipe for buttercream which crusts nicely, BUT, I can't seem to get a thin coat onto my cakes without them tearing. There is no crumb coat in my book with any buttercream unless I thin it down and then it doesn't crust. Is there a happy medium?
BTW on the food network challenges, when they frost a cake it looks almost like whipped cream. It looks so nice and fluffy and easy to work with, mine always seems too dense, even if I beat it on high
Any suggestions????

10 replies
rnrcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnrcakes Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 11

Duff's Recipe for French Buttercream
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32891,00.html?rsrc=search

Kim Morrison's Real Vanilla Buttercream
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30215,00.html?rsrc=search

I use recipes like these...they don't crust, but if you put them in the fridge they chill nicely so you can smooth it out.

HTH

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 11

The high-profile cake decorators almost all use French or meringue buttercreams. These are not made with powdered sugar, but are made with granulated sugar that is cooked into a syrup and either whole eggs, egg yolks or egg white...and lots of butter!

mrsjah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsjah Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 11

Hi everyone!! I have just looked at the buttercream forstings, I like the french vanilla. I was wandering if when they say surgar are they useing reg. surgar or powder surgar? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

rnrcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnrcakes Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 11

Regular granulated. They are both really tasty!! Not overly sweet

HollyPJ Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 11

Be warned, though, these icings do not "crust"

However, they smooth beautifully. You can decorate with them, too, including making flowers.

ladybuglau Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 11

hmmm, very interesting, I guess I was associating crusting=staying firm enough to decorate with.
And, I was beginning to get sick of powdered sugar buttercream anyway, that sweetness is delicious only for so long before you start to hate it icon_lol.gif

HollyPJ Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 11

Check out Antonia74's cakes. She uses Italian Meringue Buttercream a lot and her cakes are gorgeous!

There are some IMBC cakes in my photos with flowers on them.

Also, check out www.cupcakecafe.com. They make gorgeous flowers with French buttercream.

If you're sick of super-sweet icing, you should definitely try this type. They are a little more difficult to make and more expensive than powdered sugar icings, but worth it, I think.

I like to use at least part salted butter in mine, even though most recipes call for unsalted. I like the flavor better. I also like adding some pure orange extract (a tsp) in addition to vanilla. I got that idea from ShirleyW and it's really tasty.

ladybuglau Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 11

OMG HollyPJ, your Doba cake is what I modeled my sister's birthday cake after since she wanted something fun with lime green and black, thank you for the inspiration (the picture is in my very small photo album icon_biggrin.gif )

HollyPJ Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #10 of 11

You did a great job on the cake! I'm glad my cake inspired you. icon_smile.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:31am
post #11 of 11

I found that I was having the same problem, until I read on here that you need to use thin icing to ice a cake. So now, I thin down my icing until it gets that light and fluffy texture and I don't have any trouble. I don't even have to use crumb coats now!

Its a practice makes easier!

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%