Fondant

Decorating By oritdecor Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 6:42pm by oritdecor

oritdecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oritdecor Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 9

I covered my cake with fondant(first time)but I get these folds on the side of the cake.What can I do to make the fondant cover the cake sides nice and without the folds?
Thank you. Orit.

8 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 9

Make the fondant a little thicker, I believe Collete Peters says it should be at least 1/4 of an inch thick. that might be a bit to thick but, it keeps it from folding.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 9

Also, slightly streching it as you smooth the sides helps alot too.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 9

As Wiltonlady stated, thick helps, but here are a couple more tricks I use. I use to under figure the fondant trying to be economical but caused more issues so now I just go big.........then drape and fluff, smooth from the top, drape and fluff, smooth....etc.

Think - puffing a wedding dress then smooth down till you get to the bottom. Cut with a pizza cutter and your good to go.

oritdecor Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much,I will try it,I was looking forward so much to start using fondant I guess it takes practice like everything else.
Thank you Orit

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

If you click onto my blogspot there is a free tutorial on how to cover a cake and board. Look down the right hand side of the blog for it. It might help you a little...I hope so! thumbs_up.gif

oritdecor Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 9

Yes it helps,thank you very much ,anything to help with fondant (cake covering)is very useful.Orit

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 9

Hi there,
Only roll out the fondant so it is just big enough - it will stretch a little from gravity pulling on it, and this will minimise the amount of excess fondant at the base which causes it to fold. Work quickly and smooth fondant by swiping hands upwards (ie from floor to ceiling).

oritdecor Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you redred this sounds like a good idea,see I have to wait to do this when I'm off ,I think this Sunday and Monday,and I will try it again,with all your suggestions and great tips,thank you guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%